Facilitating Nahel Bonds

ctonicmenace

Hello.

We know that to a Nahel Bond be formed we need a crack in the soul of the recipient. We also know that Shardblades cut directly through the soul. So, do you think it's possible to create the soul crack needed by the Bond in an unbroken person (let's say, Adolin) by cutting them in a non vital part with a Shardblade? Do you think the Knights Radiant would use of this method with potential recruits? It is harmless. Even if the applicant didn't become a Knight, a Truthwatcher or Edgedancer could heal them in no time. If they got to be a Knight, they could heal themselves. I don't see Windrunners using this tactic, but what do you think of the other orders, such as the Dustbringers? It WOULD be quite courageous to undergo this trial.

1 hour ago, ctonicmenace said:

We know that to a Nahel Bond be formed we need a crack in the soul of the recipien

That is not exactly true.  Jasnah believes it to be the case and there is some correlation but a recent WoB indicates this is not always true.

1 hour ago, ctonicmenace said:

So, do you think it's possible to create the soul crack needed by the Bond in an unbroken person (let's say, Adolin) by cutting them in a non vital part with a Shardblade?

An interesting and somewhat creepy idea.  However I don't think shardblades damage the spirit web.  I think they just cut it off from the body. 

Mistborn does ask and to some degree answer the question of what you can do by mutilating a spirit web.

Edited by Karger

Also, I think we overestimate what is needed for there to be a crack in the soul. Obviously all the main characters have crazy stories and their spirit we've are probably pretty damaged accordingly, but some of the lesser radiants are less likely to have this. We know bridge 4 is also likely to have cracks in their souls, but what about the other people they recruit? The light eyes and messenger women we learn about in oathbringer? None of them seem to have some crazy story, but they have at least become squires which makes me think they also have these soul cracks

3 hours ago, Nellac said:

Also, I think we overestimate what is needed for there to be a crack in the soul. Obviously all the main characters have crazy stories and their spirit we've are probably pretty damaged accordingly, but some of the lesser radiants are less likely to have this. We know bridge 4 is also likely to have cracks in their souls, but what about the other people they recruit? The light eyes and messenger women we learn about in oathbringer? None of them seem to have some crazy story, but they have at least become squires which makes me think they also have these soul cracks

Cracks in the spiritweb don't really require any trauma, it's more about emotional extremes.

If you've read Mistborn 

Spoiler

It's the same thing as snapping to gain allomancy which can, although it's not common, happen through positive emotions

4 minutes ago, Agent34 said:

Cracks in the spiritweb don't really require any trauma, it's more about emotional extremes.

Yeah, that makes sense. That's kind of the point I was trying to get across though. I don't think they would need to take as drastic an effort as cutting someone with a shardblade to create these cracks.

18 hours ago, Agent34 said:

If you've read Mistborn 

Hide contents

It's the same thing as snapping to gain allomancy which can, although it's not common, happen through positive emotions

So wait then [Mistborn]

Spoiler

If you Rioted someone's emotions on Roshar (perhaps with duralumin as well), would they become more susceptible to becoming Radiant?? :o

10 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

So wait then [Mistborn]

If you do something that extreme they will almost certainly recognize the emotion as unnatural and reject it.  If they don' then maybe but you are physiologically torturing someone so maybe don't do that.

Edited by Karger

3 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

So wait then [Mistborn]

Hide contents

If you Rioted someone's emotions on Roshar (perhaps with duralumin as well), would they become more susceptible to becoming Radiant?? :o

That's a fascinating question. Probably not, but I do see how "surgical" rioting and soothing could help someone attain the personal growth to progress further in a Nahel bond.

Edit: This is a tangent but I'm really just genuinely curious @Karger is the "physiological torture" your opinion on emotion allomancy in general or doing it on such a massive scale to make a crack in a soul.

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

• Chaos locked this topic