Mid-Range Game 40: A Defiant Rebellion

Elandera

Welcome to Mid-Range game 40! It takes place about five years before the events of Skyward. A group of Disputers have decided it is time to change the Defiant culture with a little defiance of their own.

Rules doc, for better formatting

Alignments:

Defiant Defense Force - Your job is normally to aid in the effort of battling Krell, but a new threat has risen in the cavern depths that demands your attention. A small number of Disputers - an eccentric counter-culture movement - aim to cripple the DDF. You must stop them before it threatens the survival of the entire Defiant League.

• The DDF wins when all the Disputers have been arrested or killed.

Disputers - Defiant culture has gone too far. The jingoistic teachings are indoctrinating the citizens, and often leading them straight to their deaths. You are members of the DDF who are tired of seeing your friends killed because they feel it is their obligation. While you understand and sympathize with the fight against the Krell, you believe there is a better way. You believe now is the time to start the change and stop the hero-worship of the DDF and First Citizens.

• The Disputers win when they reach parity with, or out number the DDF members.
  • The Disputers have access to a kill every cycle. Any member can use their role action to submit the kill.

General Rules:

• 48-hour cycles, day/night combined
  • No vote minimum to make an arrest
  • PMs are closed, unless player possesses a radio
  • To create a PM, message the GM with the target. If it is a valid target, the GM will open the communication line at the end of the turn. (See Radio item for further)
  • One role action and one item action per cycle

Roles:

Spoiler

First Citizen - You fought bravely in the Battle of Alta, and survived when so many did not. You are heavily merited and hold a distinguished spot among the elite of the Defiant League. That influence allows you to have a stronger voice in important matters.

• Your vote can count as two. This is not a passive ability. If you die, your ability will pass to a random Heir. This does not apply if you are arrested. You start with a radio and a light-line.

Heir of a First Citizen - You grew up in the Deep Caverns, privileged and pampered. You are expected to become a cadet, though you know your time as a full pilot will be short. You have been training in politics and in your family’s business. Your status as a child of a First Citizen means you often receive special treatment.

• One vote will be removed from the total count against you at the end of the cycle. If a First Citizen dies, you have a chance at gaining their ability. You start with a radio. 

Pilot on Deep Reserve - Currently on R&R in the Deep Caverns, you are a well-known pilot for the DDF. Unfortunately, you’ve been requested to help fend off the internal battle. Luckily, your status as a Pilot of the DDF has given you a certain amount of influence, and you find many are willing to listen to your suggestions.

• You can cancel one person's vote. You start with a radio and a light-line.

Vici Warrior - Descendent of the marines of the Defiant, you grew up in the Vici cavern. Your people are well-known to be great warriors. You are among those great warriors, and cannot easily be taken down.

• You will survive one attack. This does not apply to being arrested.

Bountiful Gunner - You were raised in the Bountiful Caverns and became a skilled gunner - not just with AA guns, but also destructor pistols. The manners you were taught, though, means you will only use your knowledge in defense of the Defiant League or its citizens.

• You start with a destructor pistol. If you are in possession of a destructor pistol, you can protect one player per turn from attack. If you or that player are targeted, you will retaliate and shoot the player who attacked you, dying in the process.  If your retaliation action is used, the pistol will be destroyed. If you possess more than one pistol, only one will be destroyed.

Igneous Engineer - It’s incredible what you can learn about someone through the use of technology. Your skills working in the developmental engineering department of the Igneous Caverns have helped you learn how to stealthily hack the various programs and security systems.

• You can choose to track someone and learn which action they took. You do not learn whom they targeted. You can also send one anonymous PM per cycle as a bonus action.

Items:

When a player is arrested or killed, all items are taken back to the quartermaster to be available for purchase. Chits will be distributed randomly among those involved in the arrest or death.

Spoiler

Requisition Chits - Each player will begin with a random number of chits (no more than 25). Chits can be used to purchase additional items. Players may also earn chits through interaction with the game. 

• 5 chits for 150-word RP post (up to once per cycle)
  • 10 chits for making two post contributing to discussion (up to once per cycle)

Light-line - Cannot be purchased. This item, which creates a rope of light, can be used to prevent someone from taking an action that turn. Pilot light-lines will be returned to the quartermaster permanently upon death. First Citizen light-lines will be passed to the Heir who receives their ability.

Radio - 15 chits[/i]. Players with a radio can open PMs with other players, so long as they also possess a radio. Requests to open the line must go through the GM. Opening a radio connection requires an item action, but may used be freely once it has been established.

• A small number of radios will be distributed at the beginning of the game, aside from those assigned to roles.

Destructor Pistol - 40 chits[/i]. This item can be used one time to attack and kill one player. Only three (subject to change) are available from the quartermaster. If more requests are submitted to purchase a pistol than pistols available, priority will be given to those who sent the request first.

Hovercar - 100 chits. Hovercars allow for quick movement through the large caverns. Using a Hovercar is a free action, and will grant a bonus action to the user, which can be used by a role action or an item action. The same item cannot be used twice in one turn (e.g. A player with a hovercar, destructor pistol, and light-line may use all three that turn, but not the light-line twice). Disputers may not use their bonus action for an extra faction kill.

Sign-ups will close at 10 p.m. PST on Sunday, February 16.

@Devotary of Spontaneity is the IM this game!

Player List

Spoiler

Players:

1. Kynedath
  2. Zillah
  3. Elkanah
  4. Kidpen
  5. Rathmaskal
  6. StrikerEZ
  7. Araris Valerian
  8. The_God_King
  9. Xinoehp512
  10. Coda
  11. Fifth Scholar
  12. Abstrusity
  13. shanerockes
  14. Sart

Spectators

1. Arraenae
  2. Young Bard

Quick Links

Rule Clarifications and Updates

Spoiler

Bountiful Gunner: Only the gunner and attacker will die if either the gunner or the protected is targeted by an attack.

Edited by Elandera

I'll sign up. Character pending, may or may not do RP this game.

EDIT: If the bountiful gunner protects player A and Player B attacks the gunner, will Player A die? Or is it just the gunner and Player B who die?

When an heir to a first citizen gets the First citizen ability, do they retain their heir ability or is it replaced by the first citizen ability?

Edited by Kynedath

1 hour ago, Kynedath said:

I'll sign up. Character pending, may or may not do RP this game.

EDIT: If the bountiful gunner protects player A and Player B attacks the gunner, will Player A die? Or is it just the gunner and Player B who die?

Only the gunner and attacker die if either the gunner or the protected are targeted. 

8 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

I'm in! I'm a little relieved for the closed PM's, and I haven't played a skyward game yet, so I'm super excited!

Can I get clarification on the start of the game? Do we start on Sunday or the 15th?

Character to come later...

Sunday the 16th. :P I'm on vacation currently, so dates don't matter to me. 

Okay, character incoming! Simrin, female, age 20. She was/is a security guard that I'm going to play as snarkily and sassily as I can (which may not be too much).

I'm not a huge fan of the book Skyward, but the setting is definitely interesting and the premise of the game is fascinating so it's looking good! I'm looking forward to this game!