So when someone in the Cosmere dies, their mind manifests on the Cognitive Realm for a while before being drawn into the Beyond. On the Spiritual Realm, their Spiritweb remains for a while before dissolving. But going back to the Cognitive Realm, specifically to the Cognitive Realm of Sel, there's a giant Investiture plasma storm raging, called the Dor, formed from the Shards Devotion and Dominion.

So what happens when you die on Sel? An unpleasant second death? Or can the Dor only hurt those who enter the Selish subastral Physically?

Or could the person's soul be changed by the Dor? We do have legends of lost souls, Svrakiss, on Sel. The Svrakiss could be Cognitive Shadows, lingering after contact with such a high amount of Investiture.

Edited by Dreamer

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

So when someone in the Cosmere dies, their mind manifests on the Cognitive Realm for a while before being drawn into the Beyond. On the Spiritual Realm, their Spiritweb remains for a while before dissolving. But going back to the Cognitive Realm, specifically to the Cognitive Realm of Sel, there's a giant Investiture plasma storm raging, called the Dor, formed from the Shards Devotion and Dominion.

So what happens when you die on Sel? An unpleasant second death? Or can the Dor only hurt those who enter the Selish subastral Physically?

That means you are plunged into a gigantic amount of Investiture. We have an example of that happening

(Scadrial)

Spoiler

It turned Kelsier into a Cognitive Shadow.

(Roshar)

Spoiler

Have we seen Riino eat or drink? Or use a toilet?

Just now, Oltux72 said:

That means you are plunged into a gigantic amount of Investiture. We have an example of that happening

(Scadrial)

Reveal hidden contents

It turned Kelsier into a Cognitive Shadow.

(Roshar)

Reveal hidden contents

Have we seen Riino eat or drink? Or use a toilet?

I don't think those are good examples.

Spoiler

Kelsier was pushed in by Preservation himself

and

Riino was an Elantrian

4 hours ago, The Traveller said:

But may be it does weird thing sometimes! 
After all on Sel, we have legends of svrakiss which are cognitive shadows. 

That's a good idea, trav! I added it

Technically, the Svrakiss are RAFO

Dirigible (paraphrased)

Are the Svrakiss cognitive shadows?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

RAFO. But you expected that.

Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing (Nov. 29, 2016)

But it has been theorised before that they are Cognitive Shadows

Edited by Honorless

Hmmm I never thought of that.

But I think it would destroy them

Like it's supposed to be a plasnw storm right and irl plasma storms vaporize things before they can even feel pain and maybe in the same way the second death is painless and stuff.

But I wonder , if it's possible the did accepts someone , not by intent but by chance. I mean like in kelsiers case , there was only preservation and he had his permission. 

The dor is a volatile mixture of Dominion and devotion. Mindless and polarized. I think that means they hate each other much like ruin and preservation did. So I don't think every Soul would survive it , but a few unlucky ones , well I think they would be driven mad and violent and unstable .

Hmm yeah I could totally see how the legends of svrakiss started from facts given by Elantrians or worldhoppers. 

So if this is correct , not only is sel's CR home to a plasma storm but also to mad, hyperinvested ghouls. Ooooooooo that place is dangerous as hell.

Actually that place is literally hell. Even more than Threnody. damnation.

Or maybe the svrakiss aren't evil at all

Maybe they are just unfortunate souls living in great pain , unable to pass on. Much like the Shoad Elantrians. And they are unfairly demonized. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, I have so many questions regarding Sel and these two Shards

Where are the other nations' magics? What about multiculturalism, like in the Rose Empire or Fjordell Empire, how does that affect the magic system? What would happen as (or if) they keep getting more pluralistic?

How can Shardic Power be contained in one Realm? How does the Spiritual Realm interact with Sel via the Dor's Investiture?

I'm so looking forward to the sequels

• 1 month later...

A very interesting point. If the passage of souls to the Spiritual Realm is disrupted by the investiture storm in the Cognitive, what do you suppose that placing someone into the perpendicularity on the mountain does? Does it supersede the transition through the Cognitive and send one directly to the Spiritual Realm? Or perhaps all souls on Sel are absorbed into the Dor on death, and the perpendicularity merely makes that process painless.

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

A very interesting point. If the passage of souls to the Spiritual Realm is disrupted by the investiture storm in the Cognitive, what do you suppose that placing someone into the perpendicularity on the mountain does? Does it supersede the transition through the Cognitive and send one directly to the Spiritual Realm? Or perhaps all souls on Sel are absorbed into the Dor on death, and the perpendicularity merely makes that process painless.

Moving through a perp seems to normally be between the Physical and the Cognitive.

In Stormlight Archive, we see

Spoiler

Riino the lighthouse keeper, the same Elantrian who was the first one to be submerged into the pool

Plus, the Dor is somehow blocked from the Spiritual

On 3/10/2020 at 8:19 AM, R J said:

How does the Spiritual Realm interact with Sel via the Dor's Investiture?

I dont think it directly interacts with the SR but Uses an “intermediary” such as intent

So with this WoB we can deduce that a persons mind reaches into the SR to somehow allow them to draw a hole directly to the CR and make an aon?

or maybe an Elantrian is the bridge by which the Dor can interact with the SR

Kurkistan

So is that the same thing with Commands, are there like ideals that are Commands?

Brandon Sanderson

This is more of a-- For you to interface with the magic, you need to be able to comprehend it. And so forming a Command-- The same thing happens in Elantris, you know they don't accidentally draw runes, right? The intention is part of interfacing with the magic. So it's like your mind reaching into the Spiritual Realm and you have to like conceive something.

Firefight Chicago signing (Feb. 20, 2015)

@Eternal Khol, that's interesting, directly reaching into the Spiritual without using the Cognitive as an intermediary. Doubly interesting actually, since the main source of Investiture is itself blocked from the Spiritual. Yet Wulfden seems to have access to Fortune...

What do you think happens to one's Cognitive Aspect when they die on Sel? Get absorbed by the Dor? Quick second death? Turned into a Cognitive Shadow, possibly the Svrakiss?

On 5/12/2020 at 3:17 AM, R J said:

@Eternal Khol, that's interesting, directly reaching into the Spiritual without using the Cognitive as an intermediary. Doubly interesting actually, since the main source of Investiture is itself blocked from the Spiritual. Yet Wulfden seems to have access to Fortune...

What do you think happens to one's Cognitive Aspect when they die on Sel? Get absorbed by the Dor? Quick second death? Turned into a Cognitive Shadow, possibly the Svrakiss?

or maybe the Dor can interact with the SR and still be stuck in the CR

Kinda like how something in a cage can still interact with what's outside even though it's stuck where it it.

As long as the power isn't being directed back to the SR it should be able to interact with it in some ways right

The dor is the most confusing thing ever :wacko:

as for the cognitive aspect, I have no idea

Edited by Eternal Khol