Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quantus

Artifabrians UNITE

9 posts in this topic

Friends!  I am now building a Fabrial! And I stand by that description because, Comrades...Crystal Power!  I recently learned that Piezoelectric Transformers are a thing.  This means that I can make my power glove design work with a literal Crystal Power Module, rather that the (much bulkier) magnetic flyback transformer I was planning to use.  This makes my inner child so incredibly happy, you dont even know.

So Im going to come around and ramble about the progress of my designs every now and then, mostly to keep project momentum.  Im also going to randomly describe it in cosmere/realmic terms wherever possible, because reasons. 

For the uninitiated, piezoelectric crystals are everywhere, they are a really cool bit of physics where you can apply physical stress and get a burst of electric current (seen in those sparking furnace or grill starters), or conversely they will emit a very regular mechanical movement when an electric current is applied. Nearly every modern clock and computer uses these for precise timekeeping.  That was the limit of their usefulness as far as I knew, but it turns out you can use these for real Power distribution. The concept is similar to any other transformer (or lever or pulley system, for that matter) where you put energy in one side of an imbalanced structure and get a step-up or step-down version of that energy out the other side.  

In traditional magnetic transformers, you have to run an electric current though a coil, and if the current is constantly changing (ie AC power) that energy will move into a Magnetic Field. If you hold another coil within that field, the energy will come out the other end. Much like levers that trade distance for force, the relative number of tuns in the two coils will trade Voltage for Current.  Piezoelectric Transformers work in much the same way, except instead of moving the energy through the Magnetic domain to affect the change, it stores it as a physical force (vibration). One side of the piezo electric transformer is layered while the other is not, arranged in such they same mechanical vibration will yield different voltages and currents. 

Now, my goal is all about high voltages to get visible electric arcs as long  and showy as possible, but with relatively low currents (for safety as much as anything else).  This is the ideal application for PZT transformers, as the give a dramatic step-up in voltage (100:1) but doesnt scale up well for high current applications.  My general plan is to have a bank of deep draw batteries (chemistry TBD) providing anywhere from 12-30 volts, feed those to a resonant inverter circuit to drive the PZT, and feed the resulting output (~1200VAC @55khz) into a Cockcroft–Walton voltage multiplier to get me somewhere north of 20kv DC.  That will be the electricity available at the fingertips for basic arc fun.  I also intend to design the physical hardware to maximize corona discharge so I get a proper blue glow from the energized bits, but only time will tell how well that's going to work out.  

Secondary phase of this design will be to build a proper Marx Stack pulse generator into a baton, which should be capable of throwing over 100 kV. Which is also why I want the business end a solid foot or two away from me (this was the fundamental flaw in my old Marx Blade design).  Ive done smaller scale versions of this, they arent all that complicated and they utilize a satisfying number of spark gaps in the core function.  Looking into it, I should be able to also feed the glove power into several other fun things, including a coil gun or even a hand-held EMP (which of course I wont actually do because the FCC hates them). 

That's it for now, I will return with preliminary pictures.  Next step, reverse engineer the circuit on a laptop backlight power driver I found on ebay, or at least enough of it to cut into the right part of the circuit.  This is basically how I image Hemalurgy: a plan, a pile of unrelated circuit boards, and a hacksaw...  

I really hate to ask this question but what do you need a power glove for and what is it supposed to do?

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

I really hate to ask this question but what do you need a power glove for and what is it supposed to do?

"Need" is a really strong word B)  It's primary purpose is to make my inner child giggle and clap like it's a magic show.  It's the same reason I have a back-burner project to incorporate a Wimshurst Machine into a double blades battle axe.  I enjoy taking things that sound like ridiculous fantasy and making functional versionS (If I could find a real mechanism that somehow needed a Pyramid for energy harvesting, hooo boy!).  Bur beyond that it's just so I can tell myself Im ready to be a Supervi- ahh... SuperHero

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

t's primary purpose is to make my inner child giggle and clap like it's a magic show

It already did that to mine.

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

Bur beyond that it's just so I can tell myself Im ready to be a Supervi- ahh... SuperHero

I meant what is the functionality of it.  IE does it (I am being a bit ridiculous here just as an example) blast out force like an iron man repulsor?  To the best of my understanding you did not explain what it is supposed to do. 

14 hours ago, Karger said:

It already did that to mine.

I meant what is the functionality of it.  IE does it (I am being a bit ridiculous here just as an example) blast out force like an iron man repulsor?  To the best of my understanding you did not explain what it is supposed to do. 

In my head it will look like this:

340?cb=20121107111907

But in reality it will be more like these.  Assuming I can work out some proper power limiting adjustment, the basic glove will work as a taser, arc generator, maaayabe a windproof lighter, and the least useful light source ever.  With the HV contacts on the fingertips, I'll be able to build contacts into the grip of those other devices like the Marx Baton, so it will be the primary power source for that 2nd stage gizmo

Corona Discharge around the fingertip hardware will look something like this:Nje_shkarkese_korone_ne_nje_luge.jpg

Electric arcs between fingertips will be a lot like a jacobs ladder but Ill just have to play with the gap distances between fingers instead of letting it rise on wires.

hqdefault.jpg

And the Marx Stack baton will be almost precisely this thing, just portable and more linear:

Marxgeneratorfz.JPG

Edited by Quantus

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

But in reality it will be more like these.  Assuming I can work out some proper power limiting adjustment, the basic glove will work as a taser, arc generator, maaayabe a windproof lighter, and the least useful light source ever.  With the HV contacts on the fingertips, I'll be able to build contacts into the grip of those other devices like the Marx Baton, so it will be the primary power source for that 2nd stage gizmo

That is awesome!  Asami cosplayers are going to want a bunch of them.

Edited by Karger

This seems dangerous. In other words, just my kind of fun. @Quantus do you have plans to make the setup portable? I don't know how much the batteries would weigh, but they could probably be mounted on your back, right?

On 2/19/2020 at 3:06 PM, ILuvHats said:

This seems dangerous. In other words, just my kind of fun. @Quantus do you have plans to make the setup portable? I don't know how much the batteries would weigh, but they could probably be mounted on your back, right?

Definitely portable, though I doubt Ill be able to (safely) have as much current as that Marx stack picture so it will be a thinner/weaker arc.  I shouldnt need a full backpack size battery.  The battery chemistry is going to be the deciding factor there, I need something that is tolerant of high current and quick discharge.  I cant use normal alkaline batteries, but I have had good luck with rechargeable Nickel–metal hydride before (ran a similar system off 8 energizer AA's once upon a time). The vaping trend has led to some great strides in small, consumer available Lithium-Ion which are perfect for what I need (vapes are basically just blasting as much wattage as they can through a heating element) and they are getting better, safer, and cheaper by the day.  Worst case I can get some low profile Lead Acid batteries at the local Batteries Plus store, I was pleasantly surprised at how small some of them are, I'd only ever seen the big brick style for engines.  

Picture time, my crystal Transformers have arrived!  I have some bare ones, but I on the advice of a helpful redditor was able to get a pre-built driver circuit that were made for laptop screen backlighting.  I have to figure out what all the input pins do, which will be a whole other puzzle (that Im going to try crowd-sourcing to reddit).  GRound is easy to figure out, but I need to figure out the main power rail and it has a power control/trhottle in there somewhere.  I've been able to track down a datahsheet for the main control chip (the big square one) but it has a lot of options and Im not sure which they are using here.  Oh, to be clear the coil in the middle is a balancing inductor, the actual crystal transformer is the black thing on the far left

IMG_20200206_104337.thumb.jpg.5202705412fe89376727e61230cdc7d0.jpg

Edited by Quantus