What could the 4th Windrunner Ideal be?

BlueNinja

I was perusing the Arcanum when I came across a WoB that came with a potential option for the 4th Ideal of the Windrunners.  The one suggested is, ""I will forgive myself for those I've failed to protect".  Personally, I believe the fourth Ideal may be more along the lines of: I recognize that I must kill to protect OR I will protect the masses by stopping the few.  In essence my idea is that Kaladin and all Windrunners will have to recognize that conflict will occur and that the average person (Singer or Human) can be caught in the struggle for power between greater forces than themselves.  Therefore, to protect as many as they can Windrunners will have to kill or disable the greater forces of evil, and as a result their underlings.

I may be completely incorrect.  Please let me know your thoughts.

Edited by BlueNinja

13 hours ago, BlueNinja said:

I was perusing the Arcanum when I came across a WoB that came with a potential option for the 4th Ideal of the Windrunners.  The one suggested is, ""I will forgive myself for those I've failed to protect".  Personally, I believe the fourth Ideal may be more along the lines of: I recognize that I must kill to protect OR I will protect the masses by stopping the few.  In essence my idea is that Kaladin and all Windrunners will have to recognize that conflict will occur and that the average person (Singer or Human) can be caught in the struggle for power between greater forces than themselves.  Therefore, to protect as many as they can Windrunners will have to kill or disable the greater forces of evil, and as a result their underlings.

I may be completely incorrect.  Please let me know your thoughts.

I just have to say how happy it makes me that my question is provoking discussion. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/02/2020 at 4:23 AM, BlueNinja said:

I was perusing the Arcanum when I came across a WoB that came with a potential option for the 4th Ideal of the Windrunners.  The one suggested is, ""I will forgive myself for those I've failed to protect".

1. This fits ill with the recording. In fact of the many hypotheses it fits least, as it implies that you want to protect everybody. The recording contradicts that.
  2. It does not explain the connection between Kaladin's breakdown in Kholinar and the fourth oath.

Personally, I believe the fourth Ideal may be more along the lines of: I recognize that I must kill to protect OR I will protect the masses by stopping the few.

But their mission is not to protect the masses. Syl explicitely rejects the idea that for the good of the country Elhokar should be eliminated.

In essence my idea is that Kaladin and all Windrunners will have to recognize that conflict will occur and that the average person (Singer or Human) can be caught in the struggle for power between greater forces than themselves.

That fits the theme of the battle in the palace.

Therefore, to protect as many as they can Windrunners will have to kill or disable the greater forces of evil, and as a result their underlings.

That is a very utilitarian interpretation which arguably conflicts with the Honorsprens' undertsanding of "journey before destination". Nor are the Windrunners about justice. "You are not a Skybreaker".

• Chaos locked this topic