Experiments Necessary to the Scientific Advancement of the Metallic Arts(sort of an RP)

Karger

This is a fun thought experiment.  I wondered how I would go about increasing my scientific understanding of the metallic arts in era two.  Let us for convinced say that Wax had done well financially this year and founded a scientific institute for this purpose with the proceeds and that due to the southern scare(northern fears of the greater technological proficiency of the scadrian southerners) there is considerable public interest and support for our institute.   David Langdale famed scientist and a compounder have been chosen to lead this institute with my friends(who ever is interested in posting there own in context experiment please do so below). 

The first few things that David Langdale decides to do are

1. Take a large representative sample of the population and test for metallic abilities(all 32) as well as their ages and weather or not they knew ahead of time.  From this we will know how many metalborn are actually in the population which kinds are more common and weather or not these numbers are increasing of decreasing(age distribution).

2. Get a large number of coinshots and lurchers.  Measure their strength(how high they can push themselves/pull a given weight given their own weight), precision (how far away they can move a discreet amount of metal), and accuracy(how many metal objects they can move at a given distance without moving any other metal object).  From this we can get an coinshot and lurcher ratings and an average coinshot and lurcher who burn an average amount of a given metal.  We can also stack this against our metalborn census to see if allomancy is increasing or decreasing in strength over time and by how much.

3. Once experiment two is complete we have a unit of investiture to measure from.  From this we can get seeker ratings by having seekers tell us about average burners(how many of them there are and in which directions) and we can do the same with copperclouds(how much do you interfere with a seeker).

4. Once experiment three is finished we can use seekers to give ratings by finding average thugs tineyes and so on and seeing how detectable their burn is at a given distance compared to other burns of the same type. 

5. This is the one that really excites me.  Scadrains can compute the speed of light.  They probably know it by now.  https://sciencing.com/calculate-speed-light-5157189.html

Once they get Mexwellian equations (which honestly they would have by now if they were not so lazy) they should know that you can't go faster then the speed of light in our space.  This means that once it becomes known that bronze pulses are FTL they will start to learn about relmatic theory!

What other experiments should David Langdale and his colleges try out next?  Do we know the answers to all of them.  If not then great question to ask Brandon.  If yes then what implications could it have?  Do the metallic arts contain a way to discover the CR?  Also.  No medallions.  No hemalurgy.  The public is not aware of hemalurgy and does not have access to medallions.  They are aware of medallions at the institute but they don't have any yet.

Considering Era 2 and the proposed financial backer of this institute, some considerations of Twinborn should be included. Also what is proposed only takes into account two quadrants of the chart. No time experimentation with Bendalloy/ Chromium? No Aluminum/ Duraluminum experiments? And I'm sure one of those aspiring geniuses are going to be looking towards Mistborn stuff.

13 hours ago, Bigmikey357 said:

No time experimentation with Bendalloy/ Chromium

If you have a good experiment propose one! You are a colleague of the famous  David Langdale and the institute will except your ideas.  I await you eagerly.

Edited by Karger

1 hour ago, Karger said:

If you have a good experiment propose one!  I await you eagerly.

You can take advantage of Cadmium's conditions to use the Time Bubble popping to accelerate a vehicle out of it. Of course, this would require a lot of preparation and testing, as the object is usually thrown out wildly. Other types of experiments to try to shorten travel time with bendalloy would also be interesting. Maybe create a bubble not too big for the airship to popping for acceleration, and then create a bendalloy bubble big enough to cover the entire airship and accompany it to reduce travel time. 
It is always good to test what size a Bubble needs to be to accompany a large or fast vehicle, eventually they will allow FTL after all.

Edited by Raphaborn

21 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

It is always good to test what size a Bubble needs to be to accompany a large or fast vehicle, eventually they will allow FTL after all.

We don't have airships or the capacity to make bubbles that big. 

Names Ross I'm a biochemist and zinc compounder. I want to study the chemical properties of ettmetal beyond it blows up in water. I would also like to observe, with the help of seekers, exactly what chemically changing a charged metalmind does to the investure. Though I would refer the actual experimentation to psychologists I am interested in learning more about spiritual feurchemy.

Building off David's faster than light study. I would experiment on whether or not I can think faster than the speed of light (by which I mean get the electricity moving in my brain faster than the speed of light while tapping Zinc.)

49 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

want to study the chemical properties of ettmetal beyond it blows up in water.

OK then.  How do you propose to do so?

50 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I would also like to observe, with the help of seekers, exactly what chemically changing a charged metalmind does to the investure.

I don't understand.

51 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Building off David's faster than light study. I would experiment on whether or not I can think faster than the speed of light (by which I mean get the electricity moving in my brain faster than the speed of light while tapping Zinc.)

How do you propose we measure the speed of electricity in your mind.  Also what gives you the idea that your mind runs via electricity?

30 minutes ago, Debarra said:

Then repeat all this again for twinborn and see if their are any differences.

You will need a larger number of individuals to get statistically significant results and we might have trouble getting enough twinborn to test your hypothesis but that should definitely be possible.  You want to measure the efficiency ratings of twinborn basically.

Also a good question to ask Brandon if someone has not already.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

OK then.  How do you propose to do so?

I mean, blow it up under a microscope is a start. See if we can get it to bond with anything not explosively.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

Also what gives you the idea that your mind runs via electricity?

(Breaking roleplay electricity's role in the body was first proposed in the 1700's so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say they've figured it out).

7 minutes ago, Karger said:

How do you propose we measure the speed of electricity in your mind.

It would take some very precise measurements and a lot of estimation (but again breaking RP they first estimated it in the 1700's)

13 minutes ago, Karger said:

I don't understand.

Drop a filled coppermind in a hydrochloric acid and see if anything wigs out to seekersense. Rusting an ironmind or even forging a zinc mind into brass. Just to see if something happens.

Just now, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

I mean, blow it up under a microscope is a start. See if we can get it to bond with anything not explosively.

OK.

2 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

(Breaking roleplay electricity's role in the body was first proposed in the 1700's so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to say they've figured it out).

Also OK.but how do you propose we measure its speed?

3 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Drop a filled coppermind in a hydrochloric acid and see if anything wigs out to seekersense. Rusting an ironmind or even forging a zinc mind into brass. Just to see if something happens.

Ah I understand.  You want to determine if some kind of power leaves the atoms.  I believe that the power will not leave however to take this experiment one step further if we also do the reverse reaction and the power is accessible we will know that no power left(IE it is still sticky and no seekersense should be triggered).

1 minute ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Reaction time to stimulus made measurable by experimenting in a cadmium bubble and observing from outside.

The results will be distorted but maybe with good photography and the proper lenses you might be on to something.  Your experiment is green lit.

2 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

FTL anything should be impossible. If we can demonstrate it is possible using allomancy and/or feurchemy we will know that we are missing something huge. This might lead to a search for a source of near infinite power. Which we sharders know as the spiritual realm.

My experiment five should reveal the SR.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 7:26 PM, Karger said:
On 2/18/2020 at 7:21 PM, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

But in the Cosmere, you don't need a brain to think (cognitive shadows).

Experiments:

measuring Leeching/Nicrobursting speed

Nicrobursting Necrosil and Duralumin

Asking Harmony for things to do

Edited by Lucky MOPper

5 hours ago, Lucky MOPper said:

But in the Cosmere, you don't need a brain to think (cognitive shadows).

They don't know that.

5 hours ago, Lucky MOPper said:

Asking Harmony for things to do

That is cheating.

1. Investigate the distribution of investiture in metalminds. Cut them into unequal parts. Etch away a part of their mass. Investigate the role of surfaces by using powders as metalminds.
  2. Investigate the metals. Measure the role of impurities in the use of metalminds
  3. Time how long it takes to leach away metal reserves. Is the effect linear?
  4. Investigate Nicrobursts. Is there a loss of efficiency or an increase.
  5. Stick a ruby laser through the boundary of a time bubble.
  6. Put an electromagnet into a time bubble. What happens to the magnetic field outside teh bubble.
  7. Look at an iron compounder with a gravimeter.
  8. Look at an EEG of somebody being soothed or rioted

• 1 month later...
On 18/02/2020 at 4:46 PM, Karger said:

If you have a good experiment propose one! You are a colleague of the famous  David Langdale and the institute will except your ideas.  I await you eagerly.

• Put a time bubble on one branch of an interferometer.
  • Build a vacuum tube and put a time bubble only onto either the cathode or the anode
  • repeat that with an X-ray source
  • put a selenium cell into a time bubble, shine light on it from outside the bubble

9 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:
  • Build a vacuum tube and put a time bubble only onto either the cathode or the anode
  • repeat that with an X-ray source
  • put a selenium cell into a time bubble, shine light on it from outside the bubble

Trying to figure out what rays they absorb?

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Trying to figure out what rays they absorb?

No, I want to see what happens to stuff that crosses the boundary. We can be fairly certain that they are in general transparent. You can see out of and into a bubble after all. And there is no shift in frequency.

In these experiments we would find out what happens to electrons and photons. Basically the flux must be much denser on one side of the boundary. And the X-ray source would give me a spectrum of the electron energies for control. The lack of a red or blue shift is not the only mystery of speed bubbles. Another one is brightness. Suppose you put a source of light into a bubble. It will emit light at a certain power. But to an outside observer the power should grow or diminish as time is sped up or slowed down.

Edited by Oltux72
typo