Mobile App?

BlueNinja

It has been suggested. There is a mobile version of the website. An app would require large amounts of programming with very few benefits. It would allow push notifications, but emails can be sent without an app.

I am not enthusiastic about an app. I discuss why I am not enthusiastic about an app in this post (which links to an earlier post): 

An app is a long term commitment of time and resources that do not seem worthwhile to me. I would really need to be persuaded of the purpose of an app to spend any time on it. 

On 2/11/2020 at 11:50 PM, Chaos said:

An app is a long term commitment of time and resources that do not seem worthwhile to me. I would really need to be persuaded of the purpose of an app to spend any time on it. 

This is fair enough.  If you ever decide to make one, you have my volunteer aid.

3 hours ago, BlueNinja said:

This is fair enough.  If you ever decide to make one, you have my volunteer aid.

I would still like to know what actual advantages the app would have? What are the benefits for doing this? This has never been adequately explained to me.

Personally, it would allow mobile use as I do not keep a web browser on my phone.  Furthermore, it allows for push notifications.  Larger corporations take of direct access to the phone OS to gather info.  For similar services - i.e. Reddit - users will make third-party clients to receive the benefits.  Eventually the companies buyout the third-party clients to standardize user experience, control their brand, and ensure the clients stay updated.  In other words, simply minor conveniences.  From your perspective it makes little sense.  Overall, it is a very high cost endeavor with little payout.

• 3 weeks later...

(Computer scientist here!) An app would be an awesome idea, if and only if it helps the website become more accessible and adds extra features. Honestly, it’s a cool idea but for something like this website it’s not totally needed. Most apps these days are actually just webpages. With IOS and Android using different software for native apps a lot of devs are just making websites and creating an app that links to it. I personally just create a shortcut to the website with my iPhone (see picture). It’s easy to get straight to favourite websites that way.

AEA1A468-C600-477F-8795-998C7C748344.jpeg

Edited by OriginalHuman

• 11 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 6:59 PM, Chaos said:

I would still like to know what actual advantages the app would have? What are the benefits for doing this? This has never been adequately explained to me.

I think phone notifications are the major drive for people's desire for an app. Get a little buzz or pop-up whenever you get a Shard notification. It'd be very nice in people's lives.

That said, I don't think we need an app.

1 hour ago, Knight of Iron said:

I think phone notifications are the major drive for people's desire for an app. Get a little buzz or pop-up whenever you get a Shard notification. It'd be very nice in people's lives.

That said, I don't think we need an app.

Pretty sure on sites that use browser notifications you can have it notify you on your phone. At least on Chrome I believe. :) So this is already a solved problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you only get browser notifications if the site is one of your open tabs, otherwise it won't notify you. At least that's how it seems to function on my laptop. That might be the issue

On 2/21/2021 at 7:21 PM, aneonfoxtribute said:

Weird. Just got a notification but it didn't notify me outside of the site 

29 minutes ago, Wyndlerunner said:

I think you only get browser notifications if the site is one of your open tabs, otherwise it won't notify you. At least that's how it seems to function on my laptop. That might be the issue

It's not an issue on my laptop, it's more an issue on my phone. Having them on my phone would be far more convenient. I get the notifications just fine on my laptop

• 3 years later...

It's definitely a common suggestion for forums or communities to have a mobile app for easier access on the go. I'm not sure if the coders at 17th Shard have thought about it, but it would surely enhance user experience. As for the possibility, it might depend on various factors like resources and user demand.

There have been more recent threads covering this topic and they have summarized why this isn't something we'll be doing soon; as this is a three year necro I'm locking this thread. 

• AonEne locked this topic