Frustration

rammbleings of a deranged mind
Cultivations influence RoW Update![Disscuss]

48 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

Sorry.  I did not see this page before and no one I see mentioned it.

 

On 2/8/2020 at 3:06 PM, RShara said:

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Karger said:

Oops.

All good, critic is welcome keeps me from going to far.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2020 at 5:06 PM, RShara said:

Zeamay

Are Lirin and Hesina Kaladin's biological parents?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 10, 2015)

 

On 12/5/2020 at 2:06 AM, Suffot said:

 

I guess the big trouble here would be that Honor died like 1000 years before Kaladin was born. I could buy into shards temporarily taking a human vessel to make offspring, but the dude was dead. 
 

Edit: Without being crass, I suppose Cultivation could have held on to that seed until it was time to plant it...

 

On 12/4/2020 at 11:11 PM, Darth_Hel said:

Kaladin could be the descendant of their child. Perhaps all descendants of Tanavast are drawn toward strict codes like Kaladin and Lirin.

The third quote would make sense of the first two. If Tanavast and Koravellium had mortal children before the former's death, then perhaps Kaladin is descended from those children.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ReaderAt2046 said:

 

 

The third quote would make sense of the first two. If Tanavast and Koravellium had mortal children before the former's death, then perhaps Kaladin is descended from those children.

only problem is that with two thoushand years just about everyone should be a child of Tanavast, but it's just Kaladin

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Mistborn, the LR uses Preservation's power in the Well without ascending. Is it possible that Kaladin once used Honor's power in the same way? I was thinking, and Kaladin is the only modern Radiant to bond one of the Stormfather's original Honorspren. Syl's status and/or age might have something to do with this. It does seem that Kaladin is gaining powers from Syl that other Windrunners are not. (e.g. prowess with weapons, parting the storm, etc.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2021 at 9:36 PM, Morningtide said:

In Mistborn, the LR uses Preservation's power in the Well without ascending. Is it possible that Kaladin once used Honor's power in the same way? I was thinking, and Kaladin is the only modern Radiant to bond one of the Stormfather's original Honorspren. Syl's status and/or age might have something to do with this. It does seem that Kaladin is gaining powers from Syl that other Windrunners are not. (e.g. prowess with weapons, parting the storm, etc.)

TLR ascended and became a Sliver of Preservation.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You've put a lot of effort into this and make a lot of great points.

My major concern about the Kaladin thread is more Doyalist, in that it cuts too close to the chosen one trope, and Brandon has put so much effort into subverting such overworn tropes in SA.  If you were spot on, I would think that there would also have to be a proportionate twist that cancels out the vast tropishness of Kaladin being the only begotten son of the planet's 2 pre Odium gods.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

AlwaysTheNextOne

Does Kaladin have a mixed heritage. Like maybe Yolish and Rosharan?

Brandon Sanderson

One thing I wanted to be very careful about in writing the Stormlight books is to stray away from people needing some kind of past or heritage to be special—it's okay for this to be for some characters, but it becomes a crutch. So your answer is no, he doesn't have much secret to his heritage. (Though his mother grew up wealthy for a darkeyes, and that's a little odd.)

General Reddit 2020 (Dec. 16, 2020)
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I have a way to make the evidence work together, 

What if Kal is an Avatar of Honor?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frustration said:

I think I have a way to make the evidence work together, 

What if Kal is an Avatar of Honor?

Depends what you mean by avatar. The only uses of "avatar of a Shard" I remember was about the Bavatars

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also Odiums Avatat which he confirms is a possible thing to exist.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bejardin1250 said:

Also Odiums Avatat which he confirms is a possible thing to exist.

I don't understand what you're talking about

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You said you only know about Bavadins Avatar.

I said Odium can have one too 

Sorry if I misunderstood 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mathiau said:

Depends what you mean by avatar. The only uses of "avatar of a Shard" I remember was about the Bavatars

Avatar's are possible for all shards,

and intrestingly have only been mentioned in Stormlight.

Autonomy in WoK epigraphs

Odium in RoW

Taidakar's "avatar"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frustration said:

Avatar's are possible for all shards,

and intrestingly have only been mentioned in Stormlight.

Autonomy in WoK epigraphs

Odium in RoW

Taidakar's "avatar"

I don't remember the two lasts, when were them?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mathiau said:

I don't remember the two lasts, when were them?

Odium told Moash that he wasn't his Avatar,

and Thaidakar doesn't have one but he tells the Ghostbloods he does.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Frustration said:

and Thaidakar doesn't have one but he tells the Ghostbloods he does.

For anyone who hasn't seen the WoB on this, definitely worth a read lol.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On Kal potentially being an Avatar

Autonomy is not the only shard to use them

Spoiler

The Dusty Wheel

Do any other Shards utilize avatars the way Autonomy does?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh... they have in the past, I can't say for sure if they are doing so now or not.

The Dusty Wheel Interview (April 1, 2020)

 

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Any Shard can make aspects [avatars].

Salt Lake City signing (Dec. 16, 2017)

 

 

Also The avatar will not always know.

Spoiler

Questioner

So Bavadin's avatars, right; Autonomy's avatars.

Brandon Sanderson

One of Bavadin's avatars. 

Questioner

Of those avatars, are some or all of them actual Splinters of Autonomy?

Brandon Sanderson

The terminology gets kind of sticky here. In Cosmere terms, some would say that counts as Splinters, some would say not. The avatars aren't necessarily aware but Bavadin always is. A lot of people in Cosmere would call that a Splinter. 

Questioner

My follow up to that would be, is it possible for a person to Ascend and become a Vessel of one of those Splinters?  

Brandon Sanderson

That is plausible. Yes. It could happen. It would be tough because they will have personalities of their own and so something would need to happen... but yeah.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

 

Edited by Frustration
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2021 at 10:49 PM, Frustration said:

Odium told Moash that he wasn't his Avatar,

and Thaidakar doesn't have one but he tells the Ghostbloods he does.

For some reason I had understood Tanavast in your previous post and was very confused. Thaidakar is definitely using the word avatar differently than Odium or

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

On Kal potentially being an Avatar

Autonomy is not the only shard to use them

  Reveal hidden contents

The Dusty Wheel

Do any other Shards utilize avatars the way Autonomy does?

Brandon Sanderson

Uh... they have in the past, I can't say for sure if they are doing so now or not.

The Dusty Wheel Interview (April 1, 2020)

 

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Any Shard can make aspects [avatars].

Salt Lake City signing (Dec. 16, 2017)

 

 

"I can't say for sure if they are doing so now or not."

In 2020

This is proof Kal is (currently) not an Avatar of anyone, at least not in the same sense as Bavadin's avatars

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mathiau said:

For some reason I had understood Tanavast in your previous post and was very confused. Thaidakar is definitely using the word avatar differently than Odium or

"I can't say for sure if they are doing so now or not."

In 2020

This is proof Kal is (currently) not an Avatar of anyone, at least not in the same sense as Bavadin's avatars

Can't say for sure is the same thing as RAFO.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Can't say for sure is the same thing as RAFO.

That would be a very unnatural way of saying. If it was from the general reddit instead of an interview maybe I'd accept the possibility of Brandon having said RAFO in a very weird way but this is from an interview, it either means "I didn't define it yet" or "I would need to check my note"

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mathiau said:

That would be a very unnatural way of saying. If it was from the general reddit instead of an interview maybe I'd accept the possibility of Brandon having said RAFO in a very weird way but this is from an interview, it either means "I didn't define it yet" or "I would need to check my note"

I see where you're coming from but I have to disagree

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.