Talenelat’Elin Portrait Glyphs

Smye

Alright Sharders, I know it's a long shot - but the payoff would certainly be worth it. I've spent some time combing over the gorgeous portrait of Taln by Donato Giancola released by Tor today. As I was drawn into the piece, I couldn't stop staring at the glyphs etching the top step he's standing upon. A cursory search turned up no in-world glyphs, but I'm hoping I've missed something you can help us find. Does anyone have any insights into the particular language etched here? Or any insights as to possible meaning? Or else confirmation that the inimitable Donato created these glyphs with his artistic license so I can sleep tonight?

4 minutes ago, Smye said:

Alright Sharders, I know it's a long shot - but the payoff would certainly be worth it. I've spent some time combing over the gorgeous portrait of Taln by Donato Giancola released by Tor today. As I was drawn into the piece, I couldn't stop staring at the glyphs etching the top step he's standing upon. A cursory search turned up no in-world glyphs, but I'm hoping I've missed something you can help us find. Does anyone have any insights into the particular language etched here? Or any insights as to possible meaning? Or else confirmation that the inimitable Donato created these glyphs with his artistic license so I can sleep tonight?

Do you have a link? 

6 minutes ago, Smye said:

Yep! Here's the article and a link to the portrait directly.

As far as I know, that is a new script that we haven't seen in previous art. @Paleo mused over on the Discord that there doesn't seem much repetition between characters, so it'd be interesting to see exactly what script this turns out to be.

What we do know for sure, is that the central Glyph on the second step is the glyph for the Stonewards, and the two arrow-like notches on either side are the Rosharan numeric 9.

Edited by asmodeus

4 minutes ago, Smye said:

Yep! Here's the article and a link to the portrait directly.

As far as I know Donato hasn't done any cosmere work so I'm leaning towards artistic license. They're definitely not glyphs because they're asymmetrical. 

On the other hand his honorblade does match the description given in the WoK epilogue and the glyph in the next step down is quite reminiscent of the stoneware glyph so there may be something. I really just don't know on this one.

16 minutes ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

As far as I know Donato hasn't done any cosmere work so I'm leaning towards artistic license. They're definitely not glyphs because they're asymmetrical. 

On the other hand his honorblade does match the description given in the WoK epilogue and the glyph in the next step down is quite reminiscent of the stoneware glyph so there may be something. I really just don't know on this one.

And he nailed the symbol for 9 aligning with the Stonewards...

37 minutes ago, asmodeus said:

What we do know for sure, is that the central Glyph on the second step is the glyph for the Stonewards, and the two arrow-like notches on either side are the Rosharan numeric 9.

and 9 is Taln's number(Jes is one and Ishar is 10 for example)

Also, I’m super curious about the columns behind him. Those twisted bodies are pretty haunting, and the skulls and bones on the left give me Catacombs of Paris vibes. And do we have any ideas as to what the glowing motes are? On the other paintings Jezrien was pretty clearly surrounded by windspren, and Vedel by lifespren, which are both the cousins to their respective orders’ spren. Could those be the Stoneward cousins?

And yeah, I’m most excited to see Kalak and Chana, I’m very happy that we’ll be getting all the Heralds eventually.

10 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

Also, I’m super curious about the columns behind him

In this case I think that is pretty standard iconography for Taln.  Dalinar mentions similar drawings in the temple in Theylan city if I remember correctly.

14 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

Jezrien was pretty clearly surrounded by windspren, and Vedel by lifespren

Could you find those for me? 

14 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

are both the cousins to their respective orders’ spren. Could those be the Stoneward cousins?

That seems likely.  I suppose that they might be substancespren(like the half shard fabrials).

33 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

Weird to see a Herald in plate. 

Jezrien was wearing plate in his portrait as well. I’m guessing it’s in-world artistic license, since Nale believes he is the only herald to join their prospective order. If he’s not wrong, that rules out Plate. And normal plate would simply be a hindrance to the heralds.

@Karger It’s just the Herald endsheets from OB. Don't know how to insert an image on my phone, but I’ll link them. I’m talking about the small blue streaks around Jezrien and the glowing green motes around Vedel. Even Ishar has golden motes floating around him, and those could easily be from the fires, but I like to think that they’re gloryspren. 

8 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Jezrien was wearing plate in his portrait as well. I’m guessing it’s in-world artistic license, since Nale believes he is the only herald to join their prospective order. If he’s not wrong, that rules out Plate. And normal plate would simply be a hindrance to the heralds.

Forgot that, good point!

1 hour ago, Karger said:

I remember now.  This one always really bothered me since Jezrien famously does not wear a crown.

I believe there is a quote to the likes of "Jezrien looked regal, though he hand't worn a crown for centuries" in the TWoK prologue. That implies he did at one point (maybe Ashyn, maybe on Roshar)

11 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

I believe there is a quote to the likes of "Jezrien looked regal, though he hand't worn a crown for centuries" in the TWoK prologue. That implies he did at one point (maybe Ashyn, maybe on Roshar)

That's true. In WoR prologue Kalak is arguing with Nale in the hallway when Jasnah walks by. Kalak says "That creature carries my lord's own blade" speaking of Szeth's having Jezrien's honor blade. Implying he was some sort of royalty. 

When describing how Taln was not supposed to be Herald he says "THE ONE WHO WAS NOT MEANT TO JOIN THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE. THE ONE WHO WAS NOT A KING, SCHOLAR OR GENERAL." OB Ch. 38 

Jezrien is also known as the Herald of Kings.  https://coppermind.net/wiki/Jezrien#Herald_of_Kings

14 hours ago, Karger said:

I remember now.  This one always really bothered me since Jezrien famously does not wear a crown.

As Brandon has mentioned in interviews, these portraits are like the Roshar equivalent of the Sistine Chapel.  It's in world artists drawing what they imagine their religious heroes look like.  Symbolism takes priority over strict accuracy.  Jez is remembered as the King of the Heralds, hence a crown.

On 2/10/2020 at 8:32 PM, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

Isaac Stewart gives other artists guidance and frequently hides in little Cosmere details.  For example the artwork of Sja-Anat in OB was drawn by Miranda Meeks, yet contains a stylized border full of Thaylen letters that largely match the letters Isaac used earlier in the map he drew of the Southern Frostlands in WoR.

I'm sure these letters mean something.  They look very different from the other letters we've seen though.  Their simplicity reminds me of the numbers though.  It would seem very likely that the name "Talenelat’Elin" is in there somewhere.

Also I agree, the little orange dots are probably the Stoneward spren?  Rockspren?  Jezrien's picture had windspren on it, and Vedel's had lifespren, so it would match the pattern.

14 hours ago, teknopathetic said:

1 hour ago, Subvisual Haze said:

As Brandon has mentioned in interviews, these portraits are like the Roshar equivalent of the Sistine Chapel.  It's in world artists drawing what they imagine their religious heroes look like.  Symbolism takes priority over strict accuracy.  Jez is remembered as the King of the Heralds, hence a crown.

Gavilar debated wearing a crown.  Jezrien had famously refused to wear one.  The implication in this story is that Jez is so confident in himself and his authority that he does not require physical indications of his power.

Edited by Karger

38 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

Oh crud I think they're the same letters scribbled around the edges of the Oathgate map (which we never cracked) https://www.brandonsanderson.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/OB_MAP-OATHGATES_ebook-scaled.jpg

I'm pretty certain that it has been cracked. I remember seeing the translations for that image. If somebody else remembers the thread I was thinking of, can they post the link? I'm having trouble finding it.

Does it look like the glyph characters are glowing/on fire? Matching the spren hovering around Taln?

Maybe these portraits tell us more about Vorin beliefs regarding the Heralds than providing information about the Heralds themselves? As the Heralds slink back out of their hiding places, it could be interesting to watch how that dissonance/mismatch impacts their relationships with the humans (Vorin or not) on Roshar.

3 minutes ago, Bigmikey357 said:

Makes me want to see a side by side comparison between the Heralds at their most glorious vs their current incarnations.  Nale and Ishar probably look the most like what they used to while Jezrian (RIP) and Taln probably offer the most contrast. 

I agree it would be an interesting contrast to see them side by side. Seeing all the artistic renditions of the heralds comes only second to seeing the artistic renditions of the spren which I cannot wait to see!