Quantus

"Copies" in Selish Magic

Question

I came across this WOB and I cant figure out what he's referencing (admittedly it's been a long time since I read Elantris). When have we seen Selish Magics "making a copy" via transformation that would "fill your head with things".  Is that a Forgery reference, or has there been something like actual cloning?

dougpgc (paraphrased)

I asked him if a feruchemist were to visit Earth and tap Duralumin, could they do something as involved as talk local sports with someone?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No -- when you trick your spirit into thinking it's from where you're currently tapping, it's not a full transformation, like Sel-ish magic making a copy.. It doesn't just fill your head with things from the place you're visiting.

Utah Humanities Book Festival (Oct. 8, 2016)

4 answers to this question

51 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I came across this WOB and I cant figure out what he's referencing (admittedly it's been a long time since I read Elantris). When have we seen Selish Magics "making a copy" via transformation that would "fill your head with things".  Is that a Forgery reference, or has there been something like actual cloning?

Seems like forgery to me.  I can't think of anything else.  If we want to go crazy aluminum hat he might accidentally have let slip another sellish magic system but I do not think that is the case.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

Seems like forgery to me.  I can't think of anything else.  If we want to go crazy aluminum hat he might accidentally have let slip another sellish magic system but I do not think that is the case.

alternatively, the AonDor seems pretty flexible about the things it can do, so gaining/borrowing/stealing knowledge is presumably a plausible use of it....but this does look like its referring to forgery to me

Tapping connection can make your spirit web think you were born in the same land as the people around you, allowing you to speak their language to some degree. However, it does not rewrite your past like Forgery does. Rewriting your past with Forgery makes it so that as long as you are stamped, you have different knowledge and capabilities than you would unstamped. Using your scenario, tapping connection on Earth while around a bunch of American sports fans would make it so you can understand English, but you wouldn't know anything more about the sport they are a fan of. Conversely, if you made a Soul Stamp that rewrote your past so that at an earlier age you encountered and became a fan of the sport in question, you would be able to talk sports with those people. Although, I'm unsure of how much research you'd have to do on the sport beforehand to make a valid Soul Stamp.

Edited by Harrycrapper

11 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

alternatively, the AonDor seems pretty flexible about the things it can do, so gaining/borrowing/stealing knowledge is presumably a plausible use of it....but this does look like its referring to forgery to me

Actually steeling knowledge is not something I think we will ever see.  It has too many applications(Hoid).

8 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

. Conversely, if you made a Soul Stamp that rewrote your past so that at an earlier age you encountered and became a fan of the sport in question, you would be able to talk sports with those people. Although, I'm unsure of how much research you'd have to do on the sport beforehand to make a valid Soul Stamp.

Enough so that you actually understand to some degree how someone becomes a sports fan is always what I presumed.

Edited by Karger