Voting area for Scelomancer magic system

Scelomancer System voteing area  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Gravity control with emeralds be able to do?

• Something similar to lashings with some differences
    • increase or decrease weight, like an iron mind
    • other, please elaborate.
  2. 2. should scelce be like a soul?

• Yes
    • No

20 minutes ago, Aragorn the Wyrmspeaker said:

vote in poll

That's a little formal isn't it? :-P 

Before I can vote, I need to know what you mean in the second section, about it being like a soul. Do you mean a soul as in the actual person with all the organs of mind and emotion, or something which animates the body but doesn't have its own mind? Is it something that can survive without a body or only in a body? What do you mean by a soul?

[Edit] It might be important to also add a link to the post you initially made about the system so others who find this poll later know what it is about.

Edited by Ixthos

3 minutes ago, Ixthos said:

That's a little formal isn't it? :-P 

Before I can vote, I need to know what you mean in the second section, about it being like a soul. Do you mean a soul as in the actual person with all the organs of mind and emotion, or something which animates the body but doesn't have its own mind? Is it something that can survive without a body or only in a body? What do you mean by a soul?

Ok, so if you have not seen my other post, visit it first, and I am thinking maybe along the lines of possible elementals or golems, but i must abide by the 3rd (I think) of Sandersons laws of magic, and expand on what I already have before adding to it.

Just now, Aragorn the Wyrmspeaker said:

Ok, so if you have not seen my other post, visit it first, and I am thinking maybe along the lines of possible elementals or golems, but i must abide by the 3rd (I think) of Sandersons laws of magic, and expand on what I already have before adding to it.

I have read it, but it doesn't really elaborate on what you mean by a soul. Real world cultures use the term for different things - my own beliefs involve the soul being the will, mind, and emotions of someone, the entirety of a person, while others say soul when they mean the thing that animates you and makes you alive but doesn't have anything of you inside it, etc. So then, when you mean acting like a soul, do you mean the power is able to "think", or can be made to think, or can hold instructions and execute orders? As in, does it already have a mind, or can be given a mind, or can act like a mind or support a mind without actually being a mind?

Do you mean soul as in mind, or soul as in power source of life, or both, basically?

Also, I edited my previous post to note it might be a good idea to add a link to your main post so that those who find this doesn't get lost and so they are aware of what this is about :-)

#1: Id say stick with gravity manipulation, the physics of it are a lot more straight-forward than the Higgs Field explanations that Ironminds eventually necessitated, and from a practical standpoint Lashing-style can do both.  

#2:  That will open up a whole can of worms, it turns the humanoid species that has successfully crossbred with humans into a full on Spirit-entity. Having such a thing would be ok though it opens up spirit world questions and levels of Sentience and a lot of complex world and storybuilding that you mat not want to bite off yet.  But the Scelce already have a place in the settling, if you want spirits make them something else.  To compare to Roshar you have you fabrial users (mages), your Radiant Surge Users (Scelsi), and you surge using Singers (Scec'ar).  Adding a Spren equivalent would be fine, but I wouldnt try to combine it with one of the others.