AonEne

Random Magic Systems

167 posts in this topic

Just now, Gears said:

Eyes

Some people born in Ohmygodwhydidyoudothat have the ability to remove their eyeballs and put them back in without damage. While the eye is out of the socket, it keeps the physical properties of an eye, but will not become damaged, a characteristic that has led to the development of the martial arts form known as Hapk-eye-do. Practitioners of Hapk-eye-do utilize their eyes as blunt force weapons, spinning them and striking the opponent after gaining enough momentum. They are feared both for their martial prowess, as well as the psychological trauma borne from being beaten up with an eyeball.

Exercise.

Exercise is fascinating system, truly.  We have discovered many uses for it.  For example, weight lifting: the user can telekinetically lift up to twenty times the weight of the dumbbell.

Pencils

2 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:

Exercise is fascinating system, truly.  We have discovered many uses for it.  For example, weight lifting: the user can telekinetically lift up to twenty times the weight of the dumbbell.

Pencils

Fadran.

I skipped the first few parts; hope that's okay.

The other day, I happened to run into a Traveler from a universe called the "Stubverse." He was in a bit of a hurry, so we barely had enough time to exchange Macrosmostic Business Cards before moving on. His directed me to his home planet of Pencilli, which retains a magic similar to that of Rithmancy in the Alleyverse. On the Business Card, it said that it had the "Best Dueling Magic in the Macrosmos."

I was a little skeptical, so I decided to take a visit. The first thing I noticed was that most people there wore pencils behind their ears; a trope that I felt instantly connected to. There were a number of buildings lining the streets, however, labeled "Drawfight Pub." When I entered one, I found the telltale signs of a scheduled fight: sweaty men in beards cheering, a large metal cage holding two people, and lots of drunks. Observing the current fight, I noticed that either contestant was hurling pencils at each other like Thor's hammer from the Marvel Cinematic Universe (which is most definitely in the Macrosmos). These pencils, when thrown, created a variety of effects, such as trails of fire, large spark fountains, or spikes of ice before returning to its owner.

I started researching, and found that pencil lead (graphite) channeled magic as well as plant matter does in Ivinan. The color of the graphite determined what effects would occur when a pencil was thrown. I have listed a few below:

• Red: Trail of fire
  • Orange: Wave of Sparks
  • Yellow: Trail of rock
  • Green: Mud splatters
  • Blue: Trail of water
  • Purple: Ice spikes

It seems as though certain colors affect each other. For example, mixing stone and water creates mud, which is generated by a Green graphite (green being, of course, the secondary color formed by Yellow and Blue, I.E. Rock and Water respectively). I didn't have much time to study this further, as I had some business to attend to back in my homeworld of Ivinan, but I may be reinvestigating this world later.

Pancakes

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

On 6/28/2020 at 3:02 PM, Channelknight Fadran said:

Pancakes

Hello fellow travelers, thanks for joining me for Travel with Stick Reeves, I'm your host Stick Reeves, and today we are going to be discussing one of my favorite spots to visit for magical sightseeing on a budget.

Tucked away, in a small self contained Unidimensional pocket of space, is a fabulous little planet, IHOP VII, which I found to be quite unique in its pairing of the Gastronomic and Thaumaturgical arts. As you may know, Unidimensional destinations in the Omegaverse (or Macrosmos as some travel writers call it), are more demanding in that time travel is impossible, so I suggest you really nail down your itinerary prior to travel as after the fact adjustments are strictly out of the question.

While denizens of every region of the Omegaverse are rightly aware of the mastery exhibited by IHOPians in the construction and decoration of luxury commodes, few but the initiated ever realize that their true genius lies in their preparation, garnishment and magical application of pancakes and the sundry closely related sweet and savory staples of breakfast and brunch repasts.

While on a recent journey to the largest metropolis on IHOP VII, New Bread Pudding, I had the distinct good fortune to visit the Tower of Blintzes during an Adamantine Chef battle. Similar in construction to that famous Terran puzzle known as the Tower of Hanoi, the Tower of Blintzes is composed of 3 narrow 700 foot tall towers over which 64 pancake shaped 10 foot tall floating buildings of increasing diameter can be stacked, but always obeying the principle that a larger building can never be stacked over a smaller building. Every hour the buildings shift position in the purported aim of moving from the Easterly tower to the Westerly tower. While this might seem intimidating, rest assured the elevators in the central towers are well aware of the prescribed motion of the buildings, and only very rarely has an unsuspecting tourist exited the elevator to their rather grisly death.

Being a travel writer of some reknown, I had the great fortune to be a celebrity judge on the tasting panel for the Adamantine Chef competition, where the foremost practitioners of Culinary Breakfast Magic compete for the title of Prime Chef, the 2nd highest office in all of IHOPian society. This was a transformative, religious experience for me, and to be honest reality for me has never been the same since.

The principles of their magic system are really quite fascinating and it's no wonder why IHOP VII has become a Mecca for Bohemians, Philosophers and Religious enthusiasts alike. A practioner of Culinary Breakfast Magic not only strives for perfection in the mundane preparation of the food, but they in fact simultaneously work to create an immersive experience that the consumption of their pancake illicits. The masters of this craft produce ephemeral works of transcendant kinesthetia, where the pairing of flavor, texture, and creative intent transport the gourmand to exalted planes of being. 

I once ate a street crepe that was so profoundly cast along the principles of breakfast magic that I now know the taste of the color mauve, and how the sound of the coo of a dove feels against the back of my neck (suprisingly it's a lot like the texture of alligator skin, but slimy like a slug).

A word of caution is in order, just as the high practitioners of their craft can transport your senses to exalted and unimagined planes of being, the poor practitioners can transport you to most decidely unpleasant planes of being. I once tried a Danish that was so foul I found, to my horror, that I experienced the full sensory array of Barry Manilow's  Copa Cabana. It smelled like a latrine, it felt like a mass of wriggling slimy pasta noodles, and I HEARD the music.

I definitely recommend eating at Zagnut rated establishments during your stay at IHOP VII.

Next up, a colleague of mine recently had quite the experience with:

Glove Magic

On 6/30/2020 at 3:58 AM, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

Glove Magic

By putting on a glove, the people of Thyurtys can increase certain attributes based on the glove in question. Thick gardening gloves meant to protect your hands from scrapes and calluses will thicken your skin all over your body. Shardplate gauntlets increase your strength, durability, and even make you slightly resistant to shardblades. Vorin safehand gloves increase... whatever attribute is valued in Vorin women. Admittedly, I didn't pay much attention to that one. Surgical gloves increase your ability to subtly manipulate your body. Additionally, once removed, the attributes increased will stay increased, though to a smaller degree (About 1/10). This system of magic even seems fairly common; about two thirds of all Thyurtys people have it.

I am a stick

Edited by Enter a username

2 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

I am a stick

I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. 

I am not a stick. 

Edited by Gears

2 minutes ago, Gears said:

I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. I am a stick. 

I am not a stick. 

???

5 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

???

In all seriousness, mathematics.

Edited by Gears

On 04/07/2020 at 6:35 AM, Gears said:

In all seriousness, mathematics.

In the wastelands of Garnit, I found an especially interesting magic system. There, the mathematical representation of a thing and the thing itself are intimately connected. Manipulating a representation is equivalent to manipulating the thing that it represents. Using a more accurate representation allows you to gets effect objects from farther away. Different representations also allow for different effects.

A simple example would be dividing things among many people. Simply dividing the number of things by the number of people automatically groups and distributes the objects. 

This magic system has had great effects upon the society of the Garnitians, what we would call advanced mathematics is taught from an early age, and people are encouraged to develop new techniques. This has resulted in great advancement of the mathematical techniques of the Garnitians, making them one of the foremost mathematicians in the world.

Currently, they are undergoing their version of the computer revolution, which will have great effects on society by allowing much faster and operation-heavy manipulation of mathematical objects.

Bottles

Edited by The_Truthwatcher
Grammer 'cause I am a rusting idiot.

On the desert planet bottletopia (great name, I know), the art of bottle-making, and by extension, glass-making, is a closely guarded secret, known only to the elite members of society. The world is covered in one solid desert with major cities being located at the few large oases. It is impossible to travel between the cities unless you have a bottle. For unknown magical reasons, any liquid that is stored in any non-glass container disappears when it is brought far enough into the desert. Because glass is made from the desert sand (this is the secret that must be kept) the desert seems to ignore water inside it, as it sees the glass as still being sand. You basically have to smuggle water through the desert in order to survive. 

Shoes. 

On 7/11/2020 at 3:56 PM, The Second Post said:

Shoes

After finding the Thyurtys people, I did a bit of exploring, and found a new country. Actually the exact same age, (down to the minute) the Fyurtys people have a similar magic system, but with shoes instead of gloves. Other then that, and how rare it is (one third instead of two thirds), they're basically the same.

Being confused

15 minutes ago, Enter a username said:

Being confused

*Not 'canon' to the Sirverse.*

Sometime during the trip, I woke to find myself underneath my cot, rather than on top as I had last remembered. Further adding to my confusion was the fact that in my right hand was clutched my field journal, which I clearly remembered as having locked in a secure box before going to sleep. Opening the journal to the most recent entry, I was met with twelve pages of notes that I did not remember writing, with each sentence making less sense than the previous. They detailed an excursion into an unnamed village in which I (I assume the writer was me) was involved in some sort of celebration called "EAsaAAAAAAAA". I do not know if this is the actual name of the celebration, as it was around here that my notes became erratic, with many words being misspelled and seemingly random interjections of phrases such as "The moooon dansed insaheed treees of oshens" and "I'm writing this with a brick". From what I can gather, this was a celebration of insanity and not understanding. Food was described as being "a mishmash uv dert end pebbls" mixed with "delishus froot end pastrees", and the music was no more than "musishens flayling, sumtims hiting their instrumens". There was a crude drawing of what appeared to be a smiling man standing in the center of a fire, unharmed, captioned with "Cheef Braia dooing majik after asking te croud if fier has too bee hot, end fainding no gud anser, went forth to figyur aoot". 

The entry quickly devolved into illegible scribbles and drawings. At the very end was a drawing seeming to depict me (judging by how the figure was holding a book with ribbons like my own) walking away from a group of people, with the caption reading (it was legible and with proper grammer, interesting enough) "I was kicked out of the village because I figured out how the magic worked and ruined their celebration. I feel like I'm waking up from a dream, and I'm exhausted."

I have yet to completely decipher all of the notes.

Tap dancing.

On the planet of Fotlery, tap dancing can make things happen. Tapping different rythms or routines can create effects like a blast of fire or reanimation of the dead. The better your shoes fit, the more powerful the magic.

Hydraulics 

Edited by Kings_way

8 minutes ago, Kings_way said:

On the planet of Fotlery, tap dancing can make things happen. Tapping different rythms or routines can create effects like a blast of fire or reanimation of the dead. The better your shoes fit, the more powerful the magic.

Hydraulics 

Hmm well I'm pretty good at the Time Step, but my tap shoes are too big. But I made them fit by stuffing cotton in the toe. How powerful am I?

On 7/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, Kings_way said:

Hydraulics 

Hello everyone!

It's been awhile since I've explored and written about another world; you can blame the Fellowship of the Thing for that. In any case, I've finally taken the time to write about a favorite world of mine: Earth.

I'm not sure what the official name for Earth's Universe is, because the locals simply call it "The Universe." There are no shortage of planets there, but only a few are inhabited as far as I can tell. Earth itself is of great interest, because it houses a race of creatures known as "humans." They do resemble humans from most other realms (the Cosmere, the Omniverse, and the Alleyverse, to name a few), which is more than I can say about some other species (*COUGH* Kobolds *COUGH*).

In this world of Earth, they don't refer to their own system of magic as... well, magic. Rather, they call it by a number of names; 'Electricity' is one of them, 'Weather' is another, and so are "Hydraulics." Hydraulics are of great interest to me, due to the simplicity of its concept, and the complication of its implication. The process of Hydraulics follow the intense heating of a double-Hydrogen bonded Oxygen molecule called "water" (yes, I'm aware that water exists in other places), and the evaporation of said water into its gaseous form, "steam."

Like all matter in this Universe, evaporating water also expands the volume of said water. As the water evaporates into steam, pressure is built, and at a certain threshold, this pressure can move even the largest of machines. Enormous turbines, pistons, and self-driving vehicles called 'trains' are all powered by these Hydraulics. The method for evaporating this water has changed over the years, from coal-powered stoves, to nuclear fission reactors powered by firing neutrons via particle accelerator into masses of the heavy metal "plutonium."

The locals of Earth have taken these hydraulics farther than simply moving large metal contraptions; using the evaporation of water and pressure of steam, they have developed a way of controlling 'electricity.' Using coal, water, and a turbine, humans have harnessed the power of lightning. I'm not entirely sure how this 'electicity' works, however; in fact, I don't even know if their local 'electicians' do.

In any case, I'm going to make sure to return to this world someday, and discover their strange 'electromagnetic waves' in the form of magical tablets called "cell phones."

Edit: Aw, heck. I always forget the prompt:

Watching Movies and Playing Video Games

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

My most recent journey has taken me to the planet of Coosh-Put-ato. The natives have the strange habit of sitting and staring at boxes of light for hours on end, sometimes while wiggling a device. They claim it gives them a type of energy called "culture" which they need to communicate to others. I was unceremoniously thrown out when I pointed out that I didn't do their ritual, and could communicate fine.

Basically anything with nation destroying capabilities. 

On 9/24/2020 at 11:55 AM, Kings_way said:

Basically anything with nation destroying capabilities. 

Upon Fadran's essay on Earth, I discovered that they have very, very powerful weapons. One type, called "nuclear warheads," are some of the deadliest they have developed. As they have only been used twice, not including their numerous tests, it is very hard to get proper data. However, both of those uses leveled a city, plus the nasty effect of ionizing radiation, and they've only gotten bigger and more advanced since then. All we can hope for is that they never use these devices again, and certainly that they never discover the Macrosmos as a whole.

Procrastinating by sitting on a sandwich in the dark

1 hour ago, Enter a username said:

Procrastinating by sitting on a sandwich in the dark

I write these words in rye, for anything not set in bread cannot be trusted. I have discovered that everything we know is a lie. All of existence is a simulation. I discovered this completely by accident, I fell down some stairs, tumbled into a dark room, my lunch fell out of my pocket, the door shut behind me, and I ended up in the dark, on my sandwich. As soon as I ended up in this position, I immediately felt the effects of the supernatural. I decided to forgo going back to work, and it appears this doubled the effect. My vision went blurry, and I ascended. I saw that our entire life is a really crappy life simulation game for higher beings, beings who really really enjoy bread and bread related products. Approximately 20% of humans are actually these being’s player characters, with the rest of us being NPCs. Apparently the way to access a save point and leave the game is by sitting on a sandwich in the dark. It had to be something obscure or else we might’ve found out. But now the truth is out. I wonder if it should have been kept secret. 

Not exactly a magic system but I just started writing and couldn’t stop. 

Clouds. 

As I was journeying to my next destination, I was suddenly accosted by a man in a ski mask. He demanded that I hand over all my money, or I would regret it. As I attempted to flee, the man muttered something in a guttural voice, and a heavy fog fell around us, obscuring my vision entirely. I immediately tripped on a rock and fell unconscious. When I awoke, all my money was gone, including the paper from the Hushlands, and the sky was completely clear of clouds. Fortunately, the thief didn't take my journal, though that could have been because it was inside my shoe. I have postponed my travels until I track down the robber, both to get my money back and learn more about his skills.

Autumn Leaves

Edited by Kings_way

I have discovered an extremely interesting world, with an even more interesting magic system. The inhabitants, which I must note are still quite primitive, call it Cadomancy. In their language it means, “The Art of Falling.” One of the most intriguing parts of this magic is its’ limitations. Falling can only be used most effectively during this worlds form of our season of Autumn. However, this does not mean it can’t be used at other times. It only means that it’s most effective during this season.

Users of Falling have the ability to manipulate the leaves of the trees found on the planet, called Vaenly. Though only if they are no longer attached to their original tree. At first I wondered why the simply didn’t pick the leaves from the trees. When I asked a local he said this, “Uha’ti eneim yulio, au’vaen! Vaes buhu’yi nuti yil’au Cado’hus, zay gebet ui’vat. Xri, mabana’yi uo’li, auquneinc droruo yil boro lopuo niv’ur yil’zat Cadok’hus”

Which I translated to mean something along the lines of, “You are a silly man, foreigner! The leaves know that they didn’t Fall naturally, but by our hands. So, they spite us, not letting us control them as we’d do if they’d Fallen naturally,” Hence why they use the magic during Autumn, when the leaves fall extremely often. It also seems that the leaves fall in an unnaturally heavy amount. Why during my stay, when the season came, you could barely walk a single pace without hearing the crunching sound of leaves beneath you feet.

Though the feats I’d seen accomplished by these Cadomancers negate all of my disgruntlement towards the environment of Vaenly. Not only have a seen warriors use it to great advantage during combat, turning the leaves into sharp knife-like projectiles or using them as blunt force weapons. But, I’ve seen feats of great engineering done with this magic. In fact, it seems that the potential the leaves hold is almost endless, unless of course fire is involved. 

Fire is indeed very dangerous on this planet. Not accounting for the already higher than average level of oxygen of the planet, it’s star produces much more sub-red light, somewhat more visible form of infrared light, than what we would call the visible spectrum. As I mentioned before, I’m not particularly fond of the planet. And not just because of the leaves everywhere during Autumn. More so that the world is so dark. Because of the lack of visible light created by the sun here, every thing is extremely dark to my eyes. Though I suspect that the locals here have adapted very well to the environment. There eyes must see more into the red side of the spectrum, allowing them to access the light their star generates, so to them the planet must be as bright as we’d consider normal.

Another thing of that must be noted is that I’ve gotten hints that there may be other magics on this world. Perhaps yet again relating to the seasons? I don’t know, but I intend to find out.

— From the journal of Ravvol Nulla, Cassik scholar and adventurer. 

Amphibian

EDIT; please do not steal this idea :), I may or may not write a story about it...

Edited by Ventyl

On 10/31/2020 at 6:17 PM, Ventyl said:

Amphibian

This morning, when I went to a river near my camp to collect water, I was admiring a group of small frogs, when a man next to me grabbed one and ate it. When I questioned his strange behavior, he told me this story.

The Gruldy frog was not always on Tsarj, our planet. 57 years ago, a group of mysterious travelers who claimed to be from a dying planet accidentally let some loose. Having no natural predators, they quickly spread and became a pest. The emperor of Tsarj ordered the civilians to kill any they found. Many were killed, but the commoners did not have the motivation to work for that, as they had to spend most of their time working to get food for their families. A few desperate people tried to eat the frogs, and discovered something amazing. Eating the frogs awakened a energy inside the people, allowing them to control and breathe in water. Soon the knowledge of this spread, and the Gruldy were brought down to a manageable level. With the powers they gained, the peasant class rose against the emperor. He and his guards were easily overtaken, because the ruling class had never eaten the food, considering it poor man's meat. 

When the man brought me to his town, I saw that the people could indeed control water.  They had achieved many great architectural feats, though many could not be entered until I ate a Gruldy. They let me take a few home, which I will continue to study.

Textiles

Edited by Kings_way

Posted (edited)

The 10 textile fabrics can be categorized into internal & external: depending on whether the effect produced is a localized phenomenon focused on the wearer's body / the clothing itself or if it targets other people or animals or objects, and

pushing & pulling: Push textile abilities are accessed via burning, i.e they literally burn up (without harming the wearer) while their effects are... well, in effect, leaving the user in their underpants (which can also be burned during emergencies). The process of burning itself starts with a single thread (the whole dress doesn't just spontaneously ignite... if it did, that could be quite the ability within itself in the right hands, or rather on the right people... well, minus the one fabric that does exactly that) kind of like a candle wicker

Pull textile abilities are accessed via storing and tapping. The fabrics get more & more worn out, the more they are used; eventually turning into rags. Rags can also be used to store and/or tap, of course, but may leave their user in a compromising situation afterwards. Furthermore, both the act of storing as well as tapping wears out the fabric, so they might get worn out in the middle of storing.

Overuse can turn one into... one of the dreaded Nudists.

1) Canvas: external, pushing. Canvas aka camo or camouflage (regardless of whether or not they actually are camo) makes the wearer difficult to focus on, causing other people's eyes & attention to just slide off from the wearer. Rate of Burning does not depend on the no. of onlookers, but the effect of the power: low burn is as described above; medium burn causes viewers to think of the wearer as a non-entity, irrelevant, someone they don't need to take into account, not worth focusing on; high burn is basically a cognitohazard which actively deletes the wearer's existence from other people's minds.
2) Satin: external, pulling. Storing pulls other people's attention towards the wearer. Storing is only possible once someone looks at the wearer, once the process starts it's difficult for onlookers to look away or think of anything else aside from the wearer. Tapping causes whoever had looked at the wearer while Storing to think of the wearer and nothing else for the duration of tapping. Not Tapping, but having Stored attention from the subject may still cause them to think of the wearer somewhat obsessively.
3) Wool: internal, pulling. Normal knitted wool yarn. Truly an all-weather fabric! Stores warmth, keeping you cool on a sunny day, and letting you Tap warmth on a cold day. Performs an essential function, as it is used by the Fire Force.
4) Cashmere: internal, pushing. Burning it causes it to... well, burn. The flames produced are supernaturally intense and difficult to put out by normal means, on top of all that it Burns (and burns) rather slowly.
5) Linen: external, pulling. Allows one to store things in a linen pocket & later "tap" or retrieve it. Objects put into the pocket must fit into the pocket. The pocket itself need not be capable of bearing the weight of the object as the objects put into the pocket (dimension) disappears from this plane of existence entirely. It can then only be retrieved by the same person who put it there. An entire garment can be considered a "pocket" if it can completely enclose an object (or person, or animal) and any openings can be shut closed.  If the linen is completely destroyed, whatever was stored inside is lost forever.
6) Lace: internal, pushing. Allows two people wearing an article of clothing cut from the same piece of fabric to share their senses. Often shared between lovers (you damn well know what for! But not just for that...) Sometimes also used as a romantic or filial gesture of sharing pain (doesn't actually divide the pain between two wearers, only makes the other part of the pair experience the same amount of pain). If one person is killed while wearing lace, so is the other person if they happen to be wearing the paired lace at the time of death. If they were not wearing it at the time of death, it just extinguishes the slowly burning lace. If they put it on again, they will experience total sensory deprivation.
7) Spandex: internal, pulling. Stores (conventional, regional) attractiveness. Wearers may come out looking painfully generic (but still conventionally attractive), wearers might also come out looking... inhuman & uncanny. While "Storing", the user's appearance changes into the regional standard of unattractiveness, and while "Tapping", the user's appearance changes into the regional standard of attractiveness. "Conventional attractiveness" encapsulates being whole, healthy & young, with all that implies. Can be shared between people, with all that implies, though doesn't actually steal anyone's health or youth, thankfully.
8) Tweed: external, pushing. Extends an aura of general well-being and literal good vibes. Can cause confidence boost in surrounding people as well as a minor physical health boost. Can also be used to boost favourable impression towards the wearer.
9) Denim: external, pulling. Stores luck. Can be shared between people, with all that implies. Rate of Storage = Rate of Tapping, i.e. small incidences of bad luck cannot be exchanged for one instance of good luck. Cost of one instance of boosted luck can only be equal to one instance of bad luck with comparable value to the wearer.
10) Velvet: internal, pushing. Pushing causes the strength & durability of the fabric to increase drastically, also giving the wearer telekinetic control over their dress. War coats and War gowns are made with an excess of fabrics, wearers of the latter are sometimes referred to as Battle Ballerinas or "Babe-lades" due to their famous signature move of spinning like a top.

Mixed fabrics forbidden since the birth of the Eternal Storm: a wandering man and his giant whirlwind of fabrics, a memetic hazard, unspooling woven textiles with his passing, spreading fire, good vibes, improbable events and causing disappearances.

The so-called "god textiles":
Leather: internal, pushing/pulling. Allows the wearer to attain the natural abilities and skills of the pelt of whatever creature they're wearing. Flayed skin of human beings also works. This ability transference is considered the pulling part, the pushing allows the wearer to maximize any one of their skills to inhuman perfection.
Metal Armour: external, pushing/pulling. Allows the wearer to Store or displace parts of their armour, causing it to dematerialize from their suit, only to rematerialize wherever they invision when they Tap it. The displaced piece is not locked into its original shape, it can rematerialize in any shape they will it to take, but still preserving its volume. Pushing allows the wearer to burn up anything within their line of sight that's made of the same metal as their armour, at twice the rate of the Burning of their armour. Recent development of massive battlesuits, called Gundams have used this ability to devastating effect.

Moods

Edited by Honorless

Posted (edited)

this thread feels like home, i have made two magic systems and have ideas for two more in my spare time recently, and I just want to thank AonEne for making this thread.

this one is pretty standard, but i thought i would give it a try

moods, henceforth referred to as emotion, are something unique to creatures with souls, the more advanced and complex the soul, the wider range of emotions it can reach, when someone reaches extreme emotions they have a small chance to become a Moodmage, with extended extreme emotions having increasingly high chances. people often snap as children due to this. (i couldn't think of a good name, suggestions are welcome) using their emotions to harness the powerful emotions their soul creates, different emotions create different effects which will be listed below, and stronger emotions cause more powerful effects. a side effect of using magic is your emotions becoming muted as you use them as fuel, though they will recover and come back with time.

emotion effects. (if anyone thinks of one that i missed please tell me and i will try to fix it)

anger: anger is used for fire magic, though its extremely due to the usual lack of control and rationality that comes with anger.

jealousy: jealousy is used for summoning magic, though its highly frowned upon to use, and most moodmages know better then to use it.

irritation: irritation is used for sound manipulation, and is generally used to mute annoying noises.

happiness/joy: happiness is electric magic, so moodmages who are generally happy are employed by powerplants, leading to the saying that the world runs on happiness.

love: love is used to create objects out of nothing, and is useful if you forgot your spouses anniversary

sadness: sadness is water magic, and many sad moodmages end up with involuntary rainclouds hovering over themselves as a odd and not fully understood side effec

fear*: fear magic is used to create shields and wards to protect the user, which thankfully last a while after fear subsides, otherwise it would be quite useless because they would stop feeling scared because of their shield, and then promptly lose it.

*bravery is a variant of fear, which is being scared but still doing what scares them. bravery causes stronger effects then fear and mutes slower.

shyness: shyness is used to create invisibility, used as a defense mechanism to avoid people.

sympathy: sympathy is used to heal others, though people who feel sympathy pain (like me) are warned against going into the medical field.

guilt/shame: guilt is used for memory magic, but its not healthy to use and can have severe emotional consequences.

determination: determination is used for temporary physical enhancements.

confusion: confusion is used to gain information, such as scrying, which usually helps resolve the confusion.

if anyone has one for earth or air I would appreciate it.

blindness

Edited by Gak

On 4/9/2021 at 1:06 PM, Gak said:

this thread feels like home, i have made two magic systems and have ideas for two more in my spare time recently, and I just want to thank AonEne for making this thread.

Thanks, glad you also like the idea! And that's a really cool magic system!