Cultivations influence RoW Update![Disscuss]

Frustration

22 minutes ago, Diomedes said:

I like your theory. Kaladin`s name means he, who is born to eternity. Kalad means eternity, in being born unto. 

That would support your theory. :)

Thank you for that I would have missed it but it is something I do in my writing(recreational of course nothing published, that's the dream)

Edit: to future readers here is the WoB

Spoiler

Questioner

Did Kaladin’s name come from anywhere in particular?

Brandon Sanderson

No. I'm sure the word paladin was in the back of my head, but it's not like he shares much with like an actual paladin. His name was Merin in the initial version and it was-- it didn't work, he wasn't a Merin and all the fans-- all the readers were like "this name just doesn't work" so I spent years hunting for the right name for him, and that's the one I ended up with. It's really based-- it's Kalak, which is the Storm-- not really the Stormfather but people y'know. Most of the names you'll find are based off one of the Heralds in some way. So he's KALA + DIN, Kalak and din is a suffix.

Isaac Stewart

We do have a meaning for it though. Can I tell them the meaning?

Brandon Sanderson

Ehhh, have we canonized it?

Isaac Stewart

We have canonized it, and we have told people before.

Brandon Sanderson

Then yeah.

Isaac Stewart

It means "Born unto Eternity".

Brandon Sanderson

...I mean, it means that in the same way that names mean something, like my name means-- But when they're naming him that they aren't thinking that. What they are doing is picking one of the Heralds and making a name out of it. But my name technically means "Dweller by the Beacon", but really what it means is "He was the son of Alexander".

Holiday signing (Dec. 12, 2015)

Edited by Booknerd

On 2/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, RShara said:

And @RShara right on time to ruin my theory and my day. Time to re-work that into this, doesn't destroy everything but that is a set back. (If frustration was a shard I would have ascended right there) no hard feelings but man I thought I had it.

Edit

Alright taking this WoB into account we run into some problems, but there are possible work arounds perhaps we had Cultivation take the power or spiritweb of the Shardaic child and tied it to Kaladin, or possibly this WoB could be unreliable, what was Brandon supposed to say if he said anything other than yes, that would immediately draw suspicion. Or I could be wrong altogether and the Kaladin thread of this theory would have to be cut.

Edited by Booknerd

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2020 at 5:37 PM, Booknerd said:

Alright taking this WoB into account we run into some problems, but there are possible work arounds perhaps we had Cultivation take the power or spiritweb of the Shardaic child and tied it to Kaladin, or possibly this WoB could be unreliable, what was Brandon supposed to say if he said anything other than yes, that would immediately draw suspicion. Or I could be wrong altogether and the Kaladin thread of this theory would have to be cut.

He could have RAFO'd it. He has RAFO'd seemingly obvious things like this before, and even if it did draw suspicion, it wouldn't be too bad, as most of the fandom would just assume he is trying to throw us off. Why would Cultivation do that? why not just use the original child, Cultivate them to be like Kaladin?

2 minutes ago, Nameless said:

He could have RAFO'd it. He has RAFO'd seemingly obvious things like this before, and even if it did draw suspicion, it wouldn't be too bad, as most of the fandom would just assume he is trying to throw us off. Why would Cultivation do that? why not just use the original child, Cultivate them to be like Kaladin?

Good point. Death of the original child would be my best answer to that but even then it's a strech.

• 5 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Kaladin was one of two Radiants to retain contiousness during the occupation of Urithiru

This is an incredibly minor thing, but I don't know why people keep overlooking the fact that Venli was also a radiant awake during the occupation. It bothers me way more than it should lol

4 minutes ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

This is an incredibly minor thing, but I don't know why people keep overlooking the fact that Venli was also a radiant awake during the occupation. It bothers me way more than it should lol

Point taken, but she was also a regal, a Listener, and at one point in close contact with Odium

On 2/8/2020 at 2:37 PM, Ookla The Frustrated said:

I guess the big trouble here would be that Honor died like 1000 years before Kaladin was born. I could buy into shards temporarily taking a human vessel to make offspring, but the dude was dead. 

Edit: Without being crass, I suppose Cultivation could have held on to that seed until it was time to plant it...

Edited by Suffot

The interesting thing with cultivation is what is she doing with the night watcher?

She's training her to be more human without her bonding.

What plan does cultivation have for the next bondsmith? This is the big part of her plan imo. 

She has been training the night watcher for a very very long time

5 hours ago, Shuffel said:

The interesting thing with cultivation is what is she doing with the night watcher?

She's training her to be more human without her bonding.

What plan does cultivation have for the next bondsmith? This is the big part of her plan imo. 

She has been training the night watcher for a very very long time

Agreed, I'll edit this post later when I gather necessary evidence.

Edit: Nightwatcher and spren

All corrupted spren have been Mistspren.

Shallan has been given two critics,

And Wyndle was given a Radiant against his choice.

Now what do all these spren have in common?

Their orders are all aligned with Cultivation.

More later

Edited by Ookla The Frustrated

19 hours ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Agreed, I'll edit this post later when I gather necessary evidence.

Edit: Nightwatcher and spren

Shallan has been given two critics,

And Wyndle was given a Radiant against his choice.

Now what do all these spren have in common?

Their orders are all aligned with Cultivation.

More later

I like this a lot! Can't wait to see your post

23 hours ago, Ookla The Frustrated said:

All who we have seen bond so far have been Mistspren, but there are the "touched" Honorspren in RoW, not to mention whatever spren Sja-Anat was going to send for Mraize. 

On 2/6/2020 at 9:35 PM, Ookla The Frustrated said:

Kaladin being the Son of Tanavast is mentioned in every book, and he's done things we haven't seen anyone else do, feeling the winds in WoR, The Stormfather considers stoping for him, despite him not being bonded to him. Additionally on page 579 of RoW Kal is allerted to The Pursuer wihtou knowing why.

Zeamay

Are Lirin and Hesina Kaladin's biological parents?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 10, 2015)