Odium's power on Roshar

The Skybreakers

So it's mentioned that Odium is on braze. Braze being the planet next furthest from the Rosharan star. It is also mentioned odium is trapped in bonds he cannot break. The problem is that Odium can't use his full power with these bonds. Odium is definitely very powerful - enough to shatter Honour and send cultivation into hiding- but how much exactly can he do? He maintains much power with his army, and can still appear like he is on (planet) Roshar

Once again, if this discussion happened before please enter a link

The exact nature of his bonds are not known. He is bound by the powers of Honor and Cultivation according to the Stormfather in OB CH. 38 and the holder of Honor's power (or it's remnants) has the ability to release Odium, according to Odium in OB Ch. 57. 

On Braize
We have a WoB that says he is trapped on Braize and it's where the Heralds and Fused would go when they died during the Desolations. This is because of the Oathpact made between Honor and The Heralds ( OB Ch. 38). The Stormfather says it is inspired by how Honor and Cultivation bound Odium, but they are two separate bindings.  It's never stated that actual spren of Odium, like Ulim or the red stormspren, are bound along with The Fused, but it seems like they were. Ulim says "I am the one who escaped" to Venli in OB I-3. 

In the text, usually in the letters to Hoid from Frost and non-Rosharan Shards, he is referred to as not being able to leave the system that he's in. They don't refer to him being trapped on Braize specifically, but again Brandon said that he is stuck on Braize at a signing. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/172/#e8560

Everstorm

"He won't remain bound by this, the enemy. He'll find a way around it you know he will." Kalak WoK Prelude. 

I don't think Odium could manifest directly on Roshar before the Everstorm was brought over at the end of WoR. He does it all the time in OB, but only when the Everstorm is directly over someone. Venli was instructed to leave her windows open during the storm and Mr. T had to open the window before Odium could appear to him. 

The Everstorm also is now where the Fused go when they die instead of back to Braize. Odium has found his way around the Oathpact. 

What Does Winning Look Like? 

We don't know what his win condition is, absent Dalinar letting him go. Will killing Cultivation do it? If so why would Honor alone agreeing to release him be enough? At this point he's been in the system for so many thousands of years he would be heavily invested in the system. The more investiture that's in Roshar's physical and cognitive realms, the less he has to wield against other Shards outside of Roshar. 

Even if he was released from what originally bound him in the system, he would likely need to destroy existing life on Roshar to free up that investiture. Honor's final Vision that shows the surface of Roshar being obliterated might be extremely literal. 

Everything seemed to shake around Dalinar ... The ground itself ... "This is what could happen ... It's what I fear will happen. It's what he wants. The True Desolation." - WoK Ch. 75

Odium's Army On Roshar

Odium has a few sets of forces that can act on his behalf on the planet Roshar:

The Unmade - ancient spren who remain on Roshar in between Desolations. They don't go back to Braize and get stuck. Brandon has said that usually this is how Odium has influenced people on Roshar, through the Unmade. In Oathbringer Odium says he has been speaking to Dalinar even longer than he has been speaking to Amaram and he means "speaking" through the Thrill they are influenced by in combat.  https://wob.coppermind.net/events/107/#e1375

Golden Spren - Odium loves white-gold, some of his Spren like the one Kaladin talks to when he is with the Singers early in OB, appear as white-gold humanoids with Shin eyes (when Odium appears he has Shin eyes). When Odium directly uses his investiture it is often are often white-gold. The white-gold dagger used on Jezrien, the white gold power streaming behind him when he summons the Thrill to Thaylen Field. The molten gold realm Mr. T and Odium talk in at the end of OB. His human manifestation wears white and gold. His Singer manifestation when Venli looks at him at Thaylen Field has marbeled gold and white skin. 

The Void - He loves gold, but I'd argue his shard color is black/violet or "stygian blue" which is an impossible color. Voidlight that the Fused use to do magic is this color. The flame at the core of his being that Dalinar sees in this color and when he looks into the human forms eyes he sees this color inside. Notice on the chart halfway down this page that you can see stygian blue if you stare at bright yellow for a while then look at black. White-Gold is the fatigue template for his true power.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_color

Passion - As KR makes a progression of oaths to access magic through Honor & Cultivation, Odium's forces seem to have to give their pain, passion, strong emotions to him in order to access magic through Odium. He isn't Passion, he takes it from others. 

The Fused - Cognitive Shadows of ancient Singers killed by humans in the humans conquest of Roshar. They are able to possess the bodies of living Singers and some can possess stone creating Thunderclasts. This constant bonding of new bodies or "bodies" has torn up their cognitive aspects, causing insanity in some. 

Red/Black Spren - Odium likes to conserve his investiture. He co-opts existing spren and they appear red, like the storm spren. The Unmade we've seen are all either red or black. Black investiture often means a bunch of different investiture mixed together, sometimes called corrupted.

I think his Perpendicularity is on Braize; that's where he spends most of his time after all. I don't think it's easy for a Shard to alter where their perpendicular is located; I don't think Cultivation would let Moelach camp on hers if she had a choice in the matter. 

But it's also possible that he just doesn't have a Perpendicularity; given how much he likes to conserve his own Investiture, I feel like it's possible that he just made sure that it never settled down in large enough quantities to form a Perpendicularity. But if it does exist, I imagine using it is part of how the 'Fused and Heralds travel between Roshar and Braize' part of the Oathpact works.

But- on Roshar, it seems like he can only act directly if the Everstorm or one of the Unmade are nearby. As for how he was able to kill Honor despite those limitations: Good question, we don't actually know. Certainly he spend thousands of years trapped in a stalemate, unable to get at Honor or Cultivation. But then something happened to break that stalemate, and although I have a theory on that, the bottom line is that that's a pretty mystery. It had to have happened some point after the Recreance, because he was able to set up a vision of the Recreance for Dalinar, but there's very little information beyond that. 

Edited by Gilphon

• 2 weeks later...

Odium also appears to be able to manifest with the Highstorm, not just the Everstorm.

Perpendicularities form naturally. A Shard's long-term presence on a world would automatically result in the power pooling and a hole through the three realms. Odium's been there long enough to form a Perpendicularity, I'd reckon

• Chaos locked this topic