God metal theory

wildcard09

Firstly, In way of Kings Hoid asked Dalinar if he's ever heard of Adonalsium. Hoid then mentions that it's gibberish, and that if he was torn to pieces and put back together to give him a gibberish name.

Hoid was basically describing a anagram and sure enough,  makes Aluminados.

And then we have the god metals that get their names from the shard holder.

Atium - Ati 

Lerasium - Leras

Harmonium - Harmony( although this should be Sazedium for my theory to be better)

Aluminum - Aluminados

I wonder if that is the reason why aluminum has such a weird effect on the cosmere, and that would be a convenient True name for Adonalsium pre shattering.

just a theory, what do you think?

42 minutes ago, Aluminum said:

Interesting Idea. There might be WOBs against this though.

Username checks out :P

Agreed. I could double-check though.

Also it would just be weird for the god metal of the original "god" of the cosmere to be a real-life metal, instead of a solid manifestation of their Investiture. Atium doesn't have a real-life counterpart. It's basically an "extra" platinum-group metal (according to wob, it's like a platinum group metal), that doesn't fit on the periodic table because it's made of Investiture and not baryons and electrons.

...but then you can still ALLOY IT. WITH REAL METALS. HECK. ...Now I'm just more confused. >:(

And do we know that Dragonsteel isn't Aluminium?

Here are WoBs:

mraize7

Is Adonalsium a kind of godmetal to the 'real Adonalsium being'

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 26, 2018)

XMikethetrikeX

Is aluminum the godmetal of Adonalsium?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 4, 2018)

Volratho

Did Adonalsium have a god metal?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Skyward Chicago signing (Nov. 16, 2018)

Edited by GoWibble

11 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

And do we know that Dragonsteel isn't Aluminium?

Here are WoBs:

They're all RAFOs so they don't really say anything?

In the released Dragonsteel chapters, Dragonsteel is semi-liquid. When someone touches it, it becomes what they desire, and that shape is then permanent and incredibly hard, nearly indestructible. None of that matches how aluminum behaves.

4 hours ago, RShara said:

They're all RAFOs so they don't really say anything?

In the released Dragonsteel chapters, Dragonsteel is semi-liquid. When someone touches it, it becomes what they desire, and that shape is then permanent and incredibly hard, nearly indestructible. None of that matches how aluminum behaves.

What, are you questioning whether or not I changed the WoBs to say RaFO? Well, you are right to do so. I wouldn't trust myself either. I didn't, though. Those were the #god_metals tag with Adonalsium mentioned in it

10 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

What, are you questioning whether or not I changed the WoBs to say RaFO? Well, you are right to do so. I wouldn't trust myself either. I didn't, though. Those were the #god_metals tag with Adonalsium mentioned in it

No, I was just pointing out that RAFO doesn't tell us anything.

Questioner
How do you make up names and words for your fantasy settings?

Brandon Sanderson
Mostly, I choose an earth culture (or two) to base my linguistic influences on. For instance, in the Mistborn books, I used French. It's obvious in words like Fellise, Renoux, Blanches, Delouse and Demoux. Less obvious is Kelsier, whose name would be pronounced in-world without the last R sound.

Questioner
Do you think you'll ever develop a language like Tolkien did?

Brandon Sanderson
Maybe. I did a lot of that in White Sand, which didn’t get published. I’ll do more for other books.

Questioner
Do you use Hebrew words?

Brandon Sanderson
The name Adonalsium is derived from a Hebrew name for God, Adonai and Aharietiam was derived from the Hebrew/Jewish term for the end of days acharit hayamim or אחרית הימים

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/309/#e10401

grampipon
Is Adonalsium taken from the Hebrew words for God, Adonai?

Brandon Sanderson
It is.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/183/#e3914

I think in light of these two WoBs, the Aluminados idea is not highly likely to be true. It seems to me to be working backward from Aluminum to Adonalsium, which requires the theory to be true to be valid. Interesting thoughts, though.

@wildcard09

Edited by 18th Shard
Added tag, edited thoughts slightly.

7 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

I think in light of these two WoBs, the Aluminados idea is not highly likely to be true. It seems to me to be working backward from Aluminum to Adonalsium, which requires the theory to be true to be valid. Interesting thoughts, though.

Remember, harmonium. Maybe  @wildcard09s idea of harmonium being irritating to the theory is false.

4 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Remember, harmonium. Maybe  @wildcard09s idea of harmonium being irritating to the theory is false.

I am honestly entirely unsure what you mean by this. The WoBs I quoted clearly demonstrate that, from Brandon Sanderson's perspective, Adonalsium came from Adonai, the Hebrew word for Lord. As far Harmonium, well, there is a WoB stating the reason it is different:

youshallnotpass
Will there be a metal called harmonium in the mistborn world?

Brandon Sanderson
RAFO. But good question.

WeiryWriter
Just an fyi but you have confirmed the existence of harmonium before. (And this is probably a RAFO, but is there a reason you didn't follow the convention of the other "god metals" and call it something like sazedium? "Harmonium" just seems out of place.)

Brandon Sanderson
Sazed didn't like the sound of Sazedium.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/100/#e3539

I don't know why Adonalsium would have been called "Aluminados", had a metal associated with him called Aluminum, and then at the Shattering suddenly begin to be called Adonalsium - it's rare enough for people to know Adonalsium that there isn't really a reason for some secret name cover-up or anything.

Personally, I think the OP is just a nice coincidence. Those do happen.

5 hours ago, 18th Shard said:

I am honestly entirely unsure what you mean by this. 

Normally god metals are called a name based off of the name of the vessel of the shard, but maybe that was just on scaldrial. It could be that ati created atium and leras decided that was a good idea. Then this “trell” came along and thought it would be funny if he did the same. 

Or Adonalsium doesn’t want to have his name as a metal, like Sazed. I have a feeling Adonalsium is just like preservation or autonomy: just a name for the shard. 

We also do not know if Adonalsium is a shard with a vessel or a super creature and the shards are just broken off splinters just like our friend from WoR:

Spoiler

The stormfather

With any of these options, Adonai could be a root within aluminum.

but aluminum is also a name of a metal normally, like the other 16 metals, but maybe that’s what makes the disguise so elaborate.

16 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Normally god metals are called a name based off of the name of the vessel of the shard, but maybe that was just on scaldrial. It could be that ati created atium and leras decided that was a good idea. Then this “trell” came along and thought it would be funny if he did the same. 

Or Adonalsium doesn’t want to have his name as a metal, like Sazed. I have a feeling Adonalsium is just like preservation or autonomy: just a name for the shard. 

We also do not know if Adonalsium is a shard with a vessel or a super creature and the shards are just broken off splinters just like our friend from WoR:

Hide contents

The stormfather

With any of these options, Adonai could be a root within aluminum.

but aluminum is also a name of a metal normally, like the other 16 metals, but maybe that’s what makes the disguise so elaborate.

Well, Sanderson himself has referenced a hypothetical "Tanavastium" (and also here - between the two, the questioner also mentioned raysium and edglium as example god metal names) and trellium is a name created by the fan base (though Sanderson approved us using it). 

But based entirely off of canonical, in-book appearances, plus WoB as ancillary evidence, we have exactly three data points - atium, harmonium, and lerasium - and several potential data points in tanavastium, raysium, edglium, and trellium. Sanderson himself explained why ettmetal is an outlier in that group, and the remainder don't break the pattern. Hypothesizing a theoretical outlier to this trend is essentially unfounded. Occam's razor would lead us to believe that this simply isn't the case.

I fail to see how Adonalsium's nature is relevant to the question - in either case, it's a convoluted train of logic at best leading to Aluminum.

I am completely okay with you deciding on your own head canon, but to me, it just doesn't make sense in light of what we know. Sorry.

• Chaos locked this topic