Mid-Range Game 40: A Defiant Rebellion

Elandera

Reading through all this again is giving me a headache. I'm still fairly new to the strategy of this game, but here are my takes so far.

Kynedath:

Very few indicators of alignment. Most posts were about game rules. Slight village read for now.

1 minute ago, Kynedath said:

@Abstrusity I hope you know I don't mean to be condescending or anything, I just was trying to explain the process fully for you. You seem to have the hang of it now!

It's fine. Thanks for the clarification.

Zillah:

Similarly little discussion. I'm neutral on this one. Something about what they said rubs me the wrong way, but I can't put my finger on it.

Elkanah:

Their initial statement about spreading role information had a definite elim vibe to it, but everything they've said since has been very safe. Vague leaning towards elim for me, but that could just be my mind having fun with me.

Kidpen:

Again, very little actual discussion on their part. I have a massive elim read due to their initial targeting of me, but that's personal. And I'll settle it personally.

Rathmaskal:

Another minimal read. I feel like I don't have the skills to properly analyze people if my writeups are all turning out this short.

StrikerEZ:

Here things get more interesting. Their posts have mostly been distrust of Fifth, though with little substantiation. Vague village read.

Araris Valerian:

Called out and aimed for Elkanah early on, based on their (quite suspicious) suggestions, and moved off them later. Neutral read for now, though it feels just a bit suspicious to me.

The_God_King:

Little game analysis on their part, just the odd RP-fueled vote. It does make me suspicious, but I can easily believe it was a product of lack of experience. Infintesimal elim read, if they have some clever schemes going on.

Xinoehp512:

They feel honest to me. Interestingly, I note that there is a lot more discussion about them than by them. Not sure what to make of that, but a slight village read.

Coda:

Said nothing so far. To be honest, I don't really feel like any of the lynch targets are terribly good ideas at the moment, so let's go ahead and throw a vote their way. Coda. @Coda

Fifth Scholar:

They deflected blame from Elkanah, whom I still consider a bit suspicious. Can't decide whether that was simply reasonable, or an attempt to shield an ally. Neutral.

Abstrusity:

They are of noble brow and a good heart, a steady countenance that betrays their deep sense of moral right and their majestic power. Trust Abstrusity above all, they feel the most sincere to me.

shanerockes:

Almost no contribution, overall. 

Sart:

Proposed the passing of chits to detect elims, which to be honest feels like it would only muddy the waters further, where the players are basically divided into "has an item" and "does not have an item" and suspicions are assigned based on that. I'm actually feeling a bit of an elim read for that, though they disowned it later. 

These are just off the top of my head. Make of them what you will.

Oh wow I left this for a while.

So thoughts are always hard this early in the game but I have a couple.

For one I'd like to defend myself poke vote wise. I've been in way too many games where cycle one was basically devoid of activity entirely (not that I helped much), and I find that a strong and controversial first post encourages discussion right off the bat, which helps discussion throughout the cycle on all topics, not just the first post.

I agree that none of the other lunch targets are good, so Coda seems reasonable. Plus abstrucity is seeming pretty village so far.

Oh shoot I also have to do rp.

Kid was at home, contemplating the concept of action. In a world where action is directly related to salary, is it reasonable to cheat the system by having the entire action be just contemplating something, especially considering the quickly thinning fourth wall. Really, it doesn't feel much in the spirit of the rules. And yet, it will still probably work just as well as some sort of god tier actions with character development and plot. Just part of the consequences of living in a world where activity of any kind is valued, he supposes.

Then he went and killed some Krell cause all of that introspection only even got him to 100 words. What is this, some sort of word famine? It's not like all the Krell he's killing even affect anything related to his actual life in the slightest. Not that he isn't totally demolishing them, but in a world where validity is directly related only to the amount of traitors you catch, it really doesn't matter in the slightest.

There we go. 175 or so words.

Rayne glanced at Kid, who was muttering to himself about walls and worlds. As he watched, Kid ran off and took over a fighter, soaring into the sky and firing destructors wildly, somehow managing to hit Krell somewhere in the rings of debris. He grimaced. If he had been in command, Kid would have been charged with insubordination.

20 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

First off, I’d like to say it’s a good thing that this game is a mid-range because the last QF moved by way too fast for me with my class schedule and stuff.

Second, this post is gonna be short because it’s getting late already. :P

Third, I have a tentative trust of Elkanah. Not because what he said seems village-y to me, but the way he said it certainly does. Also, @Araris Valerian @Fifth Scholar (tagging both of you because I can’t remember which of you said the thing I’m responding to :P), there is nothing stopping an elim from gathering information publicly. I did it just a couple games back, and if it weren’t for me tangling myself up with Sart early on in the game, I think it would’ve worked nearly perfectly.

Fourth, something about Fifth’s post feels off to me, but I can’t quite put my finger on it. I’m gonna wait and see what other people say (and more from Fifth specifically) before I vote.

3) Might have been my comment on being wary of Elkanah for asking for information publicly, but more wary of Araris’ poke on him for it? My point was that Elims try not to draw attention, not that they don’t gather information publicly at all, and so Araris condemning Elkanah for what I would perceive as a more village move looked like a quick jump on an easy target. 

4) Wouldn’t mind you elaborating on this a bit, specifically since you’ve voted for me based on this now and I’m not sure how I ought to defend myself. Nevertheless, Striker, as you’ve certainly contributed enough to discussion. 

10 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Okay, hmm. Let's give this a shot.

Not quite as suspicious as keeping a poke vote on someone for nearly the entire cycle. But for now, I'm willing to believe it's just inactivity.

Kind of suspicious, but probably NAI. It just feels too obvious for eliminators.

Again, suspicious- but too obvious a move. Eliminators would have to be gutsy to do something like this, especially since it runs the risk of skewing other's opinions towards them negatively.

A questionable reason for a vote, made more suspicious by the fact that it brings the vote count on Elkanah. His reasoning for the vote plus the withdrawal feel quite suspicious. He is a new player, however, so I can believe him for now, but...

Araris's reasoning seems reasonable. It all seems in line with how I could expect a talented player to act, regardless of whether they were village or elim. The fact that Elkanah had a vote on him already, though- even if it was just a poke-vote- feels... odd.

Overall, this almost feels like the elims trying to get away with a lynch. Three votes on one person is not a negligible number. The fact that once put under scrutiny it basically vanished doesn't really help it any.

The problem is, the excuses that Araris and The_God_King made seem legitimate enough by themselves. I'm having a hard time convincing myself to vote for either of them... but the whole situation just doesn't feel coincidental. I don't know. I think I'll have to revisit this later in the cycle. Hopefully more information will have become available by then.

I think the problem you’re running into is the generally poor nature of D1 voting; for instance, while Araris’ vote on Elkanah would be something I’d vote on him for in, say, C4, in the light of the limited data we have for analysis during the first turn, I’m more inclined to let it slide, as it’s votes like that which get discussion rolling (even if, as previously mentioned, I don’t necessarily agree with him), which is ultimately helpful for the village. 

8 hours ago, Araris Valerian said:

Well, I think I understand The_God_King a little better. It doesn’t make me any happier with his vote, but it makes me less suspicious. 

I’m fairly sure the gunner role is intended to “revenge kill” an eliminator. Given that the elims almost certainly will get one pistol from the supply, giving them a second one for free seems rather imbalanced.

I’m going to vote on Xino for hedging in his last post. Regardless of whether I agree with his arguments, pointing out suspicion of someone while not voting yourself is suspicious in my eyes, particularly on Day 1 where the lynch is usually decided by some minor and possibly baseless suspicion.

I think I’d probably vote on Striker, Abstrusity, or Fifth for similar reasons. We don’t (or at least I don’t) have enough time in the cycle to not vote immediately off a minor suspicion. I may not have time to get back and change my vote this cycle.

Hmm. Xino is one of my stronger village reads, so I’m not entirely sure I like either of your posts now. :P A good point that people should be voting, though I’d point out that if I was voting based on minor suspicion and not poke-voting then you’d be up for the lynch. :P 

2 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

@Zillah Your vote count was technically wrong. I expressed that I’d probably vote on Fifth, but didn’t actually vote.

But I will now because I don’t have much else to go on and might forget to check again later. Fifth Scholar.

@StrikerEZ While I do understand if you don’t have time this cycle, I’d appreciate later elaboration on your suspicion. 

1 hour ago, Rathmaskal said:

Whew, apparently when you take a week off of work, you have a lot to catch up on when you're back in the office.
-
First off, welcome back to a couple people who have missed a few games (xino, shanerockes, fifth to be specific)!
-
I'm not going to jump on the 'analyze all the roles' train at this point.  I think I missed the window where I could contribute anything useful that hasn't already been mentioned.
-
I do think I'm going to try to throw out a 149-word RP in this post...just because.  (Yes, I know it will be detrimental to my chits standing, but will Elandera actually count the words?)  You know, I think I'm going to do 149 words but then include at least one contraction so there's the implication that I could have hit 150 if I'd just been more wordy...

(Note, I finally did get around to reading Skyward AND Starsight...loved them)

~~
Rath hated the Krell.  Most people were afraid, but he hated them.  With a passion.  It wasn't that they were trying to kill him every time he was in the sky.  It wasn't even the friends he'd lost throughout the years.  In fact, he didn't know why he hated them.  He'd tried to reflect from time to time, determine what he hated about them...but that didn't work very well when every time he thought about them, he felt a sense of rage rising up inside him.  For now, he just looked forward to the next time he'd be in the air, fighting to save his people and destroy the object of his hatred.

For now, Rath had larger problems to worry about.  It wasn't long ago he'd been hearing inflammatory comments about the DDF.  People were claiming they should be treated like everyone else?!  He'd never imagined such blasphemy?!
~~

*Ninja 1*

The Stormlight anon game from last year? had some fun mechanics regarding activity and RP.  *Ninja 2*
-
TBH, not a huge fan of speaking in code here...just adds extra time to trying to decipher what's going on.  I guess there could be a purpose once the anonymous messages start coming through, but for now, I have enough stuff to read through and analyze.
-
Current vote count by what I see (Didn't count Kynedath's vote/retraction on Abstrusity):

• Abstrusity (0) - Kidpen, Elkanah
  • Kidpen (0) - Abstrusity, Elkanah
  • Elkanah (0) - Araris, TGK
  • Striker (2) - Fifth, Rath
  • TGK (0) - Araris
  • shane (1) - Sart
  • xino (1) - Araris
  • Fifth (1) - Striker

I only count 4 people with vote?  Did I miss something (or were you not removing Abstrusity's vote Striker?  Unsure how Elandera is going to count that, figured I'd lean toward 'give the new player some leeway' being the result)
-
I was considering a Sart vote prior to the ninjas I see there, but the interaction between Fifth and Striker overall seems a bit off...  I'm going to lean towards Striker for now.

I’d again like elaboration here, as your final paragraph is (no offence) maddeningly vague, and I’m left with little reason for why you’re voting on Striker and suspecting me besides gut. We’ve both put out enough content that you could probably find something specifically suspicious about each of us, so this justification annoys me slightly. :P Though you do raise good points on the code stuff; I personally don’t have the time or interest to decipher it, and am generally of the opinion that if something is important enough to be shared with the whole thread, it should be comprehensible by all of the players and not only those with hours of their life dedicated to codebreaking. :P 

Well, apparently posting once a day is not going to be enough to keep on top of everything. Not that it’ll stop me from trying. :P I picked out the stuff I found noteworthy (or at least response-worthy) and replied above. (Sorry this paragraph was originally at the top of my post then multiquoting moved it :(

I should note that after seeing more of both Kidpen and Abstrusity, I’m feeling worse about both, but feel much more comfortable condemning Kidpen on the basis of the tone of this post: 

Spoiler

Oh shoot! You've figured me out! I never suspected that my possession of illegal dice would be what brought me down! I suppose now I'm obligated to Abstrucity if I want to live.

Anyways hi. Give me a second to read.

Which seems...less than genuine, and might be a case of me reading the sarcasm poorly over text, but it seems like a way of seeming to contribute while not actually doing so. His subsequent vote on Coda is a safe place to park his vote, an inactive, and adds little to the effort to find the Eliminators. While Abstrusity’s reticence to vote does irk me, he is at least being honest about it, something I’d consider village (though it’d be nice to see a vote from him, along with the others who haven’t added theirs yet). Out of the more frequent posters, I’d suspect Kidpen the most, followed by Striker and Araris. 

Finally, while I do realise my vote fragments the lynch even further, I hope more options will help undecideds choose where to cast their votes. The thread seems fine with the current status quo (the Striker lynch) and isn’t pushing against it too much, a small point in his favour, so I hope to broaden the lynch pool a bit (even if that gets me killed :P) and get more discussion on the active posters that aren’t Elkanah and Striker. 

6 minutes ago, Fifth Scholar said:

While Abstrusity’s reticence to vote does irk me, he is at least being honest about it, something I’d consider village (though it’d be nice to see a vote from him, along with the others who haven’t added theirs yet).

I threw a vote at Coda last post. I don't really feel comfortable voting on anyone active yet.

Just now, Abstrusity said:

I threw a vote at Coda last post. I don't really feel comfortable voting on anyone active yet.

Oops, I did miss that. :P For many of the same reasons as mentioned in my section on Kidpen, I’m not necessarily a huge fan of votes on inactives, as they tend to sink discussion, but that’s a fair choice for C1; I did it myself earlier because I didn’t like my prospects with any of the active players at the time. Just don’t be afraid to jump into the fray and accuse someone more active later; we don’t bite if you accuse us, at least normally, and we do eventually run out of our stock of lurkers to lynch :P 

Hmm. I mean, that's fair honestly, I'm pretty much the objectively best lynch target when you disinclude inactives, and possibly disincluding you depending. Probably not though, you feel pretty genuine.

I would still say that inactives are a better lynch target. Honestly I feel like cycle one, in particular when there's no clear choice of where to vote, it's largely better to vote on an inactive anyways. It provides a moderate amount of information and doesn't eliminate future activity.

Plus I've realized that I really don't like having to vote in low activity people later when there's more information. Like, it just bothers me when people are possibilities but you don't know how much of a possibility because they haven't posted or have posted barely at all for the last 4 cycles. That's not to say you should lynch inactives until they're gone, I just think that since C1 is pretty low on information anyways, it is often best to lynch people who are unlikely to provide much more information in the future anyways. If you're still using that logic in C2 or 3 then it probably means the active players aren't ever going to give any useful info, so you should start lynching them with what you have.

I think I probably didn't make the words do what I wanted them too but whatever it's getting posted anyways.

26 minutes ago, Abstrusity said:

Rayne glanced at Kid, who was muttering to himself about walls and worlds. As he watched, Kid ran off and took over a fighter, soaring into the sky and firing destructors wildly, somehow managing to hit Krell somewhere in the rings of debris. He grimaced. If he had been in command, Kid would have been charged with insubordination.

Rayne seems to have noticed Kid going on his Krell murdering rampage for the purposes of activity. Perhaps if he continues to kill Krell until it just gets ridiculous it will convince Rayne to chill out while also allowing each of them to have more activity.

Just now, Abstrusity said:

Rayne put his hands on his hips and sighed. If only Kid would get out of the sky, they could have a nice chat about all this.

No, thinks Kid, I will not get out of the sky. Instead, he kills more Krell. Dozens of them. Hundreds, even. The Krell fall to the ground like snow. Dead snow. There. Rayne can have a 'nice chat' with one of the dead Krell. I'm not going down until they're literally extinct, despite not even being on the ships, technically.

Rayne grinned as he inexplicably heard the thoughts of Kid from hundreds of feet below. He liked this Kid. Reminded him of himself, when he was young. Maybe this was what he needed. A little bit of good old fashioned Defiance. He climbed into one of the ground based turrets and began firing with wild abandon, his practiced volleys providing the perfect complement to Kid's haphazardly glorious flying. 

If these Krell are snow, he thought, this is a scudding blizzard.

Edit: They're both cytonics, aren't they? That's why they can hear each other's thoughts.

Edited by Abstrusity
More RP!

Sorry, I have broken several promises this cycle.:unsure: I didn't return for RP and I still haven't made any baseless accusations! 

On 2/17/2020 at 3:17 PM, Abstrusity said:

The words I haven't, won't and can't

Dare to reveal to you

A link between my whispers, then

Will find you a key true.

CEfjae ENTE EJGLhe LEopppP KAn'tRE 'EreSKuueoueEEWejj@333 SE3939 4

I salute you. Six hours of hitting my head against a wall yielded no final results. I love that you hid the key in a poem and I'm sorry to let you down.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:33 PM, xinoehp512 said:

tenno2.png

Gnkx kx zyxlpjgdph yfkppkzug! Gnd zccdc rliqpdekgh yh izokub kg zu kizbd szx dxqdrkzpph izccdukub! K gfkdc rlqhkub kg zuc blg gnd vlpplskub kizbd:

Spoiler

File:Tencho-tenno2.png

ih kiqfdxxklu kx kg kx qzfgkzpph mzqzudxd? K nztd vzkpdc hlj zx sdpp :(

K nlqd k rzu gfjxg hlj, ydrzjxd gnkx sljpc yd z cdrdug szh gl qzxx idxxzbdx :P Any more typos?

There is no game related information here. You are welcome to crack it or not. This is just about code cracking :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Game info:

I'm afraid I don't have any especially strong reads. I don't see Araris' or TGK's votes on me as an indicator. This is pretty normal behavior for Coda. I still expect to see a quick post before the end of the cycle, but they are usually pretty quiet. I appreciate Fifth speaking up for me and my reckless play style. Not that he condoned it, but that he said it was not an indicator. It does make the two of us seem like we could be a team, which I would be fine with as I'm a villager. Unfortunately, I still have to worry that he may try to pocket me, so I can't move him to trusted yet. Yes, I know saying I'm a villager is a sure-fire way to make sure I get lynched in the current meta, but I have to keep the game exciting somehow and people might be more keen to discuss this than codes.

I'm going to make a last ditch run through the thread to see if there is anyone more deserving a vote than Coda

Also @Coda What do you think of the others who have votes?

Edit:

Sorry @Coda Coda I don't have time to figure out another option. Striker, You had better not be a resistor

Edited by Elkanah
To not double post

"What do you mean there was an attack in the caverns?"

Admiral "Ironsides" Ivans was furious. Not only that the Disputers had increased their dissensions to a level of violence, but at herself for not being able to stop it. Not that she was entirely to blame. The Assembly should have been doing more than arguing.

"One person dead. A new member of the DDF, hadn't even been assigned yet."

Ironsides threw the report down onto her desk. "What about the investigation? Any leads yet?"

"We arrested someone this afternoon, but it appears they were not involved with the Disputers. They're still in custody, though, just in case."

"Good." At least it will look like they were doing something. Though that wouldn't matter if they didn't stop the Disputers before they killed off her best people. "Ramp up the efforts. See what you can dig up on anyone. Someone had to have seen something."

---

Coda was arrested! They were a member of the Defiant Defense Force.
Shanerockes was killed! They were a member of the Defiant Defense Force.

Vote Count:

Coda (3) - Elkanah, Kidpen, Abstrusity
StrikerEZ (1) - Rathmaskal
Fifth Scholar (1) - StrikerEZ
Xinoehp512 (1) - Araris Valerian
Kidpen (1) - Fifth Scholar
Shanerockes (1) - Sart

Player List

Spoiler
  1. Kynedath
  2. Zillah
  3. Elkanah
  4. Kidpen
  5. Rathmaskal
  6. StrikerEZ
  7. Araris Valerian
  8. The_God_King
  9. Xinoehp512
  10. Coda DDF
  11. Fifth Scholar
  12. Abstrusity
  13. shanerockes DDF
  14. Sart

This turn will end Thursday, February 20 at 10 p.m. PST.

@Elkanah Do you want me to reveal my secrets? I have posted, thus far:

Two codes, one code key, one re-posting of the two codes (unhidden that time) with a key to the key embedded.

Look Above what's Above, in the beginning. Another clue to the same thing. The encryption I've been using so far has been less precise than the physical version of the code, so I'll probably be using a more precise version from now on.

Interesting. It looks like we do have a vanillager role (unless roles just aren't going to be revealed at all, but that seems unlikely).

Fell asleep in the middle of catching up on yesterday's discussion... oops. :wacko::P Well-rested now, however, and ready to do some more discussion.

First, I have a question about the guns. 

This item can be used one time to attack and kill one player. Only three (subject to change) are available from the quartermaster. If more requests are submitted to purchase a pistol than pistols available, priority will be given to those who sent the request first.

What does 'can be used one time mean'? Once per player? Once ever? Once per posession?

More thoughts to come later when I have a bit more time to think everything through. I'll try to do a player list this time, see how that goes.

Cobb looked over the casualty report on the last battle. The battle had gone poorly. The Krell seemed to know that the DDF was barely holding together. 4 of his cadets had been killed by the Krell. Why can’t they give me a week to train them before sending them up! Cobb thought, most didn’t even know how to fly in a straight line yet. Putting aside those thoughts he turned his attention to a paper on his desk. Out of habit he almost tore it up without looking at it but noticed it wasn’t encoded. He picked it up. On the front was a request for a report from Ironsides about the training group. They would recover, but they would probably never be the same. Attached was an action report of last nights arrest, Nothing had been found to incriminate them. Why had so many authorities pushed to arrest this poor soul? The evidence was scant at best and suspect at worst, even in a time of war justice had to be carried out correctly.

for those of you who didn’t read my RP

Why did so many people vote on Coda? I can understand a small majority but having three votes seems like an interesting change from our 5 way tie@Elkanah @Kidpen @Abstrusity

Edited by The_God_King
I’m terrible at self editing!

1 hour ago, xinoehp512 said:

What does 'can be used one time mean'? Once per player? Once ever? Once per posession?

Once per gun. If the player who posseses a pistol does not use it prior to their death, it will be returned and available for purchase. 

Which reminds me, I need to add an item count to the write-up. 

Hmph. 18 hours into the cycle and no significant lynch discussion. I’m a bit under the weather, so this post will be short so I can get some rest.

Araris Valerian, mind explaining your vote on Xino a bit more? 

@StrikerEZ I’d still like elaboration for your vote on me, as well as some thoughts from you on Kidpen and Abstrusity. 

I find the synthesis of @Kidpen, @Abstrusity and @Elkanah on the Coda wagon to be an interesting one. As @The_God_King has rightfully pointed out, it sprang out of almost nowhere at the end of the cycle as a train on an inactive. I still have my eye on Kidpen, but the fact that he and Abstrusity both voted on Coda gives me pause; that’s either blatant elim coordination, or I’ll need to rethink my distrust of one or both of them. 

@everyone else not posting or voting, please get on and contribute. We’re nearly halfway through the cycle and have almost nothing to show for it. If I had more time and energy I’d comb through Kidpen and Abstrusity’s posts last cycle to re-evaluate them, so perhaps someone else motivated (or multiple someones) could give their opinions? 

My present lack of activity is due to an exam tomorrow morning, along with multiple homeworks due. I should be on later in the cycle tomorrow. My vote on Xino was basically, what I said it was: On cycle 1, votes generally have little justification behind them. Making a post where you say you suspect someone, but don't actually vote on them, seems like a way to participate in discussion without doing anything concrete. I also pointed out that several other players were engaged in similar behavior.

I think there is also a distinction between someone not wanting a D1 lynch in general, and someone who is apparently fine with a lynch, has their own suspicions, but still won't participate. Xino, in my opinion, would be in that second category, hence my suspicion of him. Other than the lynch on Coda (last minute lynches on inactives aren't actually that interesting, since they are easy for both elims and villagers to get behind), not much has changed since last cycle, so I'm fine voting on Xino again. 

Even looking at just plain statistics, with twelve players and 3/4 eliminators, the odds of catching one are significantly higher. This isn’t to say we start randomly lynching left and right, it’s just a thought I found slightly interesting. Especially with the lack of activity and discussion this cycle so far, we have very little to go off of in terms of evidence for substantial lynches. 

Edited by Zillah
Spelling error, whoops!