Adonalsium's nature

Eternal Khol

This is probably the most telling WoB on Adonalsium I've seen

Pod (paraphrased)

You said at the Starsight release that [Adonalsium] was intentionally preventing the spren from accessing Surges through fabrials and such pre-Shattering. Was this a passive or active effect?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

It was kind of both - the way [Adonalsium] worked was just that the way he saw the world was the way the world worked. He didn't want the spren to be able to do that, so they couldn't.

Pod (paraphrased)

So did [Adonalsium] want to die?

*makes face along with various non committal hmings*

Pod (paraphrased)

That at least gives credibility to the theory.

Yeah, it gives credibility to the theory.

Footnote: *I don't know how to describe the face - it definitely wasn't confirmation but it looked incriminating to me
American Fork High School Signing (Dec. 12, 2019)

so with Adonalsium, the way he saw things was the way things were. 

the spren couldn't access the surges because that's what adonalsium saw, so that's the way it worked.

so is this saying that whatever adonalsium wished to see, happened.? Like if there was nothing and he wanted to see a world, would it magically appears?

its like the chicken and egg theory. 

did adonalsium want to see something, so he did?

or did he see something that was already there and that's the way things were?

like the spren couldn't access the surges because he saw them that way? Or they already couldn't access the surges and he saw that so that became "law"

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

I was thinking of how the Cosmere, whether it was created by Adonalsium or not, is still a small cluster of stars in the vastness of space.

So if matter, energy and Investiture are all the same thing in the Cosmere

Are the edges of the Cosmere a giant prison for everything created inside?

I bet everything "Cosmere" would be bound inside its borders.

But what if non-Cosmere matter tried to enter?

Edited by Eternal Khol
Typo

34 minutes ago, Eternal Khol said:

what if Adonalsium and the 16 are just a piece of an even larger entity

I think there are wobs that day that Adonalsium was always Adonalsium etc but he did not deny the possibility of forces outside the cosmere. 

ok here:

Jeff (paraphrased)

Was Adonalsium’s power original to Adonalsium?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes. As far as anyone knows, there was no predecessor to Adonalsium. Good question.

dgenio8 (paraphrased)

If the force opposing Adonalsium is an entity like him/it (?), have we seen any magic that is related to this entity?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

No. All the magic you see come from the shards of Adonalsium.

claytonphillips

Before Adonalsium shattered, was it consciously opposed by something, be it people or another cosmic force? Is whatever opposed it still around?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Yes.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:21 PM, The Traveller said:

I think there are wobs that day that Adonalsium was always Adonalsium etc but he did not deny the possibility of forces outside the cosmere. 

ok here:

He did clarify that when he originally responded "yes" to there being a force opposing Adonalsium he could have meant a group of people, like the 16 vessels pre-ascension. Doesn't rule out a predecessor being or the force actually being a supernatural force, but it seems like he was trying to steer our theorizing away from that. 

Brandon Sanderson

Let's see... *reading written question aloud* "Can you tell me anything new about the force that opposed Adonalsium?"

*writes* "I would count groups of people as a force."

Okay? So, I'm not saying that that's what it is, but when people ask that question and leave a lot of wiggle room... because I would count groups of people as a force that opposed him. So, I have not confirmed it's a group or anything like that. The question has a lot of wiggle room.

Footnote: PatrickDiomedes' personalization
Arcanum Unbounded Hoboken signing (Dec. 3, 2016)

11 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

He did clarify that when he originally responded "yes" to there being a force opposing Adonalsium he could have meant a group of people, like the 16 vessels pre-ascension. Doesn't rule out a predecessor being or the force actually being a supernatural force, but it seems like he was trying to steer our theorizing away from that. 

That is why I specifically refrained from posting any wobs regarding forces that opposed him! I restricted myself to wobs that simply do not deny the possibility of outside forces, outside of cosmere. 

On 1/30/2020 at 6:42 AM, The Traveller said:

That is why I specifically refrained from posting any wobs regarding forces that opposed him! I restricted myself to wobs that simply do not deny the possibility of outside forces, outside of cosmere. 

Are you admitting to dissimulation & obfuscation? :P

That being said, more relevant WoBs here:

Questioner

Is the God Beyond, or the Unknown God, one of the Adonalsium Shardholders or is it another godlike entity?

Brandon Sanderson

You got [a RAFO card].

Footnote: The context around the question includes the questioner's interest in the RAFO cards, hence Brandon's "you got it" reply before handing him one.
Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

Chaos

You have once said, with regard to a question about Shards being the most powerful thing in the cosmere, that some would say that other "subtle forces" are being manifest. Are these subtle forces related to Adonalsium's opposition?

Brandon Sanderson

There is belief in a God who is not one of the Shards.

/r/books AMA 2015 (June 5, 2015)

Mestiv

Cosmere is a dwarf galaxy. Does Investiture exist in other galaxies? Do those galaxies have their own Adonalsiums?

Brandon Sanderson

That is beyond the scope... that's a RAFO, but not a RAFO I'm going to answer, that is a RAFO that we are concerned only with the cosmere.

Skype Q&A (Oct. 8, 2018)

the last one is, sadly, quite telling

or is it?

May I introduce you to this WoB:

Questioner

Has anyone, Shard or otherwise, tried to leave the Cosmere and will we see that on screen?

Brandon Sanderson

So far... yes, and I think yes, it's likely.

Footnote: Followup: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/379/#e13558
Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

The follow-up:

Gallumbazos

I've been wondering if we were going to leave the cosmere star cluster and see how things are beyond that, guess it's confirmed. Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Brandon Sanderson

"Tried to" is operative here.

General Reddit 2019 (Dec. 11, 2019)

Edited by Honorless

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2020 at 1:39 PM, Honorless said:

Questioner

Has anyone, Shard or otherwise, tried to leave the Cosmere and will we see that on screen?

Brandon Sanderson

So far... yes, and I think yes, it's likely.

Footnote: Followup: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/379/#e13558
Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

The follow-up:

Gallumbazos

I've been wondering if we were going to leave the cosmere star cluster and see how things are beyond that, guess it's confirmed. Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Brandon Sanderson

"Tried to" is operative here.

What just happened here?!! Is it really?! What!!

This could mean different things:

If it was a Shard the situations I’m imagining are A. The essence is tied to the Cosmere so they either started feeling weak or the power was fading B. A classic case of walking in a straight line and somehow ending up back where they started.

If it was a person, like Khriss, then there might be a limit to how far you can go in the Cognitive Realm or the area outside of the Cosmere is so barren that an expedition tried seeing if there was anything else and they ran out of supplies.

If it was Hoid then it was probably on a whim.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This section from Mythwalker rang Adonalsium in my head when I read it.

In Peters notes for Chapter 4 of Mythwalker, he states that the Emperor is the actual descendant of a God.

"The teachings of the priesthood said that the higher a being rose on the scale of divinity, the less ruled by instinct they became. The Emperor was the only human who actually transcended worldly desires, becoming a creature of pure thought with no feeling or emotion."

I feel like this is relevant to the whole "the way [Adonalsium] worked was just that the way he saw the world was the way the world worked." WoB

• Chaos locked this topic