*waves to get attention* I have a petition

AonEne

Please sign my petition   

21 members have voted

1. 1. Should the subforum’s name be changed?

• Yes! Roleplaying for the win! *signs*
    • No, Ene, you’re such a weirdo
    • I’m Itiah and I don’t want to sign this petition, even though considering how awesome I am I should want to

This subforum should be called Roleplaying and not Role-Playing. If enough people agree, the mods might take notice and do it. :ph34r: Or just roll their eyes at us but hey it’s worth a shot, I do genuinely think this 

Edited by AonEne

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Maybe-Existent said:

Is there any way to vote no without calling you a weirdo? :P

You want to say no? I am offend! :P I’ll add one for you... 

Edit: (I’m joking around, don’t feel pressured to say yes) 

Edited by AonEne

Far as I can tell, only Vocabulary.com and Urban Dictionary spell it like one word. Merriam-Webster uses the hyphenated version as does Dictionary.com, Wikipedia, and countless others. In addition, there's a third possibility as well: role playing, that is found on Google and Collins English Dictionary.

This isn't a simple question at all due to the many variants of the word. However, I believe I must say no on this one because It would feel heretical to disagree with Merriam-Webster. 

(But you're not a weirdo, Ene!)

Also this:

https://www.enworld.org/threads/roleplay-role-play-or-role-play.59043/

The abbreviation argument is a pretty good one. Role-play has more of a right to abbreviate to RP than roleplay

Though, their poll leans your way. :lol:

I know it's spelled differently on different sites; the Internet has a long history of doing stuff like this - e-mails and web-sites being two examples, and almost always it eventually leans toward combining them as a word: emails, websites. That's my reasoning for it, plus the fact that most people on here today use 'roleplay'.