Radiant+Allomancer

The New Rashek

Here's a wob for using regular duralumin and surgebinding together:
https://wob.coppermind.net/events/381/#e12774

Dwarven_Hydra

Would a Duralumin Gnat Surgebinder be able to use duralumin to do a super Surge?

Brandon Sanderson

This (Duralumin+Surgebinding) would work.

General Signed Books 2019 (July 2, 2019)

So by extension, it seem like compounding duralumin, which makes duralumin's regular effect even stronger, would also work, resulting in an insanely strong surge.

15 minutes ago, Jozomby said:

So by extension, it seem like compounding duralumin, which makes duralumin's regular effect even stronger, would also work, resulting in an insanely strong surge.

Compounding duralumin would make your connections stronger not duralumin's normal effect.

That WOB says you can use Allomantic Duralumin to boost a Surgebinder.  There is no Compounding hack to get any more of an Allomantic effect, they just have to Flare (and risk Svantism thereby).  If Flared (perhaps this was the OP's intended question?) I think it would work mostly the same way and flush all their held Stormlight into a single Surge (the effects of which would vary wildly by Surge).

Compounding would get you an unlimited supply of a Stored attribute, and in the case of Duralumin it would give you an unlimited supply of some Spiritual Connection.  This Supercharging Connection would make people supernaturally trusting of you, and per WOB it would have lots of use in Worldhopping (though we dont how all that actually works yet).   

The most Useful instance of Duralumin Compounding I can think of would actually be for getting Selish Magic off-world.  Supposedly, one of the Easier methods to get access to Selish magics off-world is to tap the Connection to the appropriate nation/region of Sel from a metalmind.  Being able to Compound means you only have to acquire the Connection once (which is likely to require Worldhopping to Sel, not easy these days), after which you can Compound it indefinitely.  As long as you have the initial Seed Connection.  You'll need an UnSealed Medallion that grants Connector Powers and get locals to hold it and fill some random bit of Duralumin but not the actual medallion with their local Connection.  Then you have a collection of Connections to Elantris for AonDor, MaiPon for Forgery, etc.  

DoritoJH

So, AonDor is super versatile and powerful.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but region-locked!

DoritoJH

Yes, it is region locked, exactly. If a full Feruchemist using nicrosil were to create an unlocked medallion that allowed an Elantrian to store Connection to Elantris' location, would it let them use AonDor at full power as long as they were tapping that Connection?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. That should work just fine.

Just understand that the medallion's going to have to be usable by everyone in order to work. You're going to have to jump through some hoops, but I think what you want there would work. And for those of you listening, that would be the harder way to unlock AonDor. There are easier methods.

DragonCon 2019 (Aug. 31, 2019)

Edited by Quantus
grammar...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, sorry if this is gravedigging a little bit, but I have a follow up question to this: what would be the actual effect of duralumin boosted surges?  I mean some seem pretty straightforward.  Windrunner surges plus duralumin would just be supercharged versions of those surges.  same for something like progression - you'd just end up with extremely fast growth and/or healing.  but what about Shallan's illusions?  what would it mean for her to create an illusion using all of her stored stormlight?  same for something like an elsecaller jumping between realms or a soulcaster transforming something?

3 hours ago, Dunkum said:

OK, sorry if this is gravedigging a little bit, but I have a follow up question to this: what would be the actual effect of duralumin boosted surges?  I mean some seem pretty straightforward.  Windrunner surges plus duralumin would just be supercharged versions of those surges.  same for something like progression - you'd just end up with extremely fast growth and/or healing.  but what about Shallan's illusions?  what would it mean for her to create an illusion using all of her stored stormlight?  same for something like an elsecaller jumping between realms or a soulcaster transforming something?

Illumination: Could make an incredibly quick pulse of laser light, even gamma rays, to just really mess someone up.

Transportation: Might be the boost you need to Transport from CR to PR (as we've gotten WoB that Jasnah couldn't just Transport herself back out after jumping to the CR from the boat).

Transformation: Probably works a bit like duralumin + brass/zinc on a spiked being, but less dramatic and "total control"-y. Basically just powers through the object's will and forces it to change, from the sheer "pressure" of investiture being forced into it.

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

Illumination: Could make an incredibly quick pulse of laser light, even gamma rays, to just really mess someone up.

Transportation: Might be the boost you need to Transport from CR to PR (as we've gotten WoB that Jasnah couldn't just Transport herself back out after jumping to the CR from the boat).

Transformation: Probably works a bit like duralumin + brass/zinc on a spiked being, but less dramatic and "total control"-y. Basically just powers through the object's will and forces it to change, from the sheer "pressure" of investiture being forced into it.

I could see transformation powering through will and/or other things like built up investiture (e.g. allowing one to transform a metalmind, which would otherwise resist it more strongly).  For illumination, a single strong pulse of light or sound was something that occurred to me, but that is a very specific use, and not one we've really seen Sahllan attempt to apply, I think.  It seems plausible, but i'm more interested in what would happen if someone burned duralumin while just tring to generate a normal illusion, like Shallan's Veil disguise.

Just now, Dunkum said:

I could see transformation powering through will and/or other things like built up investiture (e.g. allowing one to transform a metalmind, which would otherwise resist it more strongly).  For illumination, a single strong pulse of light or sound was something that occurred to me, but that is a very specific use, and not one we've really seen Sahllan attempt to apply, I think.  It seems plausible, but i'm more interested in what would happen if someone burned duralumin while just tring to generate a normal illusion, like Shallan's Veil disguise.

Maybe the actual disguise would come out... better? More real (which with Shallan would be disastrous and would probably make her multiple personality problems even worse). More... Complete?? Idk how to phrase it but like it'd be more than just... an illusion based on a drawing overlayed on her.

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

Might make the Illusion tangible.

• Chaos locked this topic