Shattered Stories

Bluest

Rumplestiltskin stormed angrily down the street. Quince-cursed humans and their quince-cursed 'technology'! The world would be a much better place if only it could get back to the time before they ruled the planet. Bossing everyone around like the planet was sparking made for them. 

It was hardly pleasant thoughts, but he was hardly in a pleasant mood. Certainly not pleasant enough to watch where he was going, or avoid crashing into the recently-landed dark fairy.

@Ookla the very snazzy

My my, Ash thought to herself, that is a lot to handle. Lady Braithwope. With debts to pay to some mysterious secret society. Goodness. That was something to think about. Not that she had any proof. She wasn't even sure that she could use it even if she did. People like that were hard to get to. Besides, who knew what it would do poor Ella.

Ash was filing that information away for later when a thump sounded from the direction of the fairy. She felt another magical wrongness and figured it was probably the small man that had ran into the strange girl. Goodness. How many ridiculously powerful people could she run into in one day? To be frank, it was getting a little overpowering. Magic had a certain feel to it. Ash couldn't quite describe it. It lulled you to sleep at the same time it energised you. It filled sounds like newly fallen snow and sharpened colors. Just being near Coyote was starting to affect her senses. 

Coyote's power has a certain feel. Yes it was wrong, but it was something else as well. It felt dry like a desert though she swore that she could almost smell the world after rain. It felt like long days and bright nights without the light pollution of the city. It felt wild and restrained at the same time. 

"Do you know these two?" Ash asked Coyote.

Lynn stared sorrowfully at the fae, why did she think this fae would be any different, this fae looked nice enough, and Lynn she shifted her vision to the ground, kicking at the grass.  Sky rested on her shoulder, his and her earlier happiness forgotten, a faint memory.  She turned, and with Sky on her shoulder, tilted her head.  The Fae was talking to a human?  No that wasn't right, something was odd about this person, an aura of power?  Humans weren't supposed to do that kind of stuff.  Tilting her head, she started walking towards them, then stopped herself, Why am I doing this? She thought, I don't know who these people are or where they're from.  Sky, sensing her uneasiness flew ahead, circling the two strangers.  Just then, out of the blue, something bumped into her.  She took a step back, reflexively taking off.  @Bluest @Dr. Dapper @xinoehp512

Edited by Ookla the very snazzy

Ash's attention, already spread so thin, broke when the strange fairy took off. She couldn't let her run away. The unanswered questions wouldn't kill her, but she hated unsolved puzzles. They felt like failure, and Ash did not fail. 

"Stay right there," she said to Coyote and his friend. Ash took off after the fairy, waving her down. "Wait!!!"

Reamas rolled his eyes, following Ash with an unconcerned saunter. As he approached the others, he rolled his shoulders slightly, readying himself for an actual confrontation. He eyed the dwarf, adding him to the count. Mentally, he ran scenarios through his head, guessing at most of the others' actions. There weren’t any normal mortals in the mix, so things could get exciting really fast.

Ash approached the fairy with caution, making sure not make any sudden movements. The fairy seemed like a wild animal baked into a corner, and Ash didn't want to scare her off again. Getting closer to both her, the small man, and Coyote (who was following Ash despite her request) made Ash's head feel light, her energy drained and then refilled in quick succession. This much power was almost too much, but Ash would accustom to it soon. She was more sensitive than most, but also stronger.

"Hi. I'm Ash, and you are..." She trailed off as a raven flew across the corner of her vision.

Finally, something clicked. Ash took in the fairy once more, noticing her in greater detail. She had heard of this girl before. Long, black hair. Bright, green eyes. Wings like her fowl companion. Yes this had to be Lynn Stormwind. She was said to be cursed to only give out curses. Interesting. Ash wondered if this were true. It would truly make her a dangerous friend, but a powerful ally. Plus, she seemed nice and out of place.

With this one puzzle solved, Ash moved on to the next one. Why were all these powerhouses showing up in the same place? It couldn't be mere coincidence. No, Ash didn't believe in coincidences. There must have been something that had drawn them here. What was it? They couldn't all be caught up in Lady Braithwope's try for power, could they? Or was there some magical source that was drawing them here? (Or was it just plot, Ash would ask if she were able to break the fourth wall. Unfortunately...) 

Elsewhere 

Brandon watched as Maggie backed the armored car they’d borrowed into the loading dock. As it rolled to a stop, Brandon consulted the sheet of paper Reamas had given him. It had several addresses written on it, locations of banks around the capital. The plan was to hit these banks, and take a specific amount of cash from each, also specified on the paper. Brandon shook his head. Reamas’s plans often seemed insane unless you knew every part of them, and he never revealed that until after he’d pulled them off. And he always managed to pull them off, somehow. 

Brandon glanced at the paper again, tapping one of the banks circled in red. Reamas was off with Sean, supposedly doing something crucial. 

Earlier this morning, Reamas had briefed Brandon on the bank heists. “We need to hit each one of these banks at some point, the order doesn’t particularly matter.” he’d said, handing Brandon the paper. “However, there are a few that we should try to hit first. I circled those ones.” Reamas had nodded to Brandon and started walking to the car before he remembered something. “And Brandon, these are actual banks, so be careful, because the police will probably show up.” 

Brandon grinned and strode into the warehouse, waving to the large man reclining in a folding chair, smoking a cigar. “Kevin! Where’s your brother?” Kevin shrugged, standing up and blowing smoke out of his mouth. 

“Maggie’s back with the truck then?” he asked, grabbing a shotgun off the floor. 

Brandon nodded, heading for the rear of the massive room. He found James sitting at the round table with his feet up, cleaning his pistol casually. Brandon snapped his fingers, getting the lean man’s attention. “Grab your kit, we’ve got the truck.” 

James grinned, “Finally.” he grabbed a bag off the table and jogged off to the loading dock. Brandon himself walked over to one of the many containers that were strewn around the warehouse and grabbed his revolver and a submachine gun off of it, checking the load on the SMG and tucking his revolver into its holster.

More to come!

Rumplestiltskin tumbled backwards, landing hard on his tailbone. His glare melted, however, as he took in exactly who he'd crashed into. His eyes widened. "Fire and iron..." He stumbled backwards, trying to get to his feet. "You're the one... the one who did that curse. On the girl." He swallowed.

Hi, @Ookla the very snazzy. I don't quite remember if you were with us for our last RPG. It was called Twisted Tales, and in it I played Sleeting Beauty. So if you're confused by xinoehp512's comment, that's why. So sorry if you were actually there for Twisted Tales and this explanation is for naught. 

Thanks.  (No, I wasn't with you.)

Lynn caught the look of recognition on the Ash's face and thought, this isn't going to end well.  Then she caught the dwarf's comment and squeezed her eyes shut, not wanting to be reminded of that fateful day, this was before she knew of her curse and wanted to bless the child with true love when she turned 16.  Once the spell was out of her mouth, it changed into something horrid.  She had been reminded of that day ever since.  In fact, that event was part of the reason she had resolved to leave.  "Lynn Stormwind."  She whispered, though it was unnecessary, Ash knew who she was and the others would know soon.  The rush of people crowding her gave her the nausea only claustrophobia could inflict.  Thankfully, Sky came to her rescue, by circling her with the intent to drive the others back a step. @xinoehp512 @Bluest @Dr. Dapper

Ash backed away as Lynn's raven friend dove at her head. What in all the sensibilities was that for!?

She readied herself for a fight, but she then saw Lynn's panicked face and she calmed down. The Raven was only trying to protect is friend.

"I'm sorry," Ash said, trying to calm Lynn down. "I can see I've made you uncomfortable. All of you. To apologise, I would like to formally invite you all to the Prince's ball." Ash hoped this would make it so they would eventually give her the answers she looked for. She would find a way to broach the subject of they came.

"If it's all the same to you,"  Lynn said, "I don't believe that I'd be welcome there."  She didn't really want to be all mixed up with... that.  She realized Sky was hovering around the faerie, and signaled him to land on her shoulder.  Why would she want to go to a ball anyway, in a cramped ballroom with people who wanted only to catch the prince's eye.  Besides, the moment that she got there, people would know exactly who she was and then, the word would get out that Lynn Stormwind was in this kingdom, and that would cause a whole mess of issues. @Bluest @Dr. Dapper @xinoehp512

Reamas very nearly laughed, but years of hiding his emotions kept his face in check. A formal invitation to the ball. He could only recall a few times when he’d been this lucky. An invitation to the ball was exactly what he and Sean had come here to get. Though there were clearly some strings attached. Reamas thought for a moment, considering the ramifications to the plan. The most that could happen was Ash seeking him out to talk to him at the ball, which shouldn’t affect that portion of the plan unduly. In fact, it could even give him some advantage. 

Reamas looked at Ash again, his mouth quirking in a small smile. She was unique, and Reamas was fascinated by her. He’d never met any fae before, and she didn’t really meet his expectations. No, the raven-winged one was much closer to what he’d thought they’d be like.

"I assure you that you would be quite welcome," Ash said to the skittish fairy and gave Lynn her best smile. Ash had been told that her smile was a pretty one and she was inclined to believe that.

"I would tend to your comfort personally," she continued (it wasn't entirely a lie, she was looking after everyone's comfort personally, it was her job after all. She would be sure to watch Lynn carefully. After all, who knew what would set her off. Ash herself had to have quite a bit of training in order to control her magic when she became emotional and wasn't sure of Lynn's training in that matter.). 

"And you three gentlemen? What is your response." Ash tilted her head inquiringly and tried to look as innocent as possible. Who knew what they thought she was asking for in return, but she didn't want them to suspect her of anything. She really only wanted answers after all.

Lynn rose her eyebrows at that, but didn't comment.  She wasn't going.  She thought, but then her softer side played devil's advocate saying, I was planning to move on anyway, and going out with a bang would be fun, besides, scaring all that nobility would be awesome.  She gave Ash a small smile, and then looked to the dwarf, the man?, she wasn't quite sure on that one, and another man, when did they show up? @Bluest @xinoehp512 @Dr. Dapper

11 hours ago, Bluest said:

"I assure you that you would be quite welcome," Ash said to the skittish fairy and gave Lynn her best smile. Ash had been told that her smile was a pretty one and she was inclined to believe that.

"I would tend to your comfort personally," she continued (it wasn't entirely a lie, she was looking after everyone's comfort personally, it was her job after all. She would be sure to watch Lynn carefully. After all, who knew what would set her off. Ash herself had to have quite a bit of training in order to control her magic when she became emotional and wasn't sure of Lynn's training in that matter.). 

"And you three gentlemen? What is your response." Ash tilted her head inquiringly and tried to look as innocent as possible. Who knew what they thought she was asking for in return, but she didn't want them to suspect her of anything. She really only wanted answers after all.

Rumpelstiltskin looked at her incredulously. "Do you have any idea what she can do?" He swallowed. "What she will do?" 

Lynn looked down, the dwarf was right, she shouldn't go.  Then she heard him say, 'What she will do.'  And exploded, "Do you think I chose what I did, you think I chose to harm that baby?!?"  She yelled, "You think I'm the bad guy?  You think I chose that spell?!?"  She was ranting at this point. "No, I'm done.  This is why I choose not to go to these things, something always turns out wrong, oh, and they just blame it on the faerie, who didn't even want to go in the first place."  She walked away, "This is why I don't go."  She muttered, Sky was flapping about her, confused. @xinoehp512 @Bluest @Dr. Dapper

Ash glared at the small man. Sure, she was a cursed fairy, but that was no reason to be rude. 

"Wait!" Ash yelled after Lynn. She didn't know why she was so intent on getting her to come, but it was just a feeling. She had those sometimes. Most of the time, they were to fulfill some wish of some kind. Ash needed these three to attend the ball. At this point, it was more a matter of failure or not, and Ash did not fail.

She caught one of the fairy's hands between her own. Lynn's power flooded Ash's sences. It was wild and dark and free. It was intoxicating. She quickly let go, but stayed close.

"I'm so sorry about his actions, but I trust you. I know how it is not to feel in control. To feel like you fail at the most basic things. I can help you. Just come to the ball, and I can help you get a life where you don't have to be scared. Okay?"

18 hours ago, Ookla the very snazzy said:

Lynn looked down, the dwarf was right, she shouldn't go.  Then she heard him say, 'What she will do.'  And exploded, "Do you think I chose what I did, you think I chose to harm that baby?!?"  She yelled, "You think I'm the bad guy?  You think I chose that spell?!?"  She was ranting at this point. "No, I'm done.  This is why I choose not to go to these things, something always turns out wrong, oh, and they just blame it on the faerie, who didn't even want to go in the first place."  She walked away, "This is why I don't go."  She muttered, Sky was flapping about her, confused. @xinoehp512 @Bluest @Dr. Dapper

2 hours ago, Bluest said:

Ash glared at the small man. Sure, she was a cursed fairy, but that was no reason to be rude. 

"Wait!" Ash yelled after Lynn. She didn't know why she was so intent on getting her to come, but it was just a feeling. She had those sometimes. Most of the time, they were to fulfill some wish of some kind. Ash needed these three to attend the ball. At this point, it was more a matter of failure or not, and Ash did not fail.

She caught one of the fairy's hands between her own. Lynn's power flooded Ash's sences. It was wild and dark and free. It was intoxicating. She quickly let go, but stayed close.

"I'm so sorry about his actions, but I trust you. I know how it is not to feel in control. To feel like you fail at the most basic things. I can help you. Just come to the ball, and I can help you get a life where you don't have to be scared. Okay?"

Rumplestiltskin's eyes widened. "What are you doing?" he hissed, backing away as far as he dared and making warding gestures. "Do you understand the severity of this situation? She can mess with fate! If she curses you, there's no coming back from that!"

"I'm not the one who's scared."  She said to Ash, then hearing the dwarf, "No.  I can't."  She said quietly.  This whole situation was getting out of hand.  She gestured for Sky to go on.  And turned to Ash saying, "Tell me.  Why should I listen to you.  Your kind hates me."  @Bluest @xinoehp512 @Dr. Dapper

Hearing Lynn's words, Ash felt a pang of guilt. It was true that most fairies knew of the girl, but no one hated her. No one really feared her except for the strange little man. Who had made her feel this hurt? Who had made her feel this way? In other words, who did she have to make sure their life sucked? Ash wasn't very physical in her fighting, but she would destroy anyone in her path socially. Even emotionally if she could get away with it. Most of the time, she couldn't do either without consequence, but perhaps she could make an exception. 

Woah. What was she thinking? Ash stood back from her emotions and thought of it logically. Since when did she get so does up over someone she hardly knew? It must be another side effect of all the magic auras around, making her head stop working the way it should.

"Coyote is right," Ash answered after some deliberation. "We both are the same. You may be much more powerful and a little cursed, but that doesn't change much. And for what you said," she continued to the little man (He had not given her his name and he hadn't hers, but what was one to do?), "I have no fear of Lynn here. She is welcome wherever I am, having the same status. She has more control of herself than you think. What, do you think all fairies go around magicking people willy nilly? Of course not!" There were a few who did that, but they were generally blacklisted from polite society. Poor Lucinda. She never did fit in. But that's what you get when you "bless" every newly wed and new born with curses. She didn't even have a curse on her spells. She was just a ditzy, badly worded spell caster.

Lynn tilted her head, considering Ash for a moment.  Could she really mean what she said?  Could they somehow become friends?  Her phone buzzed in her pocket.  Get your stuff out of here.  It was the hotel manager.  He had found out who she was.  She grimaced and said, "I've got to go." @Bluest @xinoehp512 @Dr. Dapper

Ash stood there for a moment. She couldn't full well stop Lynn again. It looked like she wasn't just uncomfortable, but late for something. And far be it from Ash to promote tardiness. 

"Okay," she said reluctantly. Before Lynn could truly get away, Ash rummaged through the small purse she always had at her side, found a pen, gritted her teeth, and took Lynn's hand again. She wrote her phone number on it quickly. It was another breath of relief when she let go. So much power. Goodness. 

Ash wasn't letting this mystery get away easily. Besides, Lynn seemed like she needed a good friend, and Ash was always the best at everything (according to her).