End of Cosmere Speculations

Adnan

As in the shards recombinding? That certainly is one possibility :-) do you think it will need a vessel, or will it be its own vessel? Also, do you mean all the main characters - or major characters - from different worlds meeting? I think Brandon mentioned that the emphasis isn't on characters crossing over in the end, but rather worlds and cultures. Some probably will, but I think it is unlikely that characters from every period on any given world will meet.

Uuh my bad I forgot the characters are from different time lines and I ment major characters not the main characters but I really wish they'd meet even if some are gray and while others are in their prime but that's just my opinion..ooh and I don't think Adolnasium needs a vessel 

I like the theory that there will be a point in whic there are four or five people controlling two or three shards, and then doing an epic battle with people from various magic systems fighting it out too. You could also have nightblood involved in it and that sword from Oathbringer (if you have read the book, you’ll know what I mean). 

So far I see three big shards: harmony, who controls two shards (again if you read a book, you’ll know what I mean. Otherwise, I think this isn’t a spoiler), autonomy, who is doing some funky stuff offscreen (offbook?), and odium who just loves splintering shards. Don’t know where Hoid would come into this, but I think a giant battle with a bajillion different magic systems interacting with one another would be so cool!

2 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

and that sword from Oathbringer (if you have read the book, you’ll know what I mean).

Do you mean Nightblood?

i think it will end with all of the Shards broken and all of the vessels dead.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

24 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

I think Koloss17 meant the other one. 

Hide contents

Azure/Vivenna's blade

1 hour ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Do you mean Nightblood?

i think it will end with all of the Shards broken and all of the vessels dead.

Neither, actually. I mean the “what is this death!!!!!” One.

I posted this in the "Wildest Cosmere theory" thread, and I still believe it:

I think Dalinar or Sazed will become the new Adonalsium.  Probably Dalinar, as I think the "Unite Them" refers to the Shards, not the Alethi or Rosharans or Honor's Shards in particular.  

I think Odium will find a way to kill Cultivation before the end, shattering her.  Dalinar will become Unity (Honor), and he will take up the pieces of Cultivation, Uniting them with Honor (Unity) to create something more powerful than Sayzed's Harmony, because his two pieces are not diametrically opposed.  Maybe he would be called "Community".  Binding and Growth combined.

Odium is going to be facing two Shards who have collected two Shards each, and so he will be scared.  I think Series two of Stormlight will be Odium finally deciding that if he is to beat them, he needs to combine shards.  I'm guessing the one that makes the most sense for him to take would be Ambition, since he already shattered that one.  He just needs to take its shards.  Odium and Ambition = Destruction?  Judgement?  That will be the end of the second series.  

The Third Mistborn will be a cosmic crossover, so I'm thinking Sayzed and Dalinar will try to figure out a way to separate Dominion and Devotion, and each will get one.  Dalinar will get Dominion, Sazed will get Devotion.  Dalinar will have Dominion, Cultivation, and Honor/Unity, and will become Authority.  Sazed will have Preservation, Ruin and Devotion, and will become Creation. 

Then its up to the other Shards at that point.  They'll all likely oppose Odium, but some may actually oppose Sazed and Dalinar.  

And as an addendum to my original thought, in the end, at the final scene, Dalinar is mortally wounded, Sazed is dying, Odium is shattering, all the other Shards are shattered, and Kelsior will walk up and snag them all and become Adonalsium.  

Edited by Tglassy

I’m almost thinking Adonalsium will be reunited before Mistborn Sci Fi, like at the end of Stormlight 10, starts but Dragonsteel will reveal why he had to be shattered to begin with, either evil or just plain making things worst, so the goal of the final Mistborn books will be about getting rid of him for good.

On 1/29/2020 at 0:49 PM, Draginon said:

I’m almost thinking Adonalsium will be reunited before Mistborn Sci Fi, like at the end of Stormlight 10

Brandon's said that he wants the books to be readable as self-contained works except for the 'conflux novels' which originally meant MB4 but more recently he's added the back half of Stormlight as well in terms of books where you'll have to be onboard with the Cosmere, so it's not impossible for major Cosmere-altering events to happen at the end of SA. That said, Adonalsium being reformed shouldn't be one of them since MB3 will take place after Stormlight and we know Harmony is still around then by implication.

It's an interesting idea through and I'm sure that whatever Dragonsteel reveals about Adonalsium and the cause of the Shattering is going to blow us away... and the fans being how we are, undoubtedly there will be someone here who guessed it correctly in advance even if it was only in a throwaway joke they never intended to be taken seriously. xD

10 hours ago, Weltall said:

Brandon's said that he wants the books to be readable as self-contained works except for the 'conflux novels' which originally meant MB4 but more recently he's added the back half of Stormlight as well in terms of books where you'll have to be onboard with the Cosmere, so it's not impossible for major Cosmere-altering events to happen at the end of SA. That said, Adonalsium being reformed shouldn't be one of them since MB3 will take place after Stormlight and we know Harmony is still around then by implication.

It's an interesting idea through and I'm sure that whatever Dragonsteel reveals about Adonalsium and the cause of the Shattering is going to blow us away... and the fans being how we are, undoubtedly there will be someone here who guessed it correctly in advance even if it was only in a throwaway joke they never intended to be taken seriously. xD

Maybe not 100% reformed but maybe mostly reformed, like if the Roshar Shards were taken by one person, the Sel ones somehow taken as well and the currently unknown and dead Shards as well, maybe all taken by Autonomy to make Adonalsium mostly back but not quite. I could see Autonomy doing this since they keep going to other worlds but doesn’t like anyone going to Taldain so what if they’re already doing this?

The cosmere, in this context defined as the galaxy itself, will end when the universe that the cosmere exists in collapses as gravity ocercomes the expansion of the universe, rips apart as the expansion of the universe exceeds the speed of light, or undergoes heat death.

Less literally, the cosmere as a series will most likely end in despair, bloodshed, and death as many factions each believe they are doing the right thing. 

The Cosmere will end with the Scadrians settling every world since their Shard Harmony doesn't seem to want to interfere in anything.

On a more serious note I think the Cosmere will end in either all the Shards splintered making magic localized to specific planets or all the Shards being bound to a peace treaty. So that the Shards can't get around this treaty they will have to swear oath forcing them not to break it.     

18 hours ago, Coda said:

Less literally, the cosmere as a series will most likely end in despair, bloodshed, and death as many factions each believe they are doing the right thing

The last bit I'll give you but the former just isn't very Sanderson-esque at all. No doubt people will die and there will be despair but considering the tone of the endings for the various sub-franchises to date (and most of the component books not named Shadows of Self) I can't see the ending as a whole being so grim..

On 1/22/2020 at 6:59 PM, Tglassy said:

I think Dalinar or Sazed will become the new Adonalsium.  Probably Dalinar, as I think the "Unite Them" refers to the Shards, not the Alethi or Rosharans or Honor's Shards in particular.

I share Tglassy’s speculation that Dalinar as Unity becomes the Vessel for all sixteen Shards. Vessels that hold more than one Shard unbalance the cosmere. Only Harmony can (barely) make it work. Once Vessels begin to bundle Shards, Unity becomes necessary. Plus I like the idea Vessels play a cosmere version of Survivor or Highlander. Here’s my narrative:

Ending – “Unite Them” vs. “Survival of the Fittest

It ends with Dalinar and Autonomy. Autonomy’s Avatars cast her Physical Realm dominion across a wide swath of worlds. IMO, unlike other Vessels Bavadin controls all Autonomy’s Investiture including their Avatars and Splinters. (I explain why in this post.)

I believe Bavadin is a shape-shifting Yolen dragon that, Khriss says, resides in Taldain’s Dayside sun. Taldain and First of the Sun both show Bavadin favors extreme “survival of the fittest” ecosystems. Their OB letter to Hoid confirms this attitude.

Bavadin searches the cosmere for more and more Avatars. Bavadin’s extreme ecosystems on more and more worlds endangers life in ways “pious/guiding” Dalinar may not tolerate. I see this as the “final conflict.” Not of good and evil but of contrasting worldviews: “Unite Them” vs. “Survival of the Fittest.”

On 2/1/2020 at 4:30 PM, Coda said:

Less literally, the cosmere as a series will most likely end in despair, bloodshed, and death as many factions each believe they are doing the right thing. 

Coda’s comment reminds me of this line from Shakespeare in Love, the 1999 Oscar winner for Best Picture:

Lord Wessex: “How is this to end?

Queen Elizabeth: “As stories must when love's denied: with tears and a journey.”

Poor Dalinar! Left all alone with no Navani. :(

Beginning – Ascension as Vessel for the Three Rosharan Shards

It starts on Roshar. Brandon has trolled Rayse may not survive SLA, but this may turn out true. Maybe Dalinar’s Challenge of Champions forces Odium into the open. Cultivation then smites Rayse, as the Stormfather foretells, revenge at last taken for Tanavast’s murder.

I predicted in “Cultivation’s Long-Term Plan” that with Tanavast dead and Odium defeated Cultivation’s Vessel will relinquish her Shard. I thought Navani might pick it up because of her interest in fabrials. But now I think Dalinar will take all three. IMO, Honor’s “primal force” makes Connections (voluntary bonds), Odium’s “primal force” breaks Connections (some cosmere repulsive force), and Cultivation changes Connections (to convert matter, energy, and Investiture into one another). As Vessel for these three Shards Dalinar can make them all work together to bring Roshar renewed growth.

Middle – Who Knows?

This is beyond my ability to even guess at. I suspect some Vessels may try to pick up Splintered Shards; some may try to kill other Vessels; and some may voluntarily relinquish their Shard to another Vessel.

Edited by Confused

I think the final scene will be Hoid either dying, deciding that the best way for him to unite with whoever he is trying to is to die...or it'll end with Hoid succeeding in bringing someone back from the dead. Elantris started with someone coming back from the dead, why not end the Cosmere that way? As to what role the Shards will play in that, I have no idea. 

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you make think it's a long through the Cognitive Realm from Nalthis to Roshar, but that's just peanuts to space.

We know that Adonalsium existed, and most likely created the cosmere. But what about the rest of everything? Is there any reason to believe that other Adonalsium's couldn't have formed in other places? I predict that Dragonsteel will end with the reveal that some Othernalsium led the plot against Adonalsium, with the future Vessels completely unaware of it.

This also gives us a potential bigest-bad for Mistborn Era 4. And stopping this Othernalsium could be Hoid's main motivation for reforming Adonalsium.

Edited by anna
Expanding on the idea after having more tea

38 minutes ago, anna said:

Is there any reason to believe that Adonalsium was the only one of its kind? I predict that the big-bad of Mistborn Era 4 will be another Adonalsium-tier being, and the only way to stop it is to reunite all the Shards of Adonalsium.

Brandon's said that everything in the Cosmere on that level of power is related to a Shard.

Questioner

Was the other god in Scadrial, Trell or whatnot, they're kind of mentioning him, does that imply there other really powerful beings out there outside of the Shards?

Brandon Sanderson

There are possibly really powerful beings, but… how should we say… *long pause* I mean, there are those who would call Hoid a very powerful being, who exist outside Shards, but if you're talking deific level things in the cosmere, they're all related to the Shards… Or demigod level.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)

Thanks to that WoB, the only way to get something on that power level independent of Adonalsium would be for something to come from outside the Cosmere. Somehow, I don't see the franchise ending on that note. Well, there's the idea of the God Beyond which could possibly be something on that scale but Brandon has been very clear that it will never be canonized beyond 'this is what certain people in-universe believe about it' so whether the God Beyond truly exists, much less how powerful it is or is not, will never be relevant to the stories.

More likely to me if there's some Cosmere-endangering threat (as opposed to lower-scale conflict when worlds come into contact) is that one of the reasons the Shattering happened in the first place comes up and has to be dealt with; We know some of the Vessels saw killing Adonalsium as a necessary action so we can't rule out that some of them thought that a living Adonalsium was more dangerous than not. If so this might possibly related to fainlife since that's one of the big things we have about Yolen right now and we.know it doesn't play nicely with the other half of the planet's ecology.

• Chaos locked this topic