Shattered Stories

Bluest

Allie nodded to show Lynn that she'd heard. She'd jumped when she first heard Ash's voice over the phone, as she'd forgotten it was ringing, and had wandered slightly away so that she didn't like she was eavesdropping. Her gaze had quickly settled on Maggie, attention grabbed by the blatant display of firepower, and didn't waver until she felt the draft from Lynn's wings. Then she ended up staring at her in awe. That answered her question from before about whether Lynn could fly or not.

"Wow," she whispered. She could hear Maggie's phone conversation in the background, but elected to ignore it for the most part.

"See you around, I suppose," Maggie said, giving her a nod before heading back to her car.

"Oh. Yeah. I guess," Allie replied, talking to herself for the most part. Who else would she be talking to, really? She shook her head, bringing her focus back to the moment. She still had to get back to the house.

Lynn left, Sky flying beside her, the buildings growing distant.  As she flew, she thought.  Could I really have friends here?  I can't recall a time when people actually want to be there for me.  That is, except Kate, but she was different, she'd shown Lynn how to control her magic, after the sleeping spell incident.  She thought, could I really start over with the Fae?  As she poured over these questions, she saw the castle looming in the distance.  She felt a sharp panic rise inside her, but pushed it down, fear could wait, this can't.  She flew down and landed in a immaculate garden, Sky landing on her outstretched arm. @Bluest

• 4 weeks later...

Ash was in her rooms, grabbing her planner (a multicolored, heavy thing with too many papers sticking out of it) when a tap came to her door and a maid scurried in. 

"Ms. Ash Cantar? There is someone in the courtyard waiting for you. She says her name is Lynn? She seems to have *ahem* flown here." Ash could tell from the distain on the maid's face (and her iron ring) that she had no love for faeries, especially ones that showed their power so blatantly, but Ash ignored it.

"Ahh," Ash replied. "Take me to her." She was under no obligation to explain her connection to Lynn. Not to awful, faerie hating maids. 

Ash followed the maid out into the courtyard to find a disgruntled looking servant trying to herd Lynn away from the flower beds and an equally uncomfortable Lynn trying not to touch anyone in the crowded space. 

Ash put on her everything is fine smile and headed towards the out of place faerie, saying, "Lynn. It's wonderful to see you so soon. Come. I'll show you to your rooms and get you settled there." What she really wanted to do was to get Lynn away from everyone before they started asking too many questions. It would be no good if the faerie council got wind of her new guest before she could tell them herself and explain the situation. It was probably too late. Rumors spread like wildfire here. Oh well. Just another thing on her checklist. Ash took Lynn by the hand and guided her inside.

Ash bustled around the room in her long, pale blue dress, putting the finishing touches on everything. Tonight had to be perfect. It would prove her worth as a faerie guardian of she could only find Charles's true love at the ball. Then he would be happy and she could be successful. Still, it felt too much like an ending for Ash's tastes. So she worked until that sick feeling turned into focus and her head filled with different things. 

"Hey," a voice called behind her and shook Ash from her thoughts. It was Charles, looking as handsome as ever in royal blue and gold. "Breathe," he said in that comforting way of his. Without even talking to her, he knew how nervous she was. "Tonight is going to go great and finally everyone will see how talented you are with magic. Everything will be fine."

Ash listened. Of course Charles was right. He was always right about these things. She would just have to calm down, and the night would go fine. In. Out. Ash smiled up at Charles and nodded, going back to her work.

But soon her thoughts turned worried again. This time she was concerned about Lynn. She had been living at the palace for about a week now, and had started to fit in. (Not exactly fit in, but she at least stopped putting everyone on edge). Ash wondered how her preparations for the ball were going. She had Mrs. Luxdoen getting her ready for The party, but Ash couldn't quite imagine Lynn in a ball gown. Oh well. Ash couldn't control it now. 

Spoiler

@xinoehp512 Sure, have a new character. Also, sorry for the long post. My thoughts aren't coming out as eloquently as I would like. Feel no obligation to read all of my posts unless they are actually directed to you.

Lynn took a deep breath, Eva, a girl that Lynn had come to like, had been helping her with her preparations.  "Done."  Eva said with a smile, and turned her around.  Lynn gasped, she had always been told she was pretty, even for a fae, but she had never believed it until now.  Even with her wings concealed.  She was in a dark forest-green ball gown, her hair falling down her shoulders.  She no longer looked like the angry Faerie that she sometimes was, she looked good.  Eva smiled at her reaction, "It's good, huh?"  Lynn smiled and spontaniously hugged Eva.  Eva hugged her back, "You know, you're not as bad as people say you are."  Lyn smiled again, "Thank you."  Sky came to the window and cawed his agreement.  She had opted to hide her wings, she didn't want the nobles to bemore scared of her than rhey needed to be, but she felt bare without them.  Eva checked the clock, "You still have about an hour, anything you want to do?"  She asked, and suddenly Lynn was very nervous.  She glanced around her room, and her eyes alighted on her violin case, "I think I do."  Eva glanced at the violin and sighed, "Just be sure not to ruin anything."  Lynn smiled, hugged her and thanked her one more time, then grabbed her violin and went out into the gardens, not close enough to annoy anyone, but you could hear the music from inside, and played, loosing herself to the music.

Edited by Aragorn

Reamas chuckled at the newspaper’s headline. Mystery bank robbers seen in two places at once! He handed it to Sean, who unfolded the paper and began to read. It was the evening edition, and they’d finally made the front page. Tonight was the night of the ball, and perhaps the most crucial point in his plan revolved around it. They still had a little while before the ball itself. Reamas tightened his cuffs, rolling his neck as he did so. His suit was in the more classic Colombia City style, consisting of a high collared black shirt with a tailored overcoat and matching slacks. Sean was wearing a more normal suit, white shirt, pure black tie and sport coat. 

Sean smiled and folded up the newspaper. “From the way they write about us, you’d think we were all archmages.” 

“No, not exactly.” Reamas smiled for a brief moment, “I mean, we could be using magic only, but that’s too much of a hassle. Greed is a powerful enough force for our goals.” he picked his handgun up off the table, tucking it into his coat.

Maggie strode into the main area of the penthouse, dressed in a red ball gown that matched her russet hair. She was followed closely by James, who was wearing a tuxedo. 

“Wonderful, you’re all dressed.” Reamas checked his watch. “We should probably get going, since the palace is across town. With that, he nodded to Sean and they walked out of the penthouse. Maggie and James hung back, probably distracted by some argument or another. Once they were in the elevator, Sean looked at Reamas thoughtfully. “You know, we’ve never been to a real ball before. Kind of strange isn’t it.”
Reamas nodded somewhat distractedly. He was thinking about Ash, the fairy who’d invited them to the ball in the first place. She’d probably try to corner him at the party, and question him. Reamas smiled. He had some questions for Ash, too.

It was an hour past sunset, and the blanket of darkness had long since fallen. A few stars shone in the sky above, but only those strong enough to overpower the blinding brilliance of the lights of the city below.
From atop a rooftop high above the city, two pinpricks gleamed with reflected light as they watched the hustle and bustle passing below. If one looked closely, one could almost make out the silhouette of the small, sleek feline to whom they belonged. If one looked even closer, one might even make out the dust particles and small bits of debris that danced in the wind around him in an eerie, almost unnatural way.
But even if any still lived in that city of lights with vision sharp enough to make out the scene, they would have likely paid it no mind. Humanity had advanced far in many ways since the Exchange, but they had long since left magic behind. To them, a cat was a cat, and the wind the wind. They had no reason to suspect them to be anything else.
But in that, they would be wrong.
"It's funny," murmured the cat. "We shine our lights in order to see- but in doing so, we blind ourselves."
The wind rustled around the cat in a way that almost sounded like a sigh. "Morpheus, you're being physiological again."
The cat smiled. "You mean philosphical?"
A speck of dust tickled his whiskers in an irritated way. "Whatever. Can't we go kill something instead? We passed a murder of crows sitting on some telephone wires a block or two back. I bet there's still some, if we hurry."
Morpheus sighed. "Chakra, I already ate. I don't need any more."
"You don't have to eat them..."
A snort. "I doubt the queen would appreciate me leaving corpses strewn about her city."
Chakra scoffed. "Like she'd notice one crow."
"I highly doubt you intend for me to stop at one," said the cat drily.
"There are thousands of birds in this city!" The spirit's voice became a whine. "Besides, we saved her daughter, didn't we? She owes us. That's why she invited us to the ball and everything, right?" He twirled thoughtfully. "Well, that and the fact that she-"
"Enough," said Morpheus, getting to his feet and starting for the opposite side of the rooftop. "Life cannot be all about death, Chakra, no matter how much you might wish it to be so. Besides, the ball that you so kindly mentioned starts in an hour. We have no time to stop for a crow, snack or otherwise."
Chakra sighed, but followed Morpheus into the darkness without another comment.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, the time was at hand. The guests were arriving now. She was greeting each one personally as quickly as possible, as well as long as eye out for anyone that could be a perfect match for Charles. This was her chance to win her place as a faerie guardian!! Her mind buzzed with excitement, but she kept her face suitably composed. She just knew it. Everything would be perfect.

I feel like we should just get on to it.

Lynn checked the time, then hurried to her room, put the violin back, and walked to the great hall, taking a deep breath before entering.  She nodded to the guards to open the doors and went in.  She felt too exposed without her wings, wanting to hide within their feathery depths, but she calmly walked down, deciding not to notice the expressions on people's faces when she walked. @Bluest

Ash turned to the whispers that filled this side of the room to find Lynn. She was beautiful in her deep green dress, though she did look rather uncomfortable without her wings. And a bit wrong, to be frank. Ash felt as if seeing Lynn without her wings was different. She looked less wild and imposing. More manufactured than usual.

Ash hurried over to Lynn and smiled at her, trying to ease her worries. "You look wonderful," she informed her. "How are you feeling? You look... not happy. Can I get you anything?"

@Aragorn

Lyn glanced at Ash, "You look great, too."  Then Lynn glanced around, some people were staring at her, but none of them looked like they had put two and two together.  She then looked back and smiled at Ash, "I'm fine.  Just uncomfortable, how do you live without having your wings out?"  She asked.  @Bluest

Ash thought about that. She had never really had her wings out for any extended amount of time, so she had never learned to miss them. Honestly, she hadn't really flown much outside of a few emergencies, and even then she wasn't particularly good at it.

"I guess I just never think about it. I never have an occasion to have them out in the first place, so I don't get a chance to miss them," Ash answered.

"Ah," Ash replied. "Now my evil plan can commence. Walk with me, I'm going to introduce you to a couple people who can hopefully get rid of these awful rumors and maybe even get you into guardian training, if that's your kind of thing. If not, you can stay here until you get back on your feet and by then I'll have several people spreading good rumors about you for once. Maybe that can help you with the whole, everybody-not-exactly-liking you thing. Now come on."

Spoiler

Once again, wrong button. Sorry. I promise I'm getting better.

I don't really have many plans for characters to introduce Lynn to, so if anyone wants to interrupt me feel free.