Random Magic Systems

AonEne

Blindness: 

On the planet Cornea, about 50% of the population is born blind. The only way to alleviate this blindness is to pass it along to someone else. You can't blind someone who's already blind, but you could be blinded at multiple points in your life. It is common courtesy to get someone's permission before blinding them, and sometimes retired, or just charitable, people volunteer to be blinded so that someone else can see. At first it just seemed like a strange, but ultimately inconsequential, gimmick, but blind people claim that they're other senses and strength is enhanced. This can actually be used to great effect; those who have been blind for a long time can usually hold their own in a fight, and if they get close enough to touch, they can pass it along to their attacker, severely disorienting them as long as they haven't been blind for a while. 

That may or may not have been inspired by the thundercloud from Mario Kart.

Household chemicals (please don't drink them)

1 minute ago, The Unknown Order said:

Well, they are two of the more popular people on the Shard, so I think it would work.

@Channelknight Fadran is the only one who I think could actually oppose @AonEne

7 hours ago, Kings_way said:

Household chemicals (please don't drink them)

In this world instead of killing you Mustard Gas lets you fly.

A litteral stick

7 minutes ago, Frustration said:

@Channelknight Fadran is the only one who I think could actually oppose @AonEne

In this world instead of killing you Mustard Gas lets you fly.

A litteral stick

He may be the only single person, but I think I could gather a network of individuals that could rebel...

In this magic system, everything is about growing things. Some people have the ability to grow nearby plants at extraordinary rates. They can control them and make the plants strong enough to lift things, and grant them a level of sentience.

A stop sign

19 hours ago, Chinkoln said:

He may be the only single person, but I think I could gather a network of individuals that could rebel...

A stop sign

You think they're loyal to you, anyway. 

Stop signs actually make things stop - in fact, all written commands shown to people make them carry them out. For this reason most people show themselves various commands to ignore some commands to block other people from having power over them, and it becomes a test to see how creative you can get if you want to do crime. Children are raised from birth with interesting commands shown to them. People who can't read have an advantage, but also a disadvantage because, well, reading. 

schoolwork

43 minutes ago, AonEne said:

You think they're loyal to you, anyway. 

Stop signs actually make things stop - in fact, all written commands shown to people make them carry them out. For this reason most people show themselves various commands to ignore some commands to block other people from having power over them, and it becomes a test to see how creative you can get if you want to do crime. Children are raised from birth with interesting commands shown to them. People who can't read have an advantage, but also a disadvantage because, well, reading. 

schoolwork

I never said they were loyal to me, just that I could cause an uprising. It is easy to get to people to revel, but controlling them AFTER the rebellion is much more difficult. I don’t need loyalty, just people who want, chaos... umm. If we stay with current leadership, we have Chaos, if we rebel, we have chaos.

The more schoolwork you do, the more intelligent you get. If you manage to get a PHD then you can control things with your mind, pretty much like telekinesis. If people drop out of school then their mind become very maleable and people can control them easily.

A green hydro flask 

1 hour ago, Chinkoln said:

I never said they were loyal to me, just that I could cause an uprising. It is easy to get to people to revel, but controlling them AFTER the rebellion is much more difficult. I don’t need loyalty, just people who want, chaos... umm. If we stay with current leadership, we have Chaos, if we rebel, we have chaos.

The more schoolwork you do, the more intelligent you get. If you manage to get a PHD then you can control things with your mind, pretty much like telekinesis. If people drop out of school then their mind become very maleable and people can control them easily.

A green hydro flask 

When you drink out of the Mystical Green Hydro Flask, you can wipe the memories of certain people from somebody's mind. Whenever the names of these people are said aloud, all this person will hear is "sksksksksk."

Nintendo Switch

• 5 months later...

Brick Walls

Everyone gains powers that grow with the size of the brick wall that they personally build with their bare hands, using bricks that they make themselves. The quality of the bricks, style of the wall, and the quality of the architecture all play a factor in the amount and type of power that is granted. There are a few alternate ways to gain power.

The first of these methods is dueling. Magic users can challenge each other to duels in order to win the opponents wall, and the powers that come with it. These duels must be mutually agreed to by all parties involved, and are usually to the death, but can have other win conditions, so long as all parties involved agree to them. Duels are usually between two individuals, but they can contain any number of contestants.

The next way to gain power is to steal the first brick placed in someone else's wall, also known as the FirstBrick, and add it to your own wall. This allows the thief to channel the magical powers of the person whose FirstBrick was stolen, as long as the FirstBrick remains in their wall. The FirstBrick can also be used to influence the mind of the person whose wall it was stolen from and, if added to a large enough wall, could be used to drive them insane or even completely mind control them. Someone under the influence of that control can be used to build the mind controller's wall, the only known way to have others build your wall.

The final known way to gain power is through Succession. If the maker of a wall freely gives away their FirstBrick to another, the one who is given the FirstBrick gains all the power from the wall. They can also add to the wall, so long as the original owner is still alive. The difference between freely giving the FirstBrick and having it stolen or taken by force is hard to define, and greatly depends on the perception of the original owner of the FirstBrick. It is also possible to set up a way for others to claim the FirstBrick without the original owner's direct consent, or after their death. This is commonly known as a Compact, and is a set of rules or conditions that can be imbued upon the FirstBrick. These rules can be literal, (For example: My direct male descendants may claim my FirstBrick, so long as they are the reigning king of England as recognized by the Pope.) metaphorical, (Example: Only one who is pure of heart may claim my FirstBrick) or even contain a quest (Example: He who slays the dragon shall claim my FirstBrick.). If conditions are applied, the FirstBrick may pass through multiple hands.

The single most prominent example of brick wall building, also known as Formature, is the Great Wall of China. This wall was begun by a samurai who labored for 10 years to build a wall, then began challenging others to gain more walls. After his wall (And his reputation) had grown, he began forcing his prisoners of war to create a FirstBrick and give it to him, then used these new slaves to make his wall even larger, until it eventually reached what it is today. On the day the wall was completed, he set forth the conditions under which his FirstBrick can be claimed, and placed it in a room that was specially formed to protect it from all who would try to steal it, and then departed into the unknown. The conditions he set are not commonly known, but the FirstBrick has been used three times in recorded history, and although many have attempted to steal it, only one person has ever come close to succeeding.

Making sausage

Edited by Nameless

• 3 months later...

everyone knows that sausages are important and powerful, but not everyone understands that the true power of sausages is when you are making them. every time someone makes a sausage they get a small amount of a mystical energy called Barbichi (pronounced barbi-ki) , which they can use to empower their physical form temporary. examples are temporary improving the senses or a burst of supernatural strength. a second use of Barbichi is embedding it inside of formerly living things, such as bones or leather, which can give them different magical effects. one of the most powerful weapons ever made was the sausage maker, a bone hunting knife with a leather grip, the leather allowing it to teleport back to your hand, and the blade instantly converted things killed by it into sausages, providing Barbichi to its owner.

ORIGAMI

Edited by Gak

This is an auramancy-based magic system. You pick an area, you infuse it with Intent (time this takes is linearly proportional to size of the area, so doubling the size doubles the duration) and then you bind it to a scroll. Writing certain formulas and runes on the scroll changes the properties inside the area. Those changes can affect anything: the rate at which time passes, the weather, the breathability of air, intensity of light, speed of plant growth, random fireballs popping into existence etc. After an auramancer finishes writing on a scroll, he completes the aura by folding the scroll. The more times a scroll is folded, the more resistant the aura is to overwriting (auramancers can infuse into areas that are already bound to a scroll, but it's harder). There are however two downsides to folding scrolls: 1. making an aura resistant to overwriting makes it indiscriminately resistant to overwriting from ALL sources, including the auramancer who created the scroll in the first place 2. An auramancer can only maintain a fixed amount of folds. For example, the average auramancer, after a grand total of 10 folds, can't infuse anything anymore until one of his previous scrolls gets destroyed or one of his previous auras gets overwritten. For this person, infusing 5 auras with twofold scrolls each might be way more useful than, say, a single tenfold scroll.

Speaking truths as a source of power (not honest statements, but hard facts)

On 1/14/2022 at 10:26 AM, CryoZenith said:

Speaking truths as a source of power (not honest statements, but hard facts)

Lightweavers...?

Alternatively: The first time an individual speaks a fact, they gain power relating to that fact. The more detailed and specific, the more power is gained. For example the fact "Gravity causes a downward acceleration of roughly 10 meters per second squared" would give you minimal influence over gravity, maybe allowing you to increase or decrease its strength very slightly. If you say "Gravity is an attractive force between masses governed by the equation F = G(m1*m2)/(r^2)" you would get far more influence. If you took it farther and began to discuss the quantum physics behind gravity, you get even greater power. This works for any objectively true statement, and the kind of power statements grants you varies wildly. The most interesting type of factual statements is quickly found to be ones referring to the type of power granted by different factual statements. This has the effect of making knowledge highly sought after in advanced levels, but also very difficult to obtain both because people are hesitant to grant power to others, but also because each individual may only gain power from a statement once, and all of that power is temporary, meaning people don't want to share facts because to do so they must say them. Therefore written language and sign language becomes the most common form of communication.

The Tassels on Graduation Caps

• 2 years later...

The Tassels on Graduation Caps capture an echo of a persons spirit, which the person who has them can use to summon that echo to serve them, the education system has reclaimed hundreds of thousands of these tassels, renting out the echo's as cheap laborers. (its necromancy, I necroed this thread)

night lights

A certain kind of algae grows in the dark but can harvest light for a short amount of time before expiring. When harvested, it grants magical power. Eating the algae's remains can increase endurance and strength. Different additives can grant it other properties. Therefore, the best way to farm it is night lights, the supply of which is strictly controlled.

Bass drops

In this world all music makes use of base drops, and for good reason, a good base drop will renew all around it when it plays, the bigger the build and more satisfying the pay off the better the result, good base drops have been known to mend broken objects, cure disease, and in one mythical concert even raise the dead. recently music has been restricted by the Agency for Control of Base Drops Excluding Fairly Gradual and Highly Incredible Jumps that Kinda Lower the Melody, (ABCDEFGHIJKLM) a truly despicable alphabet agency.

Backpacks

Edited by Gak