Bands of Mourning Ending

StealthPrincess

Update: still annoyed with Harmony, but it's different this time. I'm less upset and more indifferent (I do understand his logic, and I definitely agree with hos logic, but he still interferes too much for a God who says he won't).

On a different note, this has been the best book in Era 2 in my opinion and here's a list of why:

• Wayne letting go of Ranette (and asking inappropriate questions while doing so)
  • Marasi walking into Wax and Steris passionately competing over house ledgers 
  • Wayne and MeLaan being cheeky on the train while the rest of the train is being ROBBED 
  • Marasi being jealous of said cheekiness 
  • Hoid being Hoid
  • Khriss being Khriss 
  • Wax going from lawkeeper to outlaw 
  • Wayne old shaming Wax 
  • Wayne in general (I NEED him to become a worldhopper, imagine all the mischief)
  • Hints of the civilisations outside Elendel and the Basin 
  • All their advanced technology 
  • Kelsier being Kelsier 
  • Allik calling Marasi the cute one and Wax the Metabolic One (etc, etc)
  • Wayne again (he may be my favourite ever)
  • Wayne and MeLaan
  • Badass Wayne 
  • Both Marasi and Wax not letting the power of the Bands of Mourning consume them
  • A darker side of Wax?
  • Marasi and Allik
  • Wax and Steris 

I also desperately want the fourth book. I am the most excited to find out more about the interaction with the outside cultures. 

Sorry, but where exactly do you think Harmony is intervening too much? Because this whole saga is about another god invading your domain, distorting your magic system and corrupting your sacred servants. It would be strange if he looked at all this and thought "solve the problem if you can, if not the planet that is destroyed". As he said, he is just avoiding the worst. If it seems that he is intervening so much, it is because we are seeing events through an elite group that he uses to prevent the end of the world.

1 hour ago, StealthPrincess said:

On a different note, this has been the best book in Era 2 in my opinion and here's a list of why:

I agree with all of them.  Here are a few that I think you might have missed(my personal favorites). 

• Steris's reading material.
  • Streis trying to help Wax.
  • Steris making lists of all the things they need.
  • Wayne throwing nuts at that old Kandra
  • Steris's handbag which now contains earplugs and extra steal in cod liver oil
  • The scene with Wax and Steris where she takes out the gun tied to her leg.
  • Wayne being offended by Marasi cheating by showing credentials.

As you can tell I am a huge Steris fan.

@StealthPrincess sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I suppose this could change but I suspect that it wont (Wayne has "I die at the end of the series" written all over him...).

Questioner

Wayne from the Wax and Wayne, worldhopper? 

Brandon Sanderson

Wayne is not a worldhopper.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Edited by The Sovereign

I agree @StealthPrincess that I liked BoM best of the era 2 books as well. There are many reasons for that. 
I liked that suddenly the events that are happening and Set’s plans got cosmere wide ramifications in this book. Stakes got very high very fast. 
I loved the reveal of the red mist in the end also. 
I loved the idea of medallions and how magic is being used by the southerners for technology purposes ( I read stormlight after this, so it was a new concept for me and it blew my mind)

I loved the reveal that there are other continents and other civilisations out there! But I can not believe that Harmony so ignored them and left them to their devices!! How? Why? He is god of the whole planet, is he not? 
Kelsier!! 
I loved each and every scene between Steris and Wax. I absolutely fell in love with Steris in this book. She is awesome!!

I loved Marasi in this book and I like the possibility of Allik and Marasi. For some reason, since we don’t have much of him, but I instantly liked Allik!! 
I always like Wayne in these books. 
And I can not wait for the next book. Because I want to know where it is all going to lead. And I want to know if and how, this first contact with southerners is going to change things in Elendel Basin. 
I also hope we get to visit this new continent!!

1 hour ago, The Traveller said:

I loved the reveal that there are other continents and other civilisations out there! But I can not believe that Harmony so ignored them and left them to their devices!! How? Why? He is god of the whole planet, is he not? 

At the moment of ascention he did not know about them yet.  Afterward he could only do so much to help them.  Remember that the simplest of actions prove difficult for him.

I loved each and every scene between Steris and Wax. I absolutely fell in love with Steris in this book. She is awesome!!

High five!

I loved Marasi in this book and I like the possibility of Allik and Marasi. For some reason, since we don’t have much of him, but I instantly liked Allik!! 

Agreed.

2 hours ago, Karger said:

I agree with all of them.  Here are a few that I think you might have missed(my personal favorites). 

• Steris making lists of all the things they need
  • The scene with Wax and Steris where she takes out the gun tied to her leg

Same here, my friend. I loved absolutely everything Steris in this book. 
• Steris and Wax going over house finances 

• Steris and her usefulness 7/100

• Steris when she gave the list of possible accidents to the hotel lady, hilarious. I also loved when she was already packed! 
• Steris and how she is so excited when Wax takes her flying!!

11 minutes ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Wayne's quest to find a suitable gift for Ranette is one of my all-time favorite scenes. Wayne being Wayne is just a pleasure to read, since he's just goofy and leaves chaos in his wake wherever he goes. 

It is a shame he does not take all the parking tickets in my neighborhood.

I just finished re-reading :D - here's a couple more "why's" from me:

• Wayne's apparatus to imitate "Old Ironeyes" & how that scene played out
  • Ranette's spheres & the creative ways Wax used them
  • Melaan with her broken-up skeleton still standing tall at the end to accept the Bands on behalf of the kandra
  • Choc! (I wonder if Brandon's kids love hot cocoa & that was the inspiration - ?)

But best of all was

• (Wax's thoughts) "Those arms Those arms!!" At that point on my first read-thru, it was all I could do to not throw the book up in the air & scream "Survivor of Hathsin! Survivor of Hathsin!" Happily, I resisted the urge to destroy a lovely hardback book, but - - - wow!

9 hours ago, Karger said:

• Steris making lists of all the things they need.
  • Wayne throwing nuts at that old Kandra
  • The scene with Wax and Steris where she takes out the gun tied to her leg.
  • Wayne being offended by Marasi cheating by showing credentials.

I also forgot to mention the entire hotel scene, compete with Steris' list of everything that could go wrong 

9 hours ago, Raphaborn said:

Sorry, but where exactly do you think Harmony is intervening too much? Because this whole saga is about another god invading your domain, distorting your magic system and corrupting your sacred servants. It would be strange if he looked at all this and thought "solve the problem if you can, if not the planet that is destroyed". As he said, he is just avoiding the worst. If it seems that he is intervening so much, it is because we are seeing events through an elite group that he uses to prevent the end of the world.

I guess you're right 

Still doesn't stop me from disliking how he used Wax (even though Wax seems to appreciate it now that he's thought about it more)

6 hours ago, Dr. Dapper said:

Wayne's quest to find a suitable gift for Ranette is one of my all-time favorite scenes. Wayne being Wayne is just a pleasure to read, since he's just goofy and leaves chaos in his wake wherever he goes. 

I also love that we get more from his point of view - he could be doing anything, I'd read it 

15 hours ago, StealthPrincess said:

No, I am so so so excited and intrigued about it!

What do you think?

I suspect that's the Ruin in him. Maybe, in his heart of hearts, he thinks that the people of Northern Scadrial, the former denizens of the Final Empire, have already suffered enough, so he goes all Preservation on them

Edited by Honorless

1 minute ago, Honorless said:

I suspect that's the Ruin in him. Maybe, in his heart of hearts, he thinks that the people of Northern Scadrial, the former denizens of the Final Empire have already suffered enough, so goes all Preservation on them

People on Southern Scadrial have the technological advantage though, because of his non-interference 

12 hours ago, The Sovereign said:

sorry to be the bearer of bad news... I suppose this could change but I suspect that it wont (Wayne has "I die at the end of the series" written all over him...).

That just means he is not one yet.  Not that he can not become one in the future.

33 minutes ago, StealthPrincess said:

People on Southern Scadrial have the technological advantage though, because of his non-interference 

Actually because of Kelseir's interference.

Edited by Karger

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Actually because of Kelseir's interference.

Thank goodness for his interference, I would say!

@StealthPrincess I don’t think “ he is not a worldhopper” means that “ he can not become a worldhopper later”!! 
I am team Wayne worldhopper too. 

Edited by The Traveller

7 hours ago, The Traveller said:

Thank goodness for his interference, I would say!

@StealthPrincess I don’t think “ he is not a worldhopper” means that “ he can not become a worldhopper later”!! 
I am team Wayne worldhopper too. 

Where does Mistborn Era 2 fit within the cosmere timeline? I'll need to keep a look out for him ;)

How come no one has mentioned the whole "Rotten Tomato" thing (I can't remember what it's called exactly, I read BoM a while ago.)

That was one of my favorite parts, because I thought it really showcased Wax+Wayne's relationship. 

(plus it reminded me of "Get Help" and, come on, is that not amazing?)

And also, the fact that every single one of those ridicules names entailed an entire plan between them. :rolleyes: I LOVE every time they interact!