Shattered Stories

Bluest

Spoiler

Hi... It's been a while since I've been back on the website, so yeah. I already kind of made a RPG like this last year, but it hardly lasted a week, so let's see if it works out this time. So sorry if that breaks the rules or something, please tell me. As those who have been with me last time know, I don't actually know how RPGs work, so it will kind of be like writing a communal story with obvious limitations like no godmodding and stuff.

Now, this RPG is kind of like a twisted fairy tale of folklore kind of thing, so you come up with a character based on something like that. Please come in!!

Spoiler

Name: Ash Cantar

Fairy Tale inspiration: Cinderella's fairy godmother

Description: Having been raised with Cinderella's Prince (Prince Charles of Wisterian), Ash knows personally how much of a disaster royals can be, and has thus devoted herself to helping assorted royalty not mess up their kingdoms too badly. She has been personally assigned finding Charles's True Love *tm as her final exam to pass as a Fairy Godmother.

Ash tends to be sarcastic and very passive agressive. She will do everything she is expected to, but if she has a particular dislike of someone, she will need up their wish genie style. She basically has a constant mantra of "fight me" running in her head.

Spoiler

Drawing of Ash to be placed here later.

(Check in first spoiler for instructions and second one for character description)

Ash sighed internally. This was the last house she had to visit for today. Well, she said house. More accurate was a mansion or palace, but so were most of the other "houses" on this street.

She was here to royally and officially invite the noble families to the Prince's ball. It was her last ditch attempt to find Charles his True Love *tm, and she refused to fail. There was no way she was letting any girl get away. If she had any say over it, every girl in the kingdom would dance with Charles at his ball, and she knew that no self-respecting noble would deign come to a ball without a personal invitation.

Ash wasn't truly sure who lived in the house so, preparing herself for the worst, she closed her eyes, smoothed her trousers, drew in a deep breath, and pulled the cord to the doorbell.

Spoiler

Yeah, you can have the characters from last time.

Also, what do you mean by powerlimit, because you can't have full on gods or anything. I guess think about if this was the main character in a book. If you would be willing to write that book and come up with difficulties and opposition for that character, then sure. You can't just have a deus ex machina (and yes, I know that isn't the term I'm looking for, but it's the one I found) for every plot point. I guess, I don't really want more than one powerful sentience that just waits in the background, deflecting everyone who tries to attack them. If you think the other characters would all try a turn attaching you and you just stand there and take it, you're probably too powerful. I don't know. Use your own judgement. We just have to be able to write a plot around it.

Spoiler

@Ookla the very snazzy ,of course you can join!! Just put your character description down in a quote box and as your character into the story! Anyone with a character can join. I guess you could even without a character, but I think that would be a bit difficult. Interesting concept though.

Also, sorry for putting these things in spoiler boxes. I'll stop after this one.

Ash stood shivering out on the doorstep, waiting for someone to open the door or do something (anything really) to interact with her. She ring the doorbell again. Perhaps no one had heard her first attempt.

Sorry, accidentally pressed the quote box button and now I can't get rid of it. So I'll take this opportunity to day sorry because I feel this one is a bit rude, which is not really my intention, but this is the only way I feel I can get your attention again. Sorry.

Edited by Bluest

Ok, I've got plans now!

Reamas peered up at the sky. It was blue, with a few clouds floating about. He shook his head. Back home, the skies were almost always gray and it rained with predictable regularity. Then again, everything was different in the capital; the climate least among those differences. The police force here wasn’t entirely corrupt for one, or so he’d been told. Oh there was still crime, just not the overwhelming empires that ruled over Columbia City.

Though from what he’d seen, the police were incompetent if not corrupt, and Reamas and his team could avoid them with little effort. His ruminations broke off as the man next to him began to speak. 

“This is the street.” Sean nodded down the tree lined lane, with the massive houses on either side. “It’s crazy to think that people would actually want to live in these things.” 

Reamas nodded, gazing over the palaces. “Too much space. It’s such a waste. We could’ve probably bought one of these after the New Year’s job, but there’s no point. Spend your money on something of real value, or put it somewhere safe and spend it later. Which one is the house we want?” he asked, glancing at his red haired friend. 

Sean consulted a scrap of paper with an address on it. “This one here.” he pointed to an ornate house, unique but basically the same as all the others on the street. “Looks like there’s already someone at the door though.” 

Reamas nodded, straightening his suit coat. “You know, the problem with putting all these things together is that you remove all the individuality from them. Each one is unique, sure, but none of them stand out.”

The Ancient Forest. Midnight. A short figure makes its way through the maze of giant flora. Between its hands, it clutches an wooden object from which- if one looks closely- a flickering light can almost be made out. Unremarkable, to be sure. And yet, this figure clutches this object as though his life depends upon it.

There are many in the forest beyond who would kill to gain what he holds. Many who do. But luckily, there are none here for him tonight.

The figure shoots a quick, nervous glance over his shoulder before leaning down and tapping four times on the ground. Within seconds, grass and dirt bubble aside, forming an opening beneath him. With one last furtive glance, he drops through.

The hole seals up behind him, as though it had never been there, and the forest returns to silence.

Ash waited uncomfortably at the door and considered ringing the bell for a third time. No they probably weren't home. Still, families like this usually had at least one butler if not a full staff.

She turned around, wondering if she should just walk away. She could invite them tomorrow and she still had so much more to do to prepare for the ball... Just then she noticed two people in the street. That wasn't the odd part. This street, though not particularly busy, did have some traffic. No there was something wrong about these two, though Ash couldn't put the finger on it. They both stared at her, and didn't look away when she noticed them. Ash stared right back and walked over to the two figures. She stuck or her hand to the more authoritative-looking one and introduced herself. Ash was looking forward to solving this new mystery. Things have been so boring after she's had to devote herself to her final exam.

Reamas raised an eyebrow as the woman who’d been waiting at the door came up to them and stuck her hand out, introducing herself. He was surprised to say the least, and surprise quickly led to a mild suspicion. Could she know who they were? It’s not as if his team was unknown, in Columbia City, at least. But that was unlikely. 

He looked her up and down, picking her apart with his eyes. She had a somewhat posh look about her, though not one of actual royalty. Her stance was earnest, and if she had some ulterior motive other than curiosity, Reamas couldn’t tell what it was. 

“Excuse me for shaking your hand. It’s somewhat of a risky business, especially in Columbia City.” he began, noticing Sean had taken a more aggressive stance. Apparently his friend had read the girl differently. He motioned for him to stand down, and Sean relaxed. “You can call me Coyote.” Reamas continued, giving his animal name.

"Why hello, Coyote. My name is Ash," she said, giving him the same courtesy he had given her in only offering his first name. Not even his true name at that. Rude. Still, Ash wasn't willing to risk lying to him and his buddy. That feeling of wrongness spoke of power in his blood. Power she wasn't going to cross without a real reason. 

Ash wondered if Coyote could feel her as well, but she didn't think so. She wasn't nearly powerful enough to warrant attention. After all, she could hardly tell lies from the Truth, and even then she could only do the fundamentals (age, name, true desires and whatnot). She's was much better at transfiguration magic and nine out of ten times that had carried her through.

She should have payed more attention in that class.

Rumplestiltskin jumped back as a vehicle whizzed by. He took a deep, shaky breath. That had almost been it- he needed to be more careful.

Across the street, a light turned green. That means go... right?

He started making his way carefully across the street, swiveling his head back and forth like a nervous owl. He'd almost reached the other side when -out of nowhere- a vehicle crashed into him and knocked over. Furious, he got up.

"What was that?" he screamed at the driver. "You could have killed me! Were you even looking where you were going?"

The driver, a twenty-something man, reddened at the dwarf's words. He sneered. "Mind who you're speaking to, midget, or next time I won't stop."

In response, Rumpelstiltskin spat a curse- nothing specific, just a general ill-wishing. With a sudden bang, all four of the man's tires exploded.

Openmouthed, the man could only stare as the dwarf dusted himself off and walked away.

"Ash." Reamas immediately thought of the tree, which was a somewhat common namesake in Columbia City. Though he didn't think this particular Ash took her name from that. "So, do you have any particular reason why you wanted to talk to us, or are you just a generally friendly person?" Again he glanced at Sean, who seemed to see something he didn't. Reamas himself was a good bit better with people than anyone else on the team, besides maybe James. There was one thing though, Sean was adept at seeing, or rather feeling, magic within people. 

Understanding flashed across his face for a moment before he schooled it back to neutrality. So Ash had some skill with magic, then. Good to know. 

The coyote guy glanced at his red headed friend and an understanding seemed to pass between them. Ash didn't know exactly what had been shared but it must have been some information about herself because when Coyote looked back, wariness tainted his gaze, though he hid it. Ash's smile tightened and worry slid into her own gaze, and she knew she did not hide it half as well. 

"Well," she bluffed in answer to Coyote's question, "you two looked awfully lost... Who are you looking for? I know most of these streets, maybe I can help you?" She better know them. She had been studying maps of the city for weeks. Ash sucked at remembering directions, and she knew she had to get better at that.

So, is this a technology-ridden fantasy setting, because I have nothing against that, I just need to be sure. It would be cool to have magical creatures just working normal jobs like a Starbucks barista.

12 hours ago, Bluest said:

So, is this a technology-ridden fantasy setting, because I have nothing against that, I just need to be sure. It would be cool to have magical creatures just working normal jobs like a Starbucks barista.

As I imagine it, humans have begun to blend to blend technology with ancient forms of magic, while creatures of magic remain without technology.

Here goes nothing, (sorry if I get anyting wrong.)

Name: Lynn Stormwind

Inspiration: Evil Fairy from Sleeping Beauty.

Description: Lynn has been raised in the forest, far from civilization.  A young fairy, only 17, she is content to travel the world, to be alone and to not get in normal-humans way.  She isn't well-liked by fairy-kind, cursed at a young age to only give curses, no good-spells allowed by a witch.  

Looks: Raven-black hair with green, piercing eyes.  Has a permanent look of thoughtfulness on her face.  She has wings, raven-black huge wings, and can come off as intimadating.

Personality:  Has an issue with Claustraphobia, and large crowds.  She doesn't talk much, but if you dissagree with her, you'll regret it.  She warms up to people, but has been raised in that humans are infirior and is very prideful.

Is this OK with you? @Bluest

"I think we know where we're going." Reamas said flatly, nodding to the house they were standing in front of. They needed to speak to the owner, a noble that had recently gained quite a bit of influence here in the capital, thanks in no small part to funds provided by the Animal People. She owed them, and she would be an excellent resource, especially since she would be invited to the ball. 

"We've some business to discuss with the owner." Reamas explained, glancing up at the doors, "Is anyone actually there right now?" 

Advanced issues found

Here goes nothing, (sorry if I get anything wrong.)

Name: Lynn Stormwind

Inspiration: Evil Fairy from Sleeping Beauty.

Description: Lynn has been raised in the forest, far from civilization.  A young fairy, only 17, she is content to travel the world, to be alone and to not get in normal-humans way.  She isn't well-liked by fairy-kind, cursed at a young age to only give curses, no good-spells allowed by a witch.  

Looks: Raven-black hair with green, piercing eyes.  She has a permanent look of thoughtfulness on her face.  She has wings, raven-black huge wings, and can come off as intimidating.  Has a pet raven, Sky

Personality:  Has an issue with Claustrophobia, and large crowds.  She doesn't talk much, but if you disagree with her, you'll regret it.  She warms up to people, but has been raised in that humans are inferior and is very prideful.  Also plays the violin exceptionally well.

Is this OK? @Bluest

Edited by Ookla the very snazzy

Spoiler
Spoiler
On 2/8/2020 at 10:51 AM, xinoehp512 said:

Ignore this. I keep accidentally pressing these darn buttons... Also, @Ookla the very snazzy Lynn sounds like a wonderful addition to this game!

"No, I don't believe anyone is home," Ash replied. "I stood out here for forever and no one came. What buisness do you have with Lady Braithwope?"

Lady Braithwope had recently become very important in Capital society and politics. It was very suspicious that these two were wanting to speak to her. Did this mean that the Lady had magic to owe for her new influence? Interesting. Very interesting. 

Perhaps if Ash could prove something was afoot with the Braithwope's new financial gain, she could get out of inviting them to the ball. The two girls of the household were petty and manipulative, and deserved no chance at winning Charles's hand in marriage. Ash had a particular dislike of them, though she was quite fond of their half sister, Ella.

Ella was of a pretty sort, with blonde hair and green eyes. She was also kind hearted and an excellent cook, though her real passion lied in seeing. Ash had grown up with Ella as the only one Ash could find refuge in at the many balls and dinner parties she had to go to (besides Charles, but he was always to busy for her). However, Ella's father had remarried, and Ella's presence anywhere had stopped. Ash had even tried to see her at her own home, but was quickly turned away. It was odd and worrying.

One of the only reasons Ash had mustered up the motivation to go out and meet with the Braithwopes was to see if Ella was there. Pity. Ash would always try again though. She wasn't one to give up easily on a friend.

Lynn was flying over the richer part of the city, laughing as Sky tried to dive bomb her.  She landed next to the last house, no house wasn't the word, mansion.  She saw one of her kind, shying away, faeries didn't typically like her. @Bluest

Edited by Ookla the very snazzy

Before she could get an answer out of Coyote, Ash felt the wrongness again. Someone powerful had approached. It was discombobulating to be this close to two opposing powers. She looked around, trying to see who it was. It wasn't very hard, seeing as almost no one was out and about on this street.

There! At the end of the line of houses, not far from where Ash stood, was a dark figure with enormous raven wings. Danger rolled off her in waves. To be honest, it was really intimidating. Ash shrank back and had to stop herself from hissing. Hissing! She had never done something like that before. What was wrong with her? It was just another person, a fairy likely. One that hadn't learned or perhaps chose to not hide her wings. How odd. 

Ash herself had wings, being a fairy. Hers were not as impressive as the strange figure's though. When she allowed them to, copper lacy dragonfly wings sprouted from her back. That was part of the reason she had cut her dirty blonde hair into a neat bob. It was much easier to fly without hair imposing her wings. But she almost never let them out. It was rude in society and crowded walking around with wings. Not to mention awfully inconvenient to let go of the advantage of secret magic.

Ash was almost ready to abandon Coyote and walk over to the new girl, but she hasn't gotten all the answers from him that she wanted. Ash turned her attention reluctantly back to Coyote and acted as if nothing had happened.

“No one home, eh?” Reamas grinned, glancing up at the sky almost lazily. Whoever that had been, they’d been powerful enough that even he could feel their presence without looking. The figure landed, and Reamas squinted, making out a young girl with raven hair. Instinctively, he reached for the handgun tucked into his waistband, but stopped before actually pulling it out. It would work better as an element of surprise, since she was a fae of some kind. Slowly, he dropped his hand back to his side, glancing at Sean and nodding once. If it came to a fight, his friend was ready. 

The two of them were both rather adept with their magic, growing up as they had in Columbia city, where bonding an spirit of some kind was basically a rite of passage when one came of age. Best to do it when young, or so the philosophy went, that way the human could adapt to the change and eventually master the spirit. Everyone on Reamas’s team had mastered theirs, even Brandon, who’d bonded his only a few years ago. Reamas turned his attention back to Ash, looking as relaxed as ever. 

“Yes, she owes us a... debt of sorts, and we’re here to collect on it.” Reamas paused for a moment, picking out a couple more things to reveal, “Perhaps it’s more of a favor than a debt. Our organization supported her in several financial ventures, and now we need some things done. Things that only one of her... status could do.”