Is Hoid Returned?

cris34b

Because he predates the Shattering, thus predates Endowment as a Shard.

I haven't read Liar so I don't know what information we have from it. Having said that, is it possible that he's a pre-shattering Yolish version of a Returned? Maybe that's how he got his start as a cosemere aware super player, and partly why he's so hard to kill. 

Hoid remarks somewhat... not sadly, but he remarks how easy it is for him to play music now that he has perfect pitch. It implies he learned how to play before he ever received Breath. If he were a Returned, all of his memories would be of him having enough Breath to have perfect pitch, so it doesn't really work. (Basically, what RShara said.)

I'd also guess that Hoid's hair is not dyed but is instead Lightweaved. The Yolish version doesn't "run out" like Surgebinding's version, from what I recall of Liar.

We also know that Hoid's foresight is due to Feruchemy, so while he could possibly be Returned with an incredible amount of jury-rigging (stored Feruchemical memories?), I highly doubt it.

Wait, when you say "Liar" are you talking about "Liar of Partinel"? That's supposed to be Hoid's origin story isn't it? I thought it wasn't published, have you read it?

I don't think Hoid would bother to Lightweave his hair when dyeing is simpler, more efficient, and needs less constant attention.

Ruffblade, you can read some of Brandon's unpublished works here:  http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/691-verified-locations-for-unreleased-bookschapters-and-sample-chapters-of-published-books/

Liar has a couple of parts so scroll down for the rest of it.

Thank you thats awesome, and to contribute to the discussion, Lightweaving he can reverse at will, dyeing would take more time to reverse, not to mention he clearly Lightweaves to change his appearance on Scadrial when he pretends to be Terris. As for being Elantrian it seems like it would be a lot of trouble to go through to intentionally become Elantrian when there really is no reason for it. I mean, what would being Elantrian do for him that he can't already do through other means?

He's just reached the Fifth Heightening, like all the Returned, right? The Returned are super powered immortal because they have one god-Breath that pushes them to the Fifth Heightening, which grants immortality +. Its in Warbreaker's Ars Arcanum. He doesn't necessarily have to have died and Returned to be immortal via Breaths. This is my assumption on the matter (I have a pet theory that Vivenna reached the Fifth as well and is world hopping with Zahel/Vasher). I don't know that the FIfth also grants form-shifting abilities like Returning does, but it's likely (Hoid is way overpowered anyways be's probably like the 11th Heightening just to be a butt).

Edited by theravenchilde

Thank you thats awesome, and to contribute to the discussion, Lightweaving he can reverse at will, dyeing would take more time to reverse, not to mention he clearly Lightweaves to change his appearance on Scadrial when he pretends to be Terris. As for being Elantrian it seems like it would be a lot of trouble to go through to intentionally become Elantrian when there really is no reason for it. I mean, what would being Elantrian do for him that he can't already do through other means?

Being an Elantrian gives him immortality (possibly?) and all the passive benefits that the Elantrians get. When you become an Elantrian, it's like you get Invested with a bunch of Devotion/Dominion's power. Or else you get a link to Devotion and it's like you're constantly burning metals, so you get a semi-permanent intake of Investiture. Hoid could find a use for that.

Plus: AonDor can be made to work on other planets, and it's easily one of the most powerful and versatile systems in the Cosmere. And Hoid, because he can Compound mental/physical speed, can bypass the main weakness of AonDor: the requirement to have time to draw symbols. The other requirement, being near Elantris, can be dealt with by powering the AonDor with a separate source, like... say... nicrosilminds he Compounded or stored up with Stormlight in a highstorm. He can draw a "create fireball" Aon in a thousandth of a second. Feruchemy and AonDor have some amazing synergy.

That said, I'm not at all convinced Hoid's an Elantrian. It needs Aonic blood, and he doesn't have that. He might have spiked someone to get that, but he doesn't seem the type to use Hemalurgy unless he received the spike from someone else. Being an Elantrian is possible, and I think Hoid would do it if he could, it explains his white hair... but it's still unlikely.

Edited by Moogle

• 1 year later...

At a guess: white hair? Hoid's pretty devoted to his cause, I imagine he could have manipulated events to get him turned into one, though without the Aonic blood, I doubt it would be easy.

I think there is WOB that Hoid failed to become an elantrian, but hung around elantris for a while

• 4 weeks later...

If somebody is in perfect health (via gold compounding perhaps) and was given a Divine Breath, would they get to keep it? I know that most of the time it's a one-off thing, but if Hoid gold compounded beforehand and Lightwove himself into looking like some link to a Returned's past (or just went to the area on the planet where Returned can be bought/sold to heal things), would he be able to hold it long enough to just...keep it? Make it his own? I don't really have any Realmatics for this, but it would explain a couple things without him being Returned.

• Chaos locked this topic