Making a larger Elantris

Karger

Just now, Karger said:

And act like they do at which point the difference is minimal.

No, at that point the difference is very much the largest and most meaningful it could be.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

He did not predict Hrathen and I do not think that they were acting under orders is my understanding.

"How had Wyrn known that Fjon would find Hrathen here, on the streets of Teoras of all places?" (Page 597/616 by my copy's count). Fjon was told where to go and why to go there, by someone in the chain of command that he assumes is Wyrn (and for all intents and purposes probably is). Somewhere along that line, he knew that Hrathen would betray them.

5 hours ago, Karger said:

We don't know if unwilling sacrifices will work.  Also how often do you think this ability is needed?

In combat, if just snatching any bystander to sacrifice worked, you would not use one of your fighting men to teleport. In fact Dakhor monks are expensive. You would use a soldier if willingness decided the issue. No, by all indications it takes another Dakhor monk for some sacrifices at least to work.

On 3/4/2020 at 2:46 AM, Oltux72 said:

In combat, if just snatching any bystander to sacrifice worked, you would not use one of your fighting men to teleport. In fact Dakhor monks are expensive. You would use a soldier if willingness decided the issue. No, by all indications it takes another Dakhor monk for some sacrifices at least to work.

Yes, the fact that they used monks to teleport in the middle of a city, instead of just kidnapping people to use, shows that they do need monks to sacrifice, at least for some some things

I think it depends on the investiture of the person sacrificed. There is an annotations or WoB where Brandon was asked about the 50 people sacrificed needed to make a dakhor monk. Brandon explained it was using the investiture in those people's souls. So I think theoretically, in order for the Dakhor to teleport using any old people, they would need to sacrifice a lot more people than one Dakhor monk. That they used the dakhor monk for expediency sake. 

edit: correction, 50 to become immune to the Dor

Tsidqiyah

On Sel. It costs about 50 sacrifices to become immune to Aons. Is that number essential? Or if someone with 50 Breath was sacrificed...?

Brandon Sanderson

That number is not essential. But you would have to hack the magic system. You need that much Investiture. So, 50 peoples' souls worth. But if you knew how to hack the magic, Breath could substitute there pretty easily.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016) Edited by Pathfinder

I'm a little late to the party, but I want to point out that during Dilaf's PoV at the battle in Teoras he remarks to himself that he is the only one of the monks capable to breaking and resisting Aons. If it was easy to make more like him, it's hard to imagine them not doing it. It is also worth noting that he isn't actually immune to Aons, but rather just more resistant that a regular monk. He even dodges out of the way of the Aon Daas that killed most of his men because he knows he cant survive them. A final point, we never see Dilaf break a full power Aon. Instead, he break Raoden's illusion before Elantris is restored, and breaks Raoden Aon Edo while in Teod, which is in the outer limit of Elantris' range.

• 2 months later...
On 2/6/2020 at 9:36 AM, Quantus said:

Alternative:  Is there any reason that they couldnt just make a Second Elantris?  Or wait, what about FOUR more, so the original is at the center and the other expand out from the cardinal directions?  Would this increase the overall Range of AonDor?  Would this increase the apparent hard population max on Elantrians in existence?

Making copies of Elantra’s would not increase the range of AonDor, as AonDor’s power isn’t based on the users’ proximity to Elantris, but to Arelon itself, as the entire system of AonDor is based off Arelon’s geography. In fact, creating copies of Elantris may have a similar effect as the Reod.  

Edit: I just read up on this topic; AonDor’s power is directly related to the Elantrian’s distance from Elantris, NOT Arelon. So making copies of Elantris may actually increase the range of AonDor. I think this would only be effective if these copies were in Arelon, though.

Making new Elantris-sized cities could drastically alter Arelon’s geography. Many Aon’s would have to be altered to fit this model—perhaps even the Rao of Elantris itself.

Edited by RealmaticTheorist