What was Gemmel’s fork made of?

Cadmium

At the end of The Eleventh Metal, Gemmel finds a book of theories on an Eleventh Metal, throws it away, then digs through Shezler’s metallurgy equipment. 

Then he carefully and meticulously selected a fork from the fallen tools and other scattered laboratory remains. He smiled and chuckled to himself. “Now that is a fork.” He shoved it into his pocket.

So... I’ve searched the forums and WoB and reddit and no results for anyone ever asking, WHY? Why was this fork noteworthy to a cracked Mistborn? Was it just a fancy fork of an allomantic metal? Aluminum? Malatium?  Or was it hemalurgically charged?

Any theories?

5A90B52F-59A4-4045-8936-62EF43F8F936.jpeg

Edited by Cadmium

26 minutes ago, Cadmium said:

At the end of The Eleventh Metal, Gemmel finds a book of theories on an Eleventh Metal, throws it away, then digs through Shezler’s metallurgy equipment. 

So... I’ve searched the forums and WoB and reddit and no results for anyone ever asking, WHY? Why was this fork noteworthy to a cracked Mistborn? Was it just a fancy fork of an allomantic metal? Aluminum? Malatium?  Or was it hemalurgically charged?

Any theories?

5A90B52F-59A4-4045-8936-62EF43F8F936.jpeg

Probably not the answer your looking for, but I'm betting he's just insane. Honestly the only way to figure something out might be to just ask Brandon yourself if anything is up.

On 2/15/2020 at 10:20 PM, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Probably not the answer your looking for, but I'm betting he's just insane. Honestly the only way to figure something out might be to just ask Brandon yourself if anything is up.

That was certainly my take

3c1104153bce28346f26ef8df73bad8b.jpg

23 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

I want to have gemmel and lift face off, fork to fork, and try to beat each other. Who would win? Nothing but time can tell. 

Well, unless that fork really is more than it seems, Lift's Shardfork has a distinct advantage...

8 hours ago, Cadmium said:
On 2/16/2020 at 10:15 AM, Honorless said:

Other threads discussing the fork, as requested:

Hmm. I just read those and they don’t inject anything more interesting into the conversation. 

really? I thought there were quite a few amusing theories, including the possibility of Hemalurgy and a connection with era 2, beyond the boring, but probably the most likely, Gemmel was just cracked.

Also, you don't seem to mind much that many of the responses here on your thread are lighthearted fork battles either?

I know that the first one is empty but these are the only threads on the topic, that I could find. I don't see what I did to offend you here: "they don’t inject anything more interesting into the conversation"

Edited by Honorless

6 hours ago, Tglassy said:

And thus the thread dissolves into battle between an Edgedancer and a Mistborn...

Forkbattle between Edgedancer and Mistborn. Wouldn't want to be arguing over the wrong thing. I mean a Mistborn obviously wins a spoonbattle, but forkbattles are an entirely different animal.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:06 PM, Honorless said:

I don't see what I did to offend you here: "they don’t inject anything more interesting into the conversation"

Dang text. You can’t trust anything not written in metal.  I wasn’t upset with you, just disappointed with the lack of anything else being out there!

Eureka! Well of Ascension, Part one. Vin receives a package from a metallurgist with a sample of Duralumin. The note attached mentions that aluminum is hard to come by, but the writer managed to buy some aluminum flatware from a fleeing noble’s estate. 

There’s at least a tiny bit of confirmation that Gemmel’s fork could’ve been aluminum.  Guess I know what I’ll be asking Brandon next time he stops through!

Edited by Cadmium

11 minutes ago, Cadmium said:

Dang text. You can’t trust anything not written in metal.  I wasn’t upset with you, just disappointed with the lack of anything else being out there!

Oh! Not entirely your fault, I was also pretty salty about stuff elsewhere and immediately made the worst possible assumption

• 5 months later...

I am quite certain that Kelsier would have noticed an entire fork being made out of atium and commented on it. Especially given how much money that much atium represents and how utterly absurd it would be to make an eating utensil out of it.

So gemmel is an experienced mistborn, but slightly deranged.

lift is an edgedancer, making her frictionless, but she is just a child with not much knowledge of her powers, not to mention that she has a shardfork that doesn’t want to kill people or harm them, for that matter.

with a fork off, I would think it would be without magic, but i’d reckon that gemmel would cheat a bit, wyndle or lift would notice, and start doing a bit of cheatery as well. The probably wouldn’t go all out, but it would still be intense.  Most likely it wouldn’t be to the death either. Gemmel wouldn’t restrain himself even though it is a child he’s facing. 

in the end, I would think Lift+Wyndle would win, and gemmel would probably accuse Lift of cheating, to which Lift would say he started it. Most likely gemmel would also want to trade for the shardfork as well.

Just now, Frustration said:

Malatium!

On 2/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, Cadmium said:

Eureka! Well of Ascension, Part one. Vin receives a package from a metallurgist with a sample of Duralumin. The note attached mentions that aluminum is hard to come by, but the writer managed to buy some aluminum flatware from a fleeing noble’s estate. 

There’s at least a tiny bit of confirmation that Gemmel’s fork could’ve been aluminum.  Guess I know what I’ll be asking Brandon next time he stops through!

These were my first thoughts as well, now that I think about it. I remember thinking that it was weird on how the fork was mentioned