Mid-Range Game 40: A Defiant Rebellion

Elandera

Rayne aimed carefully. This will be a blizzard to last the ages. His destructors flashed out, and in a blink the Krell fell away before him. He pulled into a wild spin, firing continuously to create a veritable arc of destruction. Krell fell once again like snow. He laughed. He could hear the deaths singing. At each sound in the endless song, he blasted another away. He could feel the song surrounding him, blotting out all else as he reveled in it, lived for it. And then...

Eyes. There were countless eyes in the music. Eyes of the void and of hunger. Eyes that wanted to blot out all life.

Rayne screamed. His composure was lost. The world around him was blurry. His limp hands fell from the controls as his fighter plunged towards the ground. His mind was shattered by the music. All he could hear were the eyes.

Oh dear. I seem to have gotten myself into a bit of trouble. Mind helping out over here, my clever friend?

All right! Sorry I wasn't on earlier this cycle. Life has kind of been kicking my limp corpse around a barn, to quote the old proverb. 

On 2/21/2020 at 0:43 PM, xinoehp512 said:

I'm slightly suspicious of Abstrusity. I don't like either of the lynches that have sprung up on Elkanah, and the second one feels similar to the first. Slight elim read.

My suspicion of Elkanah was mostly due to his actions back in C1. Early in C2, he acted similarly suspicious. Since then though, he seems to have become a model of good behavior. One interesting thing is that he's either an heir, or a deep reserve pilot is protecting him. Anyone want to speak up about that? 

On 2/21/2020 at 10:16 AM, Rathmaskal said:

So I'm waffling back and forth right now between voting on Abstrusity to follow up on my hunch of 'one of Kidpen and Abstrusity is likely evil' and voting on xino for similar reasons to what Araris outlined last cycle.

I voted first. Don't pin Kidpen's silly actions on me. You were all too trustworthy back then. 

The manipulation of votes around Elkanah doesn't speak all that well for him, but I think I still trust him more than before. I don't know who seems suspicious any more, but I think first place will go to Kidpen for now. Just a hunch.

Here's my list of the living players, minus myself.

1. Kynedath

Suspects Sart C1, thinks Coda lynch is NAI, No RP. Village read.

2. Zillah

Not much C1. C2, expresses mild suspicion of TGK, Abstrusity, Elkanah, and Sart. No RP. Has not yet voted. Very slight village read

3. Elkanah

First post C1 is RP and asking for vanilla roleclaims. Joins the Coda lynch. Mild suspicion of Zillah. Thinks Coda lynch was NAI. C2, votes Zillah then Kidpen. Has been active enough to earn all chits. Mild elim read.

5. Rathmaskal

Early RP post that is just short of the word count. Didn't have a second D1 post. Seems to misunderstand the role/item action mechanic. Voted on Kidpen. Very slight village read.

6. StrikerEZ

Slight suspicion of Fifth early, followed up with a vote. No other contribution. Village read.

9. Xinoehp512

First post is thoughts on rules. Has an RP post C1. Suspicious of me and TGK, doesn't follow with a vote. Votes on Kidpen C2, and also posts RP again. Vote on me currently. Active enough for all chits. Mild elim read.

11. Fifth Scholar

Early suspicion of Kidpen. Disagrees with my vote on Elkanah. Dislikes Sart's plan. Poke vote on Striker. Suspects Kidpen and Abstrusity, switches vote to Kidpen. Dislikes Coda lynch. No RP (also hasn't read the books). C2 votes on me for voting on Xino. Switches to Kidpen. No C3 contribution. Very slight elim read.

12. Abstrusity

Starts off with RP. Mild suspicion of Zillah, Elkanah, me, TGK, Sart. Votes on Coda. C2 votes on Elkanah. C3 votes on Kidpen :unsure: @Abstrusity, we already murdered him. He was good. Has been active enough for all chits. Mild elim read. Also probably not on Elkanah's team.

14. Sart

Opens with RP, and the chit passing plan. Admits flaws in the plan, pokes Shane. C2 votes on Elkanah. Slight village read.

So my elim reads are Elkanah, Xino, Fifth, and Abstrusity. One criteria I considered was that elims would possibly be more likely to do RP posts and to try and get all the chits, in the hopes of getting both starting pistols.  The only unlikely paring here is Abstrusity/Elkanah. I'd probably lean toward Elkanah being village, since I don't have elim reads on myself, TGK, or Rath, and we were the most involved in the Kidpen lynch gaining momentum. I've already voted on Xino a couple of times, but nobody else seems to agree with me on that (Fifth/Xino seems like a reasonable elim pairing). I'm less confident in my read on Fifth than Abstrusity, so that is where my vote will go. Not to mention that voting on a confirmed villager doesn't seem like the best idea.

If anyone else shares my suspicions of the above 4 players, I'd be happy to switch votes.

Vote Count:
Sart (1): Kynedath
Araris (1): Xinoehp512
StrikerEZ (1): Elkanah
Abstrusity (1): Araris

Another cycle of sporadic voting. I'm not going to help matters by voting on Xinoehp, but he's my biggest suspicion at the moment. I could definitely see a team between him and Elkanah. He broke the tie to save them, and I haven't been getting good gut vibes from either of them. Add that he is voting on Araris, who I currently lean village on, and I have my suspect.

I was assuming no one had roles, because on Day 1 two people without roles were lynched. However, that is clearly not the case, as I was roleblocked and we had our Gunner die.

Given that the Elims probably have a gun, this is going to be do or die. I hope my read on Xinoehp is right, but we need to have a backup plan. If you have enough chits, buy a gun ASAP. If you don't have enough chits, consider passing your chits to someone else.

6 hours ago, Elandera said:

Yes, any attacks will be announced. 

The item count last round was 2 guns, 1 Hovercar.

This means that either TGK didn't protect anyone, or he was roleblocked and killed at the same time. I think the latter is more likely, which means that the elims have a roleblock. Either way, Elkanah is correct in stating that the elims almost certainly are the ones that have the gun at this point.

---

Taifend spun and weaved, taking out one Krell after another. His radio chattered in the background. He paid as much attention to it as he could spare, which wasn't much. Luckily, he was good enough on his own that he didn't often need other people to help him. Mostly, he helped others.

Most people didn't do that, he knew. Flight crews were intended to function as a tight unit, with each person's strengths covering for another's weakness. Taifend's only real weakness, though, was the difficulty he had working with others. Somehow, he could never really get the camaraderie that everyone else seemed to feel. 

It could be argued that having no friends made him a better pilot- he spent all his time he would have spent on others improving himself instead. But at the same time, was it really worth it? The leaders of the DDF seemed to think so, but Taifend wasn’t so sure. 

Penguin flight was one of the last to arrive at the battle. Even from some distance it had been apparent this would be a bloody and costly fight. Penguin flight engaged immediately keeping nearer the north side of the wreckage. It looked like the debris this time included ships that could be mistaken for Pocos! They were built differently, presumably to maximize use in out of atmosphere combat, but they still looked very serviceable. Normally the DDF looked just for the acclivity rings to build their own ships in igneous, but fully or even slightly functional ships would be a great boon in Alta! It was no wonder there were so many Krell! Estimates were that already eighty to eighty-five krell ships were dispatched to keep those from us.

The Penguin flightleader's voice came over the radio "would you look at that guy go!" He gave a low whistle. 

Clever turned from where his wing mate had taken down a krell ship. It was going to take about thirty seconds to reignite his shield anyway, so Clever surveyed the battle until he saw one pilot chasing a small group of krell. His movements were flawless and it looked almost as if he anticipate where the krell were going next. That was a poor choice as he was sure to attract a lot of attention. Clever's shields went back up as he saw this pilot take down his second... no third krell ship in as much time. 

"Two on the right" his wing mate called over the private channel on the radio.

"Let's take them...." Clever started, but suddenly the pilot went into a freefall. Immediately four ships were on its tail making sure it couldn't recover.

Scud. Clever punched the button for the private line to his wing mate. "We've got one of ours falling fast at 3 O'clock, 800 feet down."

"Do we make that?" came the reply, but both had already punched their thrusters headed to aid the falling showboat. 

Sure enough the krell had noticed the fancy flying as well and several were on the same trajectory. Clever pushed his ship up to mach 4 to close the gap.

"Be ready!" He shouted to his wing mate. 

"We're here to help." Penguin 1 and 4 had also come when they saw the pilot fall. 

Clever dropped to mach 2 and spun in through an ahlstrom loop to reduce the strain of the turn. He hit his IMP dropping his shields, the pilots, and the five or six krell surrounding them. He lanced the falling pilot and threw his acclivity ring into an ascent as destructor fire surrounded him.

How it originally ended:

Clever boosted past the chasing krell, killed his booster and threw his acclivity ring into full drive upward. Then he set off his IMP, dropping his own shield and that of the four or five krell he'd been able to catch up to. Destructor blasts rained around and past him as his grav caps did what they could to reduce the effect of the sudden G-force. It wasn't enough. The blood drained from Clever's head down into his feet and everything went black. 

-----------------------------------

4 hours ago, Abstrusity said:

Since then though, he seems to have become a model of good behavior.

Don't go tarnishing my reputation :P

One interesting thing is that he's either an heir, or a deep reserve pilot is protecting him. Anyone want to speak up about that? 

That is definitely an interesting thing! Even if I claimed heir... would you believe me?

I don't know who seems suspicious any more, but I think first place will go to Kidpen for now. Just a hunch

I second this

4 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

3. Elkanah

First post C1 is RP and asking for vanilla roleclaims. Joins the Coda lynch. Mild suspicion of Zillah. Thinks Coda lynch was NAI. C2, votes Zillah then Kidpen. Has been active enough to earn all chits. Mild elim read.

:ph34r: This is all true. Unfortunately I am not an elim.

26 minutes ago, Sart said:

I'm not going to help matters by voting on Xinoehp, but he's my biggest suspicion at the moment. I could definitely see a team between him and Elkanah. He broke the tie to save them, and I haven't been getting good gut vibes from either of them. Add that he is voting on Araris, who I currently lean village on, and I have my suspect.

I guess we could be on a team, but I've sent way too many coded messages in the thread to Xino to explain that... unless that's what I want you to think?

29 minutes ago, Sart said:

I was assuming no one had roles, because on Day 1 two people without roles were lynched. However, that is clearly not the case, as I was roleblocked and we had our Gunner die.

@Elandera, are we informed that we are roleblocked even if we don't take an action?

----

Sorry, more later when I have time again

Yeah, zest me. Brain has not been braining right.

On 2/22/2020 at 7:02 PM, Sart said:

Another cycle of sporadic voting. I'm not going to help matters by voting on Xinoehp, but he's my biggest suspicion at the moment. I could definitely see a team between him and Elkanah. He broke the tie to save them, and I haven't been getting good gut vibes from either of them. Add that he is voting on Araris, who I currently lean village on, and I have my suspect.

I agree with this post. The problem here is that I've been suspicious of Sart the whole game. But that comes mostly down to gut feelings rather than cold hard logic. I'm less suspicious of Elkanah now, but of Xino, Sart, and Elkanah, Xino is the one there have been the most convincing arguments for the execution of. I'm sorry it has to be this way. but the Defiants have no room for traitors.

Edited by Abstrusity
Fixed the red

33 minutes ago, Abstrusity said:

Yeah, zest me. Brain has not been braining right.

I agree with this post. The problem here is that I've been suspicious of Sart the whole game. But that comes mostly down to gut feelings rather than cold hard logic. I'm less suspicious of Elkanah now, but of Xino, Sart, and Elkanah, Xino is the one there have been the most convincing arguments for the execution of. I'm sorry it has to be this way. but the Defiants have no room for traitors.

Okay, I think I'm more suspicous of Araris than I am Xino. Striker Araris This way we can get more information out of the lynch... although I may switch over for the chits and giggles

1 hour ago, Araris Valerian said:

@Elkanah Have you said what you're suspicious of me for?

I don't know that I have. I still have you as a more or less neutral read (but that's almost everyone besides Kynedath and Zillah). However, I don't trust you either and I wanted to supply an alternate both as a way to see who else would jump on and try to save Xino and so the Xino lynch doesn't get away from us like the last two have. 

1 hour ago, Elandera said:

You are only informed if an action fails.

Thank you :)

Edit:

@Araris Valerian, I have figured out my evidence! While it is true that eliminators are more likely to stay active as they feel like they have more invested in controlling discussion, I think killing our most likely candidate for buying a gun is a poor choice. If we lynch Xinoehp and the elims kill whoever else buys the gun the elims are left unchecked to buy the guns. I have a feeling I'm going to die, so I am going to send my chits to a random player. At the very least that way I only have a three in nine chance of sending them to an elim, whereas if I die, I will have a one hundred percent chance of giving my chits to them. Although I guess I could also just buy another radio so my chits don't go to waste... Either way, If we kill the people most likely to buy a gun as a villager, the villagers can't buy any guns and the elims get them as fast as they can pass chits.

Edited by Elkanah
because it's been an hour and I have evidence

@Elkanah to respond to your question, I think I’ll put my vote on Kynedath (I didn’t want to quote you because your post was hecking long.) 

I don’t have too much on them unfortunately, but that’s part of the issue. They are far less active this game than the last game I played with them. With that there are much less risks, last game they spoke out quite a bit which led to a few close calls with being lynched. This game they’re not doing any of that, effectively staying out of the spotlight and off the radar. 

Vote Count (as per usual) 

Kynedath: (1) Elkanah, Zillah

Sart: (1) Kynedath 

Araris Valerian: (2) Xinoehp, Elkanah

Striker: (0) Elkanah 

Abstrusity: (0) Araris Valerian 

Xinoehp: (3) Sart, Araris Valerian, Abstrusity, 

Oh dear. :blink:

It's one hour before rollover and Fifth still hasn't posted... *sigh* I thought I could trust you, but I guess I was wrong.

I am the Engineer for the Village- probably the only one, if I know anything about how these games are balanced. I scanned Araris C1 and Abstrusity C2. Both times, they attacked someone. (That means they're both elims.) I sent a message to Fifth revealing Araris as an elim C2, hoping fully that he would come on and help save us. He got on, all right... but no post. So I'm going to do this myself. 

There are ten people left. I'm going to assume that three of them are elims, which leaves seven villagers. My lynch plus two villager deaths from the elims puts us at four villagers. That's still more than the elims- that means that unless one of the elims started with a gun, we still have a chance to win this. Especially because you now know who they all are. ;)

@Kynedath @Zillah @Sart @Rathmaskal @StrikerEZ @Elkanah If any of you can swing the vote towards Araris, or roleblock one of the elims, we can make it even more likely that we win. And whatever you do, don't let them get another gun!

And Fifth... I'll give you one last chance. Stop this lynch on me. If you really just wanted to surprise the eliminators with a last minute vote, do it. Otherwise there is only one conclusion I can make.

A combination of work, tiredness, and D&D prevented me from posting until this unholy hour of the night, but I feel obligated to get a post in. 

First, someone sent me an anonymous message which I really wish they’d just explicitly say in thread if it’s true, but its uncorroborated nature makes me wary. If the person in question, who presumably knows about this, could Radio me, that would be great so we can get confirmation behind your claim.

On 21/02/2020 at 2:29 AM, Elandera said:
  • Kynedath
  • Zillah
  • Elkanah
  • Kidpen First Citizen
  • Rathmaskal
  • StrikerEZ
  • Araris Valerian
  • The_God_King Bountiful Gunner
  • Xinoehp512
  • Coda DDF
  • Fifth Scholar
  • Abstrusity
  • shanerockes DDF
  • Sart

Easiest thing for me to do with so little time left is just give my rundown on everyone, and respond to others’ posts if I have time. 

Nevermind Xino just posted

@xinoehp512, Araris Valerian. Thank you for revealing yourself—next time, please state this in-thread earlier for a quicker resolution. We probably should have lynched him yesterday, or last cycle, and my inability to get on the Shard for any significant period of time reduced the effectiveness of your contact. 

Sorry I wasn't caught up on the thread so I have reverse ninjas. 

Here is my edit from above

1 hour ago, Elkanah said:

Edit:

@Araris Valerian, I have figured out my evidence! While it is true that eliminators are more likely to stay active as they feel like they have more invested in controlling discussion, I think killing our most likely candidate for buying a gun is a poor choice. If we lynch Xinoehp and the elims kill whoever else buys the gun the elims are left unchecked to buy the guns. I have a feeling I'm going to die, so I am going to send my chits to a random player. At the very least that way I only have a three in nine chance of sending them to an elim, whereas if I die, I will have a one hundred percent chance of giving my chits to them. Although I guess I could also just buy another radio so my chits don't go to waste... Either way, If we kill the people most likely to buy a gun as a villager, the villagers can't buy any guns and the elims get them as fast as they can pass chits.

As for Xino having caught two eliminators, that’s absolutely wonderful if true, and potentially concerning if false; an elim!Xino waiting until the last second to reveal these claims and force a mislynch, then hammer next cycle could be very effective. That said, I’ve maintained a consistent trust of him, and a distrust of Araris and Abstrusity, so I’m going to believe him in this contest of credibility. If that costs us the game, I’ll take responsibility, but really you all should be blamed for putting the fate of the village in the hands of a distracted semiactive to begin with, whether we come out of this on top or not :P 

I’ll try to post my thoughts on everyone else, but they’ll obviously be coloured by all of this recent discussion. 

@Araris Valerian @AbstrusityCan you offer any defence to Xino’s claims? It does seem as though you are planning to kill one of the only remaining roled villagers, and your interactions smell of distancing. 

Wow, okay. Not much time to post, but considering the information put forward by Xino, I am going to change my vote from Sart to Araris. It's a bold accusation and although it could be a ploy to save their skin, I'm inclined to believe Xino. If they lied then we have a clear lynch candidate next cycle.

11 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Oh dear. :blink:

It's one hour before rollover and Fifth still hasn't posted... *sigh* I thought I could trust you, but I guess I was wrong.

I am the Engineer for the Village- probably the only one, if I know anything about how these games are balanced. I scanned Araris C1 and Abstrusity C2. Both times, they attacked someone. (That means they're both elims.) I sent a message to Fifth revealing Araris as an elim C2, hoping fully that he would come on and help save us. He got on, all right... but no post. So I'm going to do this myself. 

There are ten people left. I'm going to assume that three of them are elims, which leaves seven villagers. My lynch plus two villager deaths from the elims puts us at four villagers. That's still more than the elims- that means that unless one of the elims started with a gun, we still have a chance to win this. Especially because you now know who they all are. ;)

@Kynedath @Zillah @Sart @Rathmaskal @StrikerEZ @Elkanah If any of you can swing the vote towards Araris, or roleblock one of the elims, we can make it even more likely that we win. And whatever you do, don't let them get another gun!

And Fifth... I'll give you one last chance. Stop this lynch on me. If you really just wanted to surprise the eliminators with a last minute vote, do it. Otherwise there is only one conclusion I can make.

What?

7 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

A combination of work, tiredness, and D&D prevented me from posting until this unholy hour of the night, but I feel obligated to get a post in. 

First, someone sent me an anonymous message which I really wish they’d just explicitly say in thread if it’s true, but its uncorroborated nature makes me wary. If the person in question, who presumably knows about this, could Radio me, that would be great so we can get confirmation behind your claim.

Easiest thing for me to do with so little time left is just give my rundown on everyone, and respond to others’ posts if I have time. 

@xinoehp512, Araris Valerian. Thank you for revealing yourself—next time, please state this in-thread earlier for a quicker resolution. We probably should have lynched him yesterday, or last cycle, and my inability to get on the Shard for any significant period of time reduced the effectiveness of your contact. 

What?

Okay, unless the Elims have the votes to win the game, this makes no sense. Xinoehp512 to Araris Valerian

1 minute ago, Kynedath said:

Wow, okay. Not much time to post, but considering the information put forward by Xino, I am going to change my vote from Sart to Araris. It's a bold accusation and although it could be a ploy to save their skin, I'm inclined to believe Xino. If they lied then we have a clear lynch candidate next cycle.

1 minute ago, Sart said:

What?

What?

Okay, unless the Elims have the votes to win the game, this makes no sense. Xinoehp512 to Araris Valerian

Very tl;dr version

Xino PMed me anonymously with an accusation against Araris, expecting me to post in to the thread 

I was busy and couldn’t post about it, and further distrusted it slightly because it was anonymous, so he posted about it instead just as I was getting on to make my post 

I posted confirming that he had made this allegation to me before in PM

I think this is a last minute ploy by Fifth and Xino. Given the activity levels, a couple of vote manipulation roles, and a pistol or two, it’s quite possible that you have enough power to win the game on a mislynch here. I have taken no actions this entire game, and will have enough cash to get the village a pistol for next turn. I can’t really do anything about it though.

3 minutes ago, Sart said:

What?

What?

Hold up, Xino is trying to hammer. Araris Valerian to Xinoehp512

If Xino is telling the truth, why would he vote with Araris Day 2, after scanning him as a Traitor? That's a blatant contradiction.

17 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Sorry, Fifth. :unsure:

3 minutes ago, Sart said:

If Xino is telling the truth, why would he vote with Araris Day 2, after scanning him as a Traitor? That's a blatant contradiction.

Because Elkanah has to be a villager. There's no way the elims would try and get at him like they have if he wasn't.

1 minute ago, Sart said:

I mean, I’ve done similar as a villager to try to avoid tipping my hand. The weird thing was the timing—sacrificing one’s anonymity to kill an elim is a very worthwhile trade—but it is understandable if he was afraid he’d be killed before the info got out. For this to be a true hammer, though, you’d have to expect me to be in on it, which is not an impossible leap of logic but is also harder to assume than just Araris and Abstrusity being evil, which, incidentally, is the explanation I’m going with because it doesn’t condemn me :P