The Pattern of Radiant Oaths Theory(also a list of the 9 theories I made from it)

Karger

3 hours ago, Karger said:

I don't believe in perfect understanding.  The world's greatest experts on morality still learn new things or how to consider new situations.  As such I do not think anyone would actually achieve the 5th ideal if that was true.

You don't have to understand everything. You have to understand your choices or ways. Like Szeth, should he swear the 5th ideal, will need to understand why he picked Dalinar and chose to cleanse Shinovar. And then he would need to act as Dalinar and his crusade would require him to act even without their explicit guidance.

However, I would caution to reason based on one example extending to the other orders. For all we know the underlying principle behind 5th ideal could be as simple as: Understand the reason behind the ideals and act accordingly.

• 1 month later...
On 2/7/2020 at 3:36 PM, Oltux72 said:

However, I would caution to reason based on one example extending to the other orders. For all we know the underlying principle behind 5th ideal could be as simple as: Understand the reason behind the ideals and act accordingly.

That is essentially what I have been trying to get at but a much better way of putting it.

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, animalia said:

For fourth ideal of Windrunners, how about "Be a hero to the one you can save"?

That could be it although my pattern suggests otherwise.  Also wouldn't have Kaladin have already sworn that?

2 hours ago, Karger said:

That could be it although my pattern suggests otherwise.  Also wouldn't have Kaladin have already sworn that?

Not if he thinks it’s along the lines of “I will accept I cannot save them all” while they are technically the same thing the feeling of it is different. It would make a big deal, ESPECIALLY to Kaladin.

On 6/19/2020 at 7:50 PM, animalia said:

Not if he thinks it’s along the lines of “I will accept I cannot save them all” while they are technically the same thing the feeling of it is different. It would make a big deal, ESPECIALLY to Kaladin.

Well reasoned.

• 3 weeks later...

@Karger Since we have new information about the orders of Knights Radiant, and a way of "sorting" ourselves into them, we should have members of each order review the Oaths as you present them, all in the framework of your pattern of oaths. Having people whose mindset aligns with the order talk about the Oaths will help shed a little bit more light about how the orders think and what they would want to do.

I've taken the liberty of applying my Truthwatcher views to the Truthwatcher ideals already, anyone else onboard?

On 6/19/2020 at 5:50 PM, animalia said:

I completely agree. However, the last Ideal ended with "so long that it is right." I think it's logical to assume that the next Ideal would show what is right or why it is. In the end, I believe that the Fifth Ideal of the Windrunners will be "I will protect." He wouldn't need a reason to protect anyone. 

Edited by Ascendance

32 minutes ago, rosin_the_beau said:

@Karger Since we have new information about the orders of Knights Radiant, and a way of "sorting" ourselves into them, we should have members of each order review the Oaths as you present them, all in the framework of your pattern of oaths. Having people whose mindset aligns with the order talk about the Oaths will help shed a little bit more light about how the orders think and what they would want to do.

I've taken the liberty of applying my Truthwatcher views to the Truthwatcher ideals already, anyone else onboard?

If you can find reps from the other nine I will be open to them.  I enjoyed your work on Truthwatchers.

5 hours ago, Karger said:

If you can find reps from the other nine I will be open to them.  I enjoyed your work on Truthwatchers.

I could help with the Skybreakers, although since we already know their oaths, I'm not sure what you'd want me to talk about specifically.

41 minutes ago, ChickenLiberty said:

I could help with the Skybreakers, although since we already know their oaths, I'm not sure what you'd want me to talk about specifically.

Say what you think is important.