Cool thing

Elsecaller_17.5

This says Shardbladds are more invested than the Bands of Mourning. That's cool!

Questioner

You've said that Shardblades can be made in other magic systems. So if it's not like a Shardblade from Roshar, what makes it a Shardblade?

Brandon Sanderson

The "Shard" refers to the heavy Investiture of a Shard of Adonalsium. Most of what you’ll see will see are the Roshar ones, but it is technically possible to make them out of the other magic systems. It's going to be a heavily invested magical weapon, is kind of how I would define it.

Questioner

So are the Bands [of Mourning] one?

Brandon Sanderson

I would not call them one, but they are close. They're not Invested enough.

Calamity Austin signing (Feb. 25, 2016)

That is all.

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

6 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Spren are tiny chunks of Investiture in and of themselves, and that doesn't change when they get manifested into a Blade. Hard to get much more Invested than that without being a Shard (or Nightblood, I suppose).

Tiny chunks.... exactly!! And hence my surprise.

The bands do not have to be super invested.  Remember with normal metalminds we are only making them with a tiny fraction of the investiture of one measly human soul.  It is not like we have any evidence that humans are super invested.  Just a bunch stronger then that would be noticeable.

Yea so although the bands grant powers of a fullborn and those powers are significant but in terms of pure investiture, shardblades are way above bands. And medallions will not even compare a tiny bit. 
What about fabrials and medallions then? Since fabrials have actual lesser spren trapped in them, they should have significantly higher levels of investiture as compared to medallions! 
But an oathgate has only a bonded spren type of deal and not an actual trapped spren, so in and of itself, oathgates have much less investiture ? but they require shardblades to function, but they don’t actually consume the shardblades so the use of shardblade is more of a security feature only. 

39 minutes ago, The traveller said:

What about fabrials and medallions then? Since fabrials have actual lesser spren trapped in them, they should have significantly higher levels of investiture as compared to medallions! 

Fabrials should, but their entire function is directing that Investiture into the outer world, potentially dispersing it some.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:36 PM, The Traveller said:

I am surprised ! Given the huge amount of powers bands were bestowing upon its holder, I am surprised that shardblades are more invested!? That would include dead eyes too right?

The bands of mourning are just pieces of metal that a human/humans added their own power too.

Shardblades are literally Honor's Investiture condensed so much it took the form of "metal"

Of course they're more powerful

Edited by Eternal Khol

1 hour ago, Eternal Khol said:

The bands of mourning are just pieces of metal that a human/humans added their own power too.

Shardblades are literally Honor's Investiture condensed so much it took the form of "metal"

Of course they're more powerful

Yup I realise that

On 1/22/2020 at 10:09 AM, The Traveller said:

Yea so although the bands grant powers of a fullborn and those powers are significant but in terms of pure investiture, shardblades are way above bands. And medallions will not even compare a tiny bit. 
But an oathgate has only a bonded spren type of deal and not an actual trapped spren, so in and of itself, oathgates have much less investiture ? but they require shardblades to function, but they don’t actually consume the shardblades so the use of shardblade is more of a security feature only. 

• Chaos locked this topic