8bitBob

Current State of Feruchemical Iron Theory?

Question

Hey 17th shard. I took a long step away from the Cosmere while waiting for new books and have recently come back. While poking around, I saw some bits of info that contradicted some of the older theories on Iron.

Here's my question: is it still assumed that, via a clever application of Iron storing and steel pushing off an object, then tapping Iron and Ironpulling, that one could effectively fly by reusing their anchor?

I had a series of mildly interesting posts planned based on this concept ages ago, so I was wondering if this idea still held up.

4 answers to this question

4 hours ago, 8bitBob said:

Here's my question: is it still assumed that, via a clever application of Iron storing and steel pushing off an object, then tapping Iron and Ironpulling, that one could effectively fly by reusing their anchor?

Conservation of momentum applies with f-iron.  Tapping slows you down.

5 hours ago, 8bitBob said:

Hey 17th shard. I took a long step away from the Cosmere while waiting for new books and have recently come back. While poking around, I saw some bits of info that contradicted some of the older theories on Iron.

I had a series of mildly interesting posts planned based on this concept ages ago, so I was wondering if this idea still held up.

That should actually work. You would basically be pogo sticking across the sky. The only issue I could see is that your pushes would be really weak because you would be storing during them. At the same time, your anchor would gain a ton of momentum from how hard you are pulling on it while tapping, so it would probably balance out.

On 17/02/2020 at 2:34 AM, Karger said:

Conservation of momentum applies with f-iron.  Tapping slows you down.

This should be correct. If you're confused about what he's talking about, remember that momentum = mass * velocity. By conservation of momentum, if you're halving your mass, then you double your speed/velocity, and if you double your mass then you halve your speed. 

Feruchemical iron relies on Investiture to make up the difference and ensure conservation of energy, as kinetic energy = ½ * mass * velocity², so halving your mass and doubling velocity would end up doubling your kinetic energy. This does suggest some really interesting things about Investiture and energy as a conversion, as it implies that when you Invest in an iron metalmind you're decreasing in some form of potential energy, but that's rather beyond the scope of the question. 

On 2/16/2020 at 4:08 PM, 8bitBob said:

Actually, because of the ways Pushing and Pulling work, this works even without feruchemical iron. We see this when Vin does the horseshoe trick in HoA. It's not a simple "define the force between you and the metal" mechanic. Check out some of the "broken physics" allomancy threads if you want to see some theories on that.