Newbie here

HawkFan

Howdy!  I decided to search for a Stormlight Archive forum and found this.  I am still working my way to the end of Oathbringer and am eagerly awaiting book four.

I do have a question too: How would you define honorspren, like Syl is, and how do they differ from other spren?

15 minutes ago, HawkFan said:

I do have a question too: How would you define honorspren, like Syl is, and how do they differ from other spren?

First of all Welcome!

Second of all can you explain what you mean by "define?"  It would help.  Here is what I think what you are asking.  All spren native to roshar are created from bits of Honor and Cultivation's investiture that broke off and combined at various ratios.  When those bits gain a personality and identity you get a spren(bits of investiture left around gain some kind of intelligent naturally on their own).  Because each kind of investiture has its own "flavor" the different amounts of investiture give different personalities.   Honorspren like Syl have an extraordinarily high(perhaps the highest) quantity of Honor's investiture and the very little of Cultivation's.  Does this help?  Also avoid the SA threads.  They have spoilers for Oathbringer.

Edited by Karger

37 minutes ago, Karger said:

First of all Welcome!

Second of all can you explain what you mean by "define?"  It would help.  Here is what I think what you are asking.  All spren native to roshar are created from bits of Honor and Cultivation's investiture that broke off and combined at various ratios.  When those bits gain a personality and identity you get a spren(bits of investiture left around gain some kind of intelligent naturally on their own).  Because each kind of investiture has its own "flavor" the different amounts of investiture give different personalities.   Honorspren like Syl have an extraordinarily high(perhaps the highest) quantity of Honor's investiture and the very little of Cultivation's.  Does this help?  Also avoid the SA threads.  They have spoilers for Oathbringer.

Well, not all, since Adonalsium created Roshar and Honor & Cultivation arrived afterwards

@HawkFan, welcome to the Shard! 

1 hour ago, Karger said:

First of all Welcome!

Thank you.  That is what I was asking and it does help.

50 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

Welcome! 

Yeah, I was told not to come to the Shard after I had read the existing cosmere. I keep the same standard for anyone else that I invite to read Brandon Sanderson. 

Who is your favorite character in the SA and why?

Ironically I would say Syl is probably my favorite because she has a lot of spunk and personality.  Adolin is my favorite POV character.

It is also quite entertaining to read the chapters (as few as they are) for the young female radiant with the vine spren.  I don't remember her name.  I have read the short story involving her as well.

6 hours ago, HawkFan said:

Ironically I would say Syl is probably my favorite because she has a lot of spunk and personality.  Adolin is my favorite POV character.

It is also quite entertaining to read the chapters (as few as they are) for the young female radiant with the vine spren.  I don't remember her name.  I have read the short story involving her as well.

Her name is Lift. 
interesting choices. 
Welcome to the shard. Where are you at in your OB reading?