Fabrial/Device- In Dalinar Vision

Karnage

I am on another reread of WoK. In the first Midnight Essence Vision that Dalinar is in it mentions a device, do we know anything about it?

"Dalinar lurched, turning to see a woman in delicate Shardplate kneeling beside him, holding something bright. It was a topaz entwined with a heliodor, both set into a fine metal framework, each stone as big as a man's hand"(Brandon 303). WoK.

Isn't the Radiant an Edgedance or Truthwatcher- regrowth? If so, what is she doing with gems associated with Taln, Ishar, Stonewards, and Bondsmiths?

Anything?

It's a regrowth fabrial. She uses it to heal Dalinar and Taffa's injuries, I believe.

Here's the full context of that quote

Dalinar lurched, turning to see a woman in delicate Shardplate kneeling beside him, holding something bright. It was a topaz entwined with a heliodor, both set into a fine metal framework, each stone as big as a man’s hand. The woman had light tan eyes that almost seemed to glow in the night, and she wore no helm. Her hair was pulled back into a bun. She raised a hand and touched his forehead.

Ice washed across him. Suddenly, his pain was gone.

The woman reached out and touched Taffa. The flesh on her arm regrew in an eyeblink; the torn muscle remained where it was, but other flesh just grew where the chunks had been torn out. The skin knitted up over it without flaw, and the female Shardbearer wiped away the blood and torn flesh with a white cloth.

and a little later

“I should save Regrowth for others who might be wounded,” the woman said, glancing at the village. The fighting seemed to be dying down.

Implying that her uses of it are limited, which wouldn't be the case for an Edgedancer or Truthwatcher.

Edited by RShara

8 minutes ago, Karnage said:

That makes a lot of sense. It makes me wonder though, why would heliodor and topaz be used?

Fabrials seem to be the only thing that cares about Gem type/Essence.  Heliodor=Flesh and Topaz=Bone. Frankly Im surprised that it doesnt also need a Ruby for Blood.  

1 minute ago, RShara said:

Heliodor is for flesh, topaz is for bone.

EDIT: beat me by half a second!

Edited by Quantus

1 hour ago, RShara said:

It's a regrowth fabrial. She uses it to heal Dalinar and Taffa's injuries, I believe.

Here's the full context of that quote

and a little later

Implying that her uses of it are limited, which wouldn't be the case for an Edgedancer or Truthwatcher.

This scene really made me wonder if classical fabrials worked more like metal minds mixed with breath where the specific order of radiant would infuse stormlight into an appropriate gem, and other radiants could draw out that pre-determined stormlight to complete the pre-intended task. It would be interesting if the trapping of spren is something that became possible/permitted post recreance. 

I realize that bonding a spren to gems was possible (dawn-shards), but maybe gemstones weren't being utilize in the same way as artifabrians now do in the modern era. I feel like the intention was not to torture spren in order to get levitation...

Edited by teknopathetic

41 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

This scene really made me wonder if classical fabrials worked more like metal minds mixed with breath where the specific order of radiant would infuse stormlight into an appropriate gem, and other radiants could draw out that pre-determined stormlight to complete the pre-intended task. It would be interesting if the trapping of spren is something that became possible/permitted post recreance. 

I realize that bonding a spren to gems was possible (dawn-shards), but maybe gemstones weren't being utilize in the same way as artifabrians now do in the modern era. I feel like the intention was not to torture spren in order to get levitation...

Personally I dont think so for a couple reasons. Permitted is certainly possible, but the realmic function of Spren in Gems is a fundamental part of the Rosharan Gemheart ecology that predated humans and even (potentially) the Shards arrival. As far as whether it was permitted to trap spren in fabrials, I think they'd be fine wiht it so long as you were talking about the non-Sapient spren species that they view as animals.  Syl mentioned that her aunt goes on hunts for some species, and none of the sapient spren have express the same distaste that they seem to universally feel about dead shardbaldes.  I think it's the cultural equivalent of wearing Leather.

3 hours ago, Karnage said:

Isn't the Radiant an Edgedance or Truthwatcher- regrowth? If so, what is she doing with gems associated with Taln, Ishar, Stonewards, and Bondsmiths?

For future reference, the female Radiant in that vision is a Stoneward; Dalinar notes her as having tan eyes and her armor glows amber. Hence, she needed that fabrial to provide healing services as she doesn't have Regrowth, and as already mentioned the gems used are associated with the essences she's trying to heal.

It should be noted that any of the 10 surges can be replicated with fabrials, not just soulcasting and regrowth.

Argent (paraphrased)

Fabrials replicate Soulcasting abilities. Is it possible for fabrials to replicate all such Surgebinding abilities?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, good question! Fabrials can replicate all of the Surgebinding abilities.

Steelheart Chicago signing (Oct. 5, 2013)

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

On 2020-02-06 at 9:06 PM, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

It should be noted that any of the 10 surges can be replicated with fabrials, not just soulcasting and regrowth.

And the surges existed before the Nahel bond, so if spren aren't needed originally for surges then perhaps there is a way of doing fabrils without them. 

Edited by teknopathetic

• Chaos locked this topic