Dakhor and Odium??

Chunku

So I have had this thought for a while and not been able to find anything. Don’t know if BS has said definitely not or anything either, if it turns out to be bunk feel free to take the thread down. But here goes, so I re-read Elantris recently and that got me thinking about the Dakhor Monks and why they are the way they are. I have no doubt that at least a good portion of their power comes from the Dor and they are heavily influenced like most of Fjordell by Dominion’s investment. But is it possible that during whatever happened between Odium and the other 2 shards. He may have either accidentally splintered a small segment of himself or accidentally invested some of himself on Sel, and “that small piece” mixed with the Dor and only the Dakhor have managed to access Odiums little piece, where the rest of Sel doesn’t even realise it exists.

After all, the Dakhor are all very angry people.

You could argue that through all the ritual sacrifice not only their bodies but their souls get twisted, (Similar to the returned souls of the Parshendi through Odiums influence) Their souls get mixed with that of those sacrificed.

The Dakhor Monks also glow red, and that is a very popular colour of Odium’s.

As I said just a thought and I would love to hear opinions on it.

Odium did not leave any of his power behind on Sel

sufficientlyadvanced

It says that it's dangerous to travel to Shadesmar on Sel. Why?

Brandon Sanderson

It has to do with the Dor and the lack of an entity controlling much of the power Odium left in his wake on Sel.

Phantine

Woah, that's interesting. I had no idea Odium left little bits of his power on Sel... I guess it kinda makes sense for evil monks to be powered by pure hate, though.

Brandon Sanderson

Odium did not leave his power behind, one should note. He left several other powers which are now, to a large extent, mindless...

Windrunner

If you wouldn't mind answering, does Roshar have a similar problem, with Honor being Splintered?

Brandon Sanderson

No, Roshar does not have the same problem. There are some differences going on. (One reason being that the spren are far more extensive on Roshar, and provide something of a "release valve." The seons and the skaze on Sel are not numerous enough to fulfill a similar function. Though, of course, that's only one part of the puzzle. Raw power is dangerous.

It's one reason everyone should be thankful Kelsier was around on Scadrial.

General Reddit 2013 (March 11, 2013)

Here's another relevant WoB that makes it clear that not all instances of a given emotion or attitude has to be associated with a Shard that represents the same:

vanahian

We know that Bavadin has several 'avatars' allocated at some Shardworlds, major and minor, over the cosmere...is Austre from Nalthis one of them? Is the Wyrn of the Fjordell Empire or Jaddeth one of them?

Or if we recall what the followers of Shu Dereth believes that 'Jaddeth rewards devotion in his followers, as well as ambition' + something you said some time ago about the ramifications of Ambition demise... Is the Wyrn or Jaddeth Himself connected with Ambition?

Brandon Sanderson

You can expect things on Sel to be either Dominion or Devotion. People can be ambitious--even Shards--and reward ambition even if they're not specifically tied to the Shard of Ambition.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 27, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic