How screwed am I? (Spoilers)

Dorodall

I started reading this over the last weekend and quickly made it through the first 1/3rd of TWoK.

Well, I decided I needed to do some research as I wasn't picking up on certain names, relationships, etc (I know, big mistake, only myself to blame, you know what comes next).

Needless to say I have run into a few spoilers on this site and others... namely...

• Kaladin summoning Syl as a shardblade & changing to a lighteyes and joining the honorguard (darn you Fandom) and something about a different version of him relating to Amaram
  • Elhokar's death (but not much context around it)
  • Dalinar/Navani marriage

The Kaladin one seems pretty big; I'm hoping I haven't blown the biggest surprise of the series. Just looking for reassurance as I really enjoy what I am reading. I guess I should have known better that the series has been out for a while and spoilers are pretty much littered about on any forum or Wiki.

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, RShara said:

While some of those are major events, there's definitely far more to the story than those facts without context.

Thanks, I know I just need to read and move on but thought I would gauge how big of a reveal those would be (i.e. does the whole series hinge on some of those things?); I know there are supposed to be a number of other books so obviously not in the long run but at least with the currently published titles.

@Dorodall  - first, welcome to the 17th Shard!!

I agree with @RShara that your 3 points are major but far from the whole story. BTW, good job putting "Spoilers" in the title of your thread!

If you hate spoilers as much as I do, IMO spend as little time as you can on the forums or Brandon's Reddit or anywhere else related to the cosmere. Everyone tries to be super-careful, but many of us read some of the books over 10 years ago & it's hard not to get excited & thus over-share. (Confession: I have even spoiled a (non-Brandon) book for MYSELF because I just couldn't stand it & opened a page near the end to scan for a character's name & the first paragraph I saw told how the whole plot resolved - arrrrggggh! I vowed, never again! :wacko:)

Edited by Lump-wing

The Kaladin stuff is the biggest given where you are in WoK and the series generally, but like RShara said you haven't 'blown the biggest surprise' and even though you know some of what will happen in the future, you don't know how or why they happen so even for those things you'll have more to discover. There's a reason that a character's catchphrase from one of Brandon's other books (There's always another secret) has been borrowed by the fanbase to describe his writing generally. :D

And have another welcome to the Shard!

While it sucks that you've spoiled a few things, just know that there are *many* more plot points you haven't been spoiled on. And there's a bunch of epic scenes you know nothing about.

If you were interested enough in the series to pick it up, I don't think knowing a few things that happen will really put a damper on your enjoyment.

Slight tangent about spoilers in general, i.e. my view on them. I have realized that knowing spoilers is the similar to having already read the book. That is to say, after I've read a book, I'm "spoiled" on rereads because I know what's going to happen. However, I highly enjoy rereads (especially Brandon's stuff) because I pick up on clues in the books earlier than you would think possible.

So cheer up, and be prepared for many things you *don't* know.

But really, if your still here, leave and don't come back until you've finished his books. The coppermind is pretty safe. The series specific forums should always be safe but sometimes people goof up (I've done it myself).

The Elothkar spoiler is the only one that makes me groan, it's really sad you found that out.

Happy reading, hopefully we'll see you in a few weeks/months!

Edited by Elsecaller_17.5

2 hours ago, Elsecaller_17.5 said:

he series specific forums should always be safe but sometimes people goof up (I've done it myself).

Caveat to this, the series-specific boards do not require spoiler tags/warnings for anything that's sufficiently old (ie it's been out for longer than six months) so the Stormlight board for example will have discussion for all three published books and there's about half a dozen topics on the first page whose titles alone are some degree of spoiler or another. So the series boards are safe... once you've finished all the published books.

On 1/23/2020 at 9:15 AM, Ricocheting Windrunner said:

I have a sister who always goes and reads the end of a book before reading it. I think she's crazy because that spoils the whole story before she started it. But she still enjoys reading so you'll probably be fine it just won't be as cool. 

I do that sometimes too! Depends on the book.

• Chaos locked this topic