Who LOVES The Legend of Zelda!

Boomerang Guy

Alright it's time for my full review of BotW

Now I'm going to come acrossed as rather negative, but I really enjoyed the game.

It was fun but I have a lot to talk about

1. Base movement speed is simply too slow, for a game built around exploration it is far too hard to explore
  2. Cooking is broken, one of the things that made me want to play was it's cooking system, but once I got the gist of it I really only cooked 2 dishes, either cooking a single Hearty ingredient, or a single Endura carrot, due to their full heal and full stamina recovery properties respectivly. They should only give the bonus hearts/stamina without the full base recovery, and need some more ingredient combo bonuses to fix it.
  3. Combat is far too easy, the enemies spend the entire time dealing with the knockback I'm dealing, and almost never attacking themselves, and it's too easy to get inside a Moblin's reach and just be invinsible. Perfect dodges and Bullet time only make the issue worse. Lynels are pretty much the only thing worth fighting now.
  4. Bosses, need more attacks and less cooldown between them.

1. Slow enough to enjoy the full scale of the world! I like running from place to place rather than just warping everywhere. And if you want to go speed then get a hors

2. Cooking is broken. And that's okay. Because I don't like dying very much.

3. It gets easy once you get the good weapons and upgrades. Unless you're a good gamer (like not me) then at lower levels each boko camp has its own flare and difficulties.

4. Agree. The blights were stupid and the hinoxes were pushovers. I like the taluses and lynels, though

4 hours ago, Frustration said:

Alright it's time for my full review of BotW

Now I'm going to come acrossed as rather negative, but I really enjoyed the game.

It was fun but I have a lot to talk about

1. Base movement speed is simply too slow, for a game built around exploration it is far too hard to explore
  2. Cooking is broken, one of the things that made me want to play was it's cooking system, but once I got the gist of it I really only cooked 2 dishes, either cooking a single Hearty ingredient, or a single Endura carrot, due to their full heal and full stamina recovery properties respectivly. They should only give the bonus hearts/stamina without the full base recovery, and need some more ingredient combo bonuses to fix it.
  3. Combat is far too easy, the enemies spend the entire time dealing with the knockback I'm dealing, and almost never attacking themselves, and it's too easy to get inside a Moblin's reach and just be invinsible. Perfect dodges and Bullet time only make the issue worse. Lynels are pretty much the only thing worth fighting now.
  4. Bosses, need more attacks and less cooldown between them.

Yeah, I agree with the cooking. The game kind of encourages you to try out different things. And it is fun, sometimes you ask yourself what happens if you mix A with B and a lot of the time a good recipe comes out. Instinct works really well too, if you think certain ingredients would taste well together in real life, most of the time they will actually work in the game. Some really good recipes out there. Except throwing a single truffle into the pan will always be better. 

About the difficulty, I feel it's tied to enemy variety, which would be the problem for me. Four enemy categories (bokoblins, guardians, humans, and wild life) may sound pretty good but then there are like less than 5 variants in each category, after that the only difference is color. Want difficulty? Fight a Lynel. Not difficult enough? Try the next tier of Lynel. Still not enough? Try master quest, it adds another tier of Lynel. 

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

1. Slow enough to enjoy the full scale of the world! I like running from place to place rather than just warping everywhere. And if you want to go speed then get a hors

Eh, to each their own.

3 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

3. It gets easy once you get the good weapons and upgrades. Unless you're a good gamer (like not me) then at lower levels each boko camp has its own flare and difficulties.

Story time!  (now this is one of my favorite parts of my playthrough) So I had just gotten the Camera from the Hateneo Tech lab, and decided to get some shrines I had seen nearby, one of which was the "Muetuo Sen" (probably horribly misspelled, but it's the modderate test of strength that is the closest the continent gets to eventide).

Now, near the top there is a camp that mainly contains black boko's. I was still at the point were a boko bat was a strong weapon. So there was no way I could win using conventional fighting, so after a few deaths, I managed to kil the archers and stand on the skull while pelting my oponents with bombs. Unlike now where the only reason I would change my fighting style is if I don't think the enemy is worth my weapon's durability, I really enjoyed having to change how I played to overcome an otherwise impossible challange.

7 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

4. Agree. The blights were stupid and the hinoxes were pushovers. I like the taluses and lynels, though

And Master Koga, whoever thought that that man deserved a boss bar needs a healthy dose of reality.

And Calamity Gannon, that was just sad, I've had more intresting fights against red bokoblins.

7 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

Yeah, I agree with the cooking. The game kind of encourages you to try out different things. And it is fun, sometimes you ask yourself what happens if you mix A with B and a lot of the time a good recipe comes out. Instinct works really well too, if you think certain ingredients would taste well together in real life, most of the time they will actually work in the game. Some really good recipes out there. Except throwing a single truffle into the pan will always be better. 

Yeah, ecspecially early on when you get tons of ingredients you've never seen before. I really hope cooking gets even more work done on the sequel.

Okay, not directly related to Legend of Zelda. But I just started listening to a book on Audible that makes me think of it. It’s called How to Defeat a Demon King in Ten Easy Steps. It takes place in a fantasy world that seems very video game-esque. People in the world gain classes, level up, get experience, fight monsters, find compasses in dungeons… It’s basically a Zelda game in book form. Unfortunately it is an audible original, but if anyone here doesn’t hate audiobooks you should check it out. 
*Also I haven’t finished it yet, so if anyone has read it already, no spoilers please.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...