So Mistborn is basically a heist story like Ocean's 11?

urrutiap

Mistborn was partially inspired by heist stories and Brandon picked the specific powers in allomancy with the concept of 'what would be useful to a team of thieves' but it's not just Ocean's Eleven with magic. But if you like a good caper story, that part of Mistborn should be right up your alley.

Edited by Weltall

1 hour ago, urrutiap said:

I read the first 150 pages of the first Mistborn book Final Empire.

So basically its a heist job type of story like Ocean's 11 only with using metals and magic to take out the bad guys?

It starts like that but that is not all that it has

13 minutes ago, urrutiap said:

Plus the men that Kelsier is recruiting they along with him they all arent exactly smart while Vin is the only smart one who thinks the whole plan is dumb and dangerous

I don't think they're not smart. Everyone on the crew thought that Kelsier was mad, he's just so charismatic that they continued to work with him for the heist.

Vin's street smart and has good instincts, but each member of the crew has their own strengths and area of knowledge.

Plus the men that Kelsier is recruiting they along with him they all arent exactly smart while Vin is the only smart one who thinks the whole plan is dumb and dangerousis

All of them know that the odds are against them surviving into old age.  That changes their outlook on the acceptableness of various risks.  Besides Kelseir has pulled off the impossible on numerous occasions.  He just came back from what everyone thought was a death sentence and became mistborn while he was at it. 

Edited by Karger

Well Kelsier comes on a bit too strong and arrogant where he keeps saying hes gonna take down Lord Ruler while Vin is standing around hearing the insane plan the whole time. 

Cant believe Brandon Sanderson made 6 Mistborn books 

Well not to spoil anything, but the first three are their own self contained thing, and the second three are their own self contained thing. So its not a heist caper throughout all 6. 

Edited by Pathfinder

Well Kelsier comes on a bit too strong and arrogant where he keeps saying hes gonna take down Lord Ruler while Vin is standing around hearing the insane plan the whole time. 

The series is a trilogy. The next one is a sequel series that is planed to have 4 books

1 hour ago, Stormfather-in-Law said:

The rest of the 5 books is actually the end scene heist sequence told in excruciatingly slow motion. Book 4 is just one woman crossing a room!

I will admit that I laughed but maybe do not imply that to someone who is just getting into the series.  What if they actually take you seriously?

3 hours ago, urrutiap said:

You’re right. Don’t read any more of it. In fact never read any book ever again. They’re all secretly oceans 11.

9 hours ago, urrutiap said:

Well Kelsier comes on a bit too strong and arrogant where he keeps saying hes gonna take down Lord Ruler while Vin is standing around hearing the insane plan the whole time

Wow. I think I have told you before that please do not pass your judgements before reading the entire book. Not every heist story is oceans 11. And the other 5 books are not at all what you think! 

9 hours ago, urrutiap said:

Seriously? Why not just focus on the book you are reading and worry about the others later. 

7 hours ago, Stormfather-in-Law said:

The rest of the 5 books is actually the end scene heist sequence told in excruciatingly slow motion. Book 4 is just one woman crossing a room!

Lol.. made me laugh so much!

@urrutiap - I found that the characters grew on me as I went along. Brandon is so good at building realistic characters.:) It's difficult for us to imagine the mental state of someone who went through what Kelsier did before we meet him in the 1st book; when you get to the part about him escaping the Pits of Hathsin, I think you'll relate to him better. There's a lot more to Kelsier than bragging & conning his targets. Enjoy the story!!