Quick Fix 42: Alcatraz vs. the Watakotse Infiltration

Elandera

Cycle One: Gack!

I’d like to take this opportunity to point out something important. Should a stranger on the internet suggest you join a seemingly harmless game of forum mafia, you should flatly refuse them. Don’t take the spec doc either.

If you do, it will lead you to fighting a war in a strange place that Librarians will tell you is just pure fantasy. It will make you paranoid, wondering who among you is a traitor or spy. You will stay up too late or wake up too early, wondering about who will die next or if you survived the night.

Really, it’s just not good for your sleeping schedule. Why do you think I put rollover so late at night? Because torture is fun.

Quick Fix 42 begins! You should all have received your role/lenses in a PM.

PMs are open, be sure to include me. I ask that you please stop all PMs between cycles, for mechanics reasons.

Remember, QFs go quickly. This turn ends in approximately 23-24 hours, closing at 11 p.m. Tuesday Night, January 28th.

Player List

Spoiler
  1. @Elkanah - Larry Lifehack
  2. @Kynedath - Robben Peters
  3. @The_God_King
  4. @StrikerEZ
  5. @CadCom - Azkaban Smedry
  6. @Feruchemical Skybreaker
  7. @ZillahElmina Château
  8. @KidpenRoychive Notalibrary
  9. @Rathmaskal
  10. @Devotary of Spontaneity - Dr. Sader the Inoculator
  11. @Butt Ad VentureAlberga Hatm
  12. @DeTess

Right, time to figure out what I've gotten myself into, ruleswise XD

lenses

• Courier’s lenses: These could be very interesting, depending on the exact mechanics. @Elandera, if this lens is passed,  a new PM created, or are people added and/or removed from it? If the second one, people can see the entire contents of the PM once they get it, and since lenses pass on death, it could be pretty useful to leave a 'will' of sorts in your lens PM
  • Disguiser’s Lenses: Heh, this one is pretty interesting as well. It's a protection, but with a risk. As it only self-targets, there's not much I can suggest regarding it's use. @Elandera, does the effect of this lens include the lynch?
  • Oculator’s Lenses: Could be useful as a pseudo-scan. Assuming one can only use one action each turn ( @Elandera?), if you see someone using a lens, it means that they didn't submit the kill.
  • Shaper’s Lenses: @Elandera, is someone's alignment included in their role?
  • Tracker’s Lenses: A more accurate version of the info you could get from an oculator's lens.
  • Translator’s Lenses: Something something PM Safety! something something
  • Truthfinder’s Lenses: This is a pretty interesting one. It's also one we could break somewhat by having everyone make a one-line post stating their alignment and nothing else. I suggest we don't, just to keep things fun.
  • Windstormer’s Lenses: @Elandera, does 'dropping' mean that it passes to a random player, or does it mean it is lost?
  • Voidstormer’s Lenses: Same question as with the windstormer's lense

village roles

• Alcatraz Smedry: An interesting ability. I would use this one with care, as you don't want to strip a villager of something like a tracker's lense.
  • Grandpa Smedry: A nice survival based role, and assuming that it is differentiated in the write-up, it confirms the owner of the role as village. Whoever has this should make sure to speak up and participate to get the maximum use out of their not-dying ability.
  • Aydee: If Shaper's lenses are alignment-scans, then I'd double these first, followed by tracker's lenses.
  • Bastille: The warrior's lenses are interesting, as it guarantees a successful defense if one of Alcatraz or grandpa is attacked. otherwise, this is a fairly standard, though allways useful defense role.

Elim roles

• Dark Oculator: Roleblocking a player three times per game is somewhat useful. Not much here that needs commenting.
  • Order of the Shattered Lens: @Elandera, is this role unique, or could there be more than one? This role is a mirror of Alcatraz's ability, but if there's only one and they get lynched, it means Alcatraz could prove their role if they have to.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on the roles so far. Oh, and could my RP identity be that of Sam, a bespectacled Meerkat?

Alberga Hatm began waking up. Last night was a nightmare. She was sailing toward Japan from California in order to count the number of animals she found to extrapolate the number of fish in the world. It was a very respectable task, one that required the utmost honor and nobility and skill with numbers. And she was the Mathmatition for the job. And now....she had found an undiscovered island, a continent even! A continent....filled with people...

And now, weeks later, having learned...stuff. She was more than lost. This world made no sense. People flew in glass! They talked through glass! They could...could....glass with their glass! She didn’t know all they could do! And the librarians...the librarians. She needed to survive, they were apparently hunting her down. They wanted to...take her out. Well...they couldn’t do that until she got a full head count of this continent, she still had a job to do after all.

~  ~  ~

Ok! Hello everyone! Welcome to Alcatraz! Or...um...the game about him. Still.

There’s an activity filter, so I’d like to get some people to post. And we need a good start C1. As usual, no C1 vote from me, lest we lynch someone unnecessarily.

I want to take a look at the Smedry powers:

• Alcatraz: Hmm....end-negative. Let’s hope it benefits us...but I doubt it.
  • Grandpa: It’s incredibly useful. When one discovers crucial information and dies? Grandpa will be immune to that unfortunate circumstance. And also, if grandpa decides to roleclaim, give him your shapers/trackers lenses.
  • Aydee: Useful, just so so useful. Being able to make more lenses for the village. Is there a chance that the lenses created will be given to the Elims?
  • Bastille: Her ability is a useful one. Able to use the protect action, but have it redirected once? Extremely useful.

On principle I don't like to lynch day 1, even though I recognize the need for it. Especially in a game this small and fast. We need information asap.

I don't feel like extensive study of the lenses and roles will help overly much, there isn't enough time to go in depth for every ability. I would rather be looking at what people post than trying to definitively get strategies for how to use the various lenses. In the end most people will end up using their lenses how they want to and every new cycle will be a chaotic jumble of new information no matter how carefully we analyze optimal strategies.

Open PMs are useful, but I've never really been sure how to use PMs properly in any SE game. I am wholly open to anyone who wants to PM me doing so, I welcome interaction with open arms!

4 hours ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

There’s an activity filter, so I’d like to get some people to post. And we need a good start C1. As usual, no C1 vote from me, lest we lynch someone unnecessarily.

How does you not voting prevent that though? There will be a D1 lynch, and the fewer villagers voting in it, the less likely we'll hit an elim. So in a way, by not voting, you're increasing the chance of an innocent getting lynched, not decreasing it.

And yes, I realize that after such an exhortation to vote I really should put a vote down. But only 3 people have spoken up so far, so there isn't anything resembling a case to be made yet. I'll be waking up around turnover, so I'll make certain to put a vote in before I go to bed, but I'd like it if everyone else could at the very least check in sometime soon.

Well then, I will break the combo here and say I will be getting a vote down D1.

1 hour ago, Kynedath said:

I don't feel like extensive study of the lenses and roles will help overly much, there isn't enough time to go in depth for every ability. I would rather be looking at what people post than trying to definitively get strategies for how to use the various lenses. In the end most people will end up using their lenses how they want to and every new cycle will be a chaotic jumble of new information no matter how carefully we analyze optimal strategies.

Fair to some degree...I think it's at least mildly useful to get some role analysis out early.  I know there have been times when I've looked at the roles and thought, "Aha!  This is broken, I can win easily!" and I've been pointed out to be oh so wrong.  (It's almost as if people put in effort to make sure that the teams are balanced?!) 

12 players probably means 3 elims?

Quick follow up on Alcatraz ability.  If he targets someone with a Courier's lens, does the PM just end?  Or can the remaining person pass the lens around to other people still?  (If the PM just has players added and removed, this could still be quite useful...)

9 hours ago, Elandera said:

This turn ends in approximately 23-24 hours, closing at 11 p.m. Tuesday Night, January 28th.

11pm in which time zone?

6 minutes ago, Rathmaskal said:

12 players probably means 3 elims?

11pm in which time zone?

Yeah, 3 would put it at 25%, 4 is 33%, 2 is 16.67%. three seems like a reasonable assumption.

11 PM PST. Or 0700 Zulu (GMT) if you want to get fancy.

Hello Everyone! I'm so stoked for this game! Is that a lie???

I'm'a give my two cents here with DeTess and Venture.

lenses

• Courier’s lenses: I second this question. How will passing work. PAFO is entirely acceptable.
  • Disguiser’s Lenses: As I understand this only applies to the elim kill. That being the case you should try to look like the person you think is the most likely to be an elim. If you're wrong you're just as likely to be dead as before, but if you're right, the elims have to kill one of their own to get at you. This will be most important at lylo.
  • Oculator’s Lenses: The rules say each player has only one action, so barring inactivity, whoever uses this lense has a one in twelve shot of finding the killer to start the game. More like one in eleven unless they are likely to target the lynch target, but semantics 
  • Shaper’s Lenses: Given the different teams have different roles available to them, I would assume we will be able to determine what team people are on based on their role. I am a son of honor windrunner 
  • Tracker’s Lenses: This one really excites me. I know learning people's roles gives us their alignment and therefore allows us to solve the game, but I want to be able to use every lense this game. We'll see how many I can collect! This is the part where I die day 1.
  • Translator’s Lenses: :ph34r:
  • Truthfinder’s Lenses: I am not an elim :ph34r: I am a librarian.
  • Windstormer’s Lenses: Good Question, and seconded
  • Voidstormer’s Lenses: Also same. Can someone give me one of these. This seems perfect for my goal.

village roles

• Alcatraz Smedry: I'm trying to find a way this role is useful. Maybe late game, but who knows. @Elandera, are you notified if you successfully broke a lense and what it was? PAFO is still valid 
  • Grandpa Smedry: An interesting role I'm not sure if it made it into a game this size. I guess try not to get lynched? Oh wait, that doesn't work either. Hmm, you may just be a god :P 
  • Aydee: I second the Shaper's, Tracker's and maybe Truthfinder's lenses. Voidstormer's is good too!
  • Bastille: Wow, the bodyguard got a makeover! Not only can she protect someone every cycle, but the first target that isn't her is an instant protect!  I think this is the most powerful effect we have been given because gramps only has half a chance of surviving. Do what it takes to survive to the late game and we have as much power as the elims in deciding who lives and dies.

Elim roles

• Dark Oculator: Feels kinda nerfed. It takes two turns to get a roleblock and is extra susceptible to the Shaper and Tracker since no one else can roleblock or create a Codexian 
  • Order of the Shattered Lens: @Elandera Does this action look like a Smedry to the Tracker or is it differentialble? I admit that makes the tracker less useful if that is the case.

To get another thing out of the way: I need vote for Kynedath Kynedath and Venture Venture For not voting. 

Done and done.

Most importantly: Welcome @The_God_King @Zillah and @Feruchemical Skybreaker I look forward to stabbing you in the back playing with you ;) 

Drat, three ninjas

Edited by Elkanah
formatting

44 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Bastille: Wow, the bodyguard got a makeover! Not only can she protect someone every cycle, but the first target that isn't her is an instant protect!  I think this is the most powerful effect we have been given because gramps only has half a chance of surviving. Do what it takes to survive to the late game and we have as much power as the elims in deciding who lives and dies.

My understanding is that Bastille only protects either Alcatraz or Grandpa because in the rules it says she protect a smedry, not just any free kingdomer. @Elandera is it just a smedry or any villager that Bastille protects?

11 minutes ago, Kynedath said:

My understanding is that Bastille only protects either Alcatraz or Grandpa because in the rules it says she protect a smedry, not just any free kingdomer. @Elandera is it just a smedry or any villager that Bastille protects?

That's totally fair, but I'm guessing we only have one Aydee and we are guaranteed in the rules only one Bastille. Since the elims won't target themselves they have about a two in nine shot of hitting a non-smedry... which seems higher now that I write that down. If the Bastille finds the Aydee, we have a pretty good shot of not loosing anyone this cycle. Until we all find out that every villager is an Aydee!

9 hours ago, DeTess said:
  • Courier’s lenses: These could be very interesting, depending on the exact mechanics. @Elandera, if this lens is passed,  a new PM created, or are people added and/or removed from it? If the second one, people can see the entire contents of the PM once they get it, and since lenses pass on death, it could be pretty useful to leave a 'will' of sorts in your lens PM
  • Disguiser’s Lenses: Heh, this one is pretty interesting as well. It's a protection, but with a risk. As it only self-targets, there's not much I can suggest regarding it's use. @Elandera, does the effect of this lens include the lynch?
  • Oculator’s Lenses: Could be useful as a pseudo-scan. Assuming one can only use one action each turn ( @Elandera?), if you see someone using a lens, it means that they didn't submit the kill.
  • Shaper’s Lenses: @Elandera, is someone's alignment included in their role?
  • Windstormer’s Lenses: @Elandera, does 'dropping' mean that it passes to a random player, or does it mean it is lost?
  • Voidstormer’s Lenses: Same question as with the windstormer's lense
  • Order of the Shattered Lens: @Elandera, is this role unique, or could there be more than one? This role is a mirror of Alcatraz's ability, but if there's only one and they get lynched, it means Alcatraz could prove their role if they have to.

Courier's: PMs get passed directly to the new person, so if person A dies, and their lenses go to person B, A will be removed and B will be added. The same goes for if they pass the lenses without dying.

Disguiser's: It does not include the lynch, just the kill.

Correct, one action per player per turn.

Shaper's: PAFO

Spoiler

PAFO(1).thumb.png.458e9421ca784307c9f181a6e60c3e94.png

Windstormer's: Dropping the lens is the same as when a player dies. It will be passed to another player at random.

Shattered Lens: PAFO (see above spoiler)

3 hours ago, Rathmaskal said:

11pm in which time zone?

The only time zone that matters. PST.

3 hours ago, Elkanah said:

Alcatraz Smedry: I'm trying to find a way this role is useful. Maybe late game, but who knows. @Elandera, are you notified if you successfully broke a lense and what it was?

Order of the Shattered Lens: @Elandera Does this action look like a Smedry to the Tracker or is it differentialble? I admit that makes the tracker less useful if that is the case.

Anyone who takes an action will be notified if their action was successful or not, meaning if they were roleblocked or not. Not necessarily if their action succeeded in doing anything. Alcatraz will not be told what kind of lens was broken.

PAFO (See above spoiler)

2 hours ago, Kynedath said:

It will apply to any Smedry role (Grandpa, Alcatraz, or Aydee as they are all Smedrys).

4 hours ago, Rathmaskal said:

Quick follow up on Alcatraz ability.  If he targets someone with a Courier's lens, does the PM just end?  Or can the remaining person pass the lens around to other people still?  (If the PM just has players added and removed, this could still be quite useful...)

@Elandera - was this a PAFO as well?

And just to see if we can get some conversation going...  CadCom @CadCom how's it going?

4 minutes ago, Elandera said:

It will apply to any Smedry role (Grandpa, Alcatraz, or Aydee as they are all Smedrys).

Cool, that's better than I thought! So there's two ways you can use this Bastille. 1 You can attempt to predict the elim target. If you succeed we keep your super special lenses for another cycle. The downside is you could be attacked and protection will not divert to you as a Knight of Crystalia. 2 you could protect yourself which gives us a completely free cycle... in which case, do we want a lynch? I see no downside to this course of action (the protect Bastille, not the no lynch).

Also I have changed my mind on which lenses to double. I recommend doubling the warrior's lenses immediately. If we don't do it now, we might not have the chance.

23 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

I just realized no one has voted for StrikerEZ yet! @StrikerEZ, does that mean you are evil this game?

Argh, you beat me to it. Now I need to find an actual lynch target rather than going for the copout fallback.

3 minutes ago, Elkanah said:

Cool, that's better than I thought! So there's two ways you can use this Bastille. 1 You can attempt to predict the elim target. If you succeed we keep your super special lenses for another cycle. The downside is you could be attacked and protection will not divert to you as a Knight of Crystalia. 2 you could protect yourself which gives us a completely free cycle... in which case, do we want a lynch? I see no downside to this course of action (the protect Bastille, not the no lynch).

I still don't see how that gets us a free cycle, as there's plenty of non-smedry villagers (if all named roles are included, then there are still 5 non-smedry non-bastille villagers at least).

Also I have changed my mind on which lenses to double. I recommend doubling the warrior's lenses immediately. If we don't do it now, we might not have the chance.

Warrior's lenses only do something for bastille, and the extra lenses are distributed randomly, so this doesn't do anything.

Edited by DeTess

2 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Warrior's lenses only do something for bastille, and the extra lenses are distributed randomly, so this doesn't do anything.

Actually, do we know that?  @Elandera, sorry to keep bombarding you with questions - can anyone else get a benefit out of warrior's lenses?  The rules just say what they do when Bastille holds them.

1 minute ago, Rathmaskal said:

Actually, do we know that?  @Elandera, sorry to keep bombarding you with questions - can anyone else get a benefit out of warrior's lenses?  The rules just say what they do when Bastille holds them.

Warrior's lenses don't technically exist in regards to the rest of the rules in the game. They work only for Bastille, and cannot be targeted by other lenses/abilities.

14 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Argh, you beat me to it. Now I need to find an actual lynch target rather than going for the copout fallback.

:ph34r:

I still don't see how that gets us a free cycle, as there's plenty of non-smedry villagers (if all named roles are included, then there are still 5 non-smedry non-bastille villagers at least).

Wait... who are the non-smedry villagers? I may have totally missed something here :wacko:

While it's true the lenses can only be used by Bastille, we can have a guaranteed protect on cycle one and cycle three by passing the lens we have created on cycle two. The only miss is if the librarians receive the warrior lens. They aren't likely to pass a protect back to the village, and anyone can claim they didn't receive it because the other eleven of us didn't. If we kill them, though, the lens goes back into circulation and we get a much needed protect on cycle 6.

Edit: Well... scratch all of this :P 

Edited by Elkanah
ninja'd by rule clarification