a speculation on blending surges from two different orders

SzethIsBadAsHell

So I was wondering what new resonances might occur if a Radiant from one order got  a hold of a Honorblade of another Order could new resonances be discovered between surges . Then something dawned on me . We have seen something similar on screen and it didn’t require an Honorblade ; therefore it may be quite possible we may see something new in the future .

When Dalinar and Shallan got together and made the map they were blending lightweaving and Tension perhaps . ( I’m really not sure what surge Dalinar was using ) but they did create a new resonance . This got me thinking Dalinar and Mullata or another Dustbringer could probably create complex statues , designs and statues to form architecture . Sounds boring ? Yeah probably .... but it lead me to Jasnah and shallan working together to blend lightweaving and transportation : they could send Holograms at a long distance ! How could this be useful ? Sending messages back and forth to someone in shadesmar . Sending messages from Thaylan city to Urithiru without using a spanreed. Long distance communication is always a good thing .

Can anyone think of any cool effects from blending two surges ? 

@SzethIsBadAsHell I think the Dalinar/Shallan thing is just one of Dalinar’s powers as a Bondsmith. He has show the ability to mess with Connection at other points in the story, and I think that’s what he was doing there.

Any thoughts about possible resonances would be pure speculation, but I think that Gravity and Abrasion would have some pretty cool interactions, as well as Cohesion and Illumination.

I dont want to call it Resonance, just because that's a specific cosmere term with it's own implications and limitations, and I dont thing what Dalinar did would technically qualify. 

So, just calling them Surge Combinations, I see a bunch of possibilities, and I fully expect Fabrial tech to start taking advantage of some of these. 

Dalinar was able to Connect Shallan to the Stormfather, which let her make an Illusion based on his senses.  He can probably make similar Connections to other Sensory sources, with the coolest offhand being if Dalinar Connected her to Renarin's Lightweaving so that everyone was able to see his Prophetic Stained Glass Windows.  Alternatively he might be able to reverse it and project Illusions (Or even ReGrowth for something truly EPIC) through the Storm.  

Likely some of the larger fractal formations in the world (Windblades, Shattered Plains, etc) were a combination of Division (which alone can make those fractal forms) along with some Power amplification (that seems to be Bondsmiths bread & butter). 

Honorable Mention: Not sure this is the same thing, but I think the best and most complex Fabrials will require Soulcasting.  Rather than trapping a Spren in a Gem and making a mechanical device to manipulate it, I think they need to use Soulcasting to Create an Object that see's itself as 100% THAT Fabrial, whose whole Cognitive Self is devoted to the fabrial's Purpose.  This is how I think the Oathgates were made.  

It does say on the wiki hat they are called resonances, on the lightweaver page it has three ability groups: Transformation, Illumination and resonance.

Resonance[edit]

Due to a combination of their two surges, Lightweavers have new, secondary effects, know as a Resonance.[7] Lightweavers may have multiple Resonances, with a prominent one being mnemonic abilities.[8][9] This includes the ability to deliberately memorize a scene, after which the Lightweaver can paint or draw that scene with remarkable accuracy.[10][11] The ability to memorize scenes and reproduce them accurately is similar to the ability of a Feruchemist to store memories in a coppermind,[12] in that both talents involve the removal of a memory from the mind and its replacement in another medium - in the Lightweaver's case, a sketch rather than a coppermind. This ability is affected by the presence of the Unmade.[citation needed] There is an upper limit to how many memories can be stored at once.[13] Members of this order generally do not have these mnemonic abilities before bonding a Cryptic and are not something that Cryptics are necessarily interested in when searching for a person to bond with.[14] Lightweavers can experience light and color differently and may be able to minutely alter the mood of others.[15] It is also implied that they may able to to create a solid illusion by combining their Illumination surge and their Soulcasting.[16][7]

Edited by StoneBound

• Chaos locked this topic