What is "the element"?

Domo4448

In the chapter 14 of twok apart of the hoid letter to frost mentions an element

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

I'm curious if we know what hes referring too by the element. I just wrapped up a cosmere reread amd cant think of anything it could be. I thought maybe elohkars cryptic but it seems to be a reference to something from. Back in the day,  before stormlight.

13 minutes ago, Domo4448 said:

In the chapter 14 of twok apart of the hoid letter to frost mentions an element

I'm curious if we know what hes referring too by the element. I just wrapped up a cosmere reread amd cant think of anything it could be. I thought maybe elohkars cryptic but it seems to be a reference to something from. Back in the day,  before stormlight.

I believe it is the bead of Lerasium that Hoid took from the Well of Ascension.

Edit, yeah it's the Lerasium, Per WOB:

little wilson (paraphrased)

Brandon confirmed that "the element" is the bead of lerasium. Which confirms both this theory, and the theory that Hoid wrote the letter.

When I asked the question, I also thought the element and the lerasium were different. I asked it as a "Hoid clearly has a habit for taking important items. He has the bead of lerasium and the element. What other items does he have that we should know about?"

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Brandon's response was that the bead and the element are the same. And that he has many items he should not have.

Rithmatist Provo signing (June 3, 2013)

Edited by The Sovereign
Added relevant WOB.

• Chaos locked this topic