Rock’s ability to see spren.

KelStormblessed

Rock hasn't given any indication of being able to recognize Shardblades as dead spren. In fact, I can't seem to recall any scene with him handling a Shardblade, only Honorblade and the Grandbow. He wasn't even among the Bridgemen Kaladin brought to Zahel for training.

Looks like he'll become more prominent in the plot given recent developments in OB. We'll probably get more answers about him in Book 4 or 5 or in his planned novella.

Could be why his brother failed to get a Shardblade, because it screamed at him (The Unkalaki didn't have any Blade or Plate, so they wouldn't have known)

Good question! I didn't even think to ask that

Edited by Honorless

6 hours ago, KelStormblessed said:

Hey guys, first post!

Had a question, and couldn’t find the answer anywhere. We know Rock can see spren. Which implies he’s able to slip into the cognitive realm somewhat. Since he can see spren, does he recognize shardblades as dead spren? 

I dont think so. He can see spren that are pulled partially into this realm (which is how most Spren manifest) but when the become the blade they are get 100% manifested here in that actual physical form, so there wouldnt be any other form for him to see.   He's also sooo very polite to spren, I dont think he would have agreed to the quest to get a shardblade if he knew they were spren-corpses.  

7 hours ago, KelStormblessed said:

Hey guys, first post!

Had a question, and couldn’t find the answer anywhere. We know Rock can see spren. Which implies he’s able to slip into the cognitive realm somewhat. Since he can see spren, does he recognize shardblades as dead spren? 

He might be able to partially see into the cognitive realm, which is also been a theory for singers, due to the singer blood in the horneater ancestors.  

That said, I don't think he would be able to recognize a shardblade as a dead spren, because I would assume he would have mentioned it at some point due to his reverence.  

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

Could be why his brother failed to get a Shardblade, because it screamed at him (The Unkalaki didn't have any Blade or Plate, so they wouldn't have known)

I think his brother failed to get a shardblade because first he dueled for Shardplate, and likely no one would give him access to a blade. If he was able to borrow the King's blade, it likely has to do with not having any training with a Shardblade.

4 hours ago, Honorless said:

Rock hasn't given any indication of being able to recognize Shardblades as dead spren. In fact, I can't seem to recall any scene with him handling a Shardblade, only Honorblade and the Grandbow. He wasn't even among the Bridgemen Kaladin brought to Zahel for training.

Looks like he'll become more prominent in the plot given recent developments in OB. We'll probably get more answers about him in Book 4 or 5 or in his planned novella.

Good question! I didn't even think to ask that

Agreed. 

9 minutes ago, Impact said:

He 

might be able to partially see into the cognitive realm, which is also been a theory for singers, due to the singer blood in the horneater ancestors.  

That said, I don't think he would be able to recognize a shardblade as a dead spren, because I would assume he would have mentioned it at some point due to his reverence.

Now that I think about it, I agree. Similar to how Parshendi are also closer to cognitive realm they also have not realised that the shardblades are dead spren. 
Although Rock might be more close to CR than singers/ listeners.

Also welcome to the shard @KelStormblessed

Edited by The traveller

It might have something to do with Cultivation's Perpendicularity being the the Horneater Peaks. When Rock says he is alaii'ku it might be a biproduct of his proximity to the Perpendicularity that is allowing him to actually see and speak with Syl. 

Welcome and good question!  Shardblades don't manifest at all on the physical side unless summoned.  In every case that we know Rock only sees spren who have some kind of physical manifestation.  Deadeyes seem to be purely cognitive so he might not be able to see them.  That being said he does call them "blessed blades" so this might imply that the horneater people know something about them. 

15 minutes ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

Do we know why he can see spren in the first place?

I don't think we know for sure. Rock has been very secretive about his backstory. There's been speculation that this was a gift/boon that he received after swimming in the shardpool at the Horneater Peaks.

26 minutes ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

12 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

I don't think we know for sure. Rock has been very secretive about his backstory. There's been speculation that this was a gift/boon that he received after swimming in the shardpool at the Horneater Peaks.

It's because Horneaters are human/singer hybrids. Some are genetically closer to singers, and so can see spren like singers can. Rock even mentions almost being able to hear the Rhythms.

25 minutes ago, RShara said:

It's because Horneaters are human/singer hybrids. Some are genetically closer to singers, and so can see spren like singers can. Rock even mentions almost being able to hear the Rhythms.

I thought that not every horneater can see the spren! Rock is amongst those few who can....

42 minutes ago, Q10fanatic said:

Yes he mentioned something like the hot water lakes are normal water on the surface but after certain depth they are water of life. Gods live there and come to our world from there. 
So I think swimming at that depth in the shardpool somehow grants them the ability to see spren. 

31 minutes ago, The traveller said:

I thought that not every horneater can see the spren! Rock is amongst those few who can....

Which is why I said some are genetically closer to their singer ancestry and can see spren, while others who aren't as close, can't.

I really don't think that swimming in a perpendicularity would grant any abilities. I mean, people were pretty saturated with investiture at Thaylen City and that didn't do anything to them. Perpendicularities are just high concentrations of investiture, that allow you to transition. I don't think it affects your SDNA just by swimming in it.

Also, Rock never says that he swam in it.

4 minutes ago, Booknerd said:

Didn't he mentioned being in the water when he talked to the Horneater Trickster deity?

Hoid.  Apparently he has been using Cultivation's perpendicularity for so long that Horneater lore has picked up some stuff on him.

8 hours ago, RShara said:

I really don't think that swimming in a perpendicularity would grant any abilities.

Unless a spren was nearby and you were a parshendi...

10 hours ago, Kelsier'sGodComplex said:

In his chapter in oathbringer he says he has "special gifts and blessings" which many of us take to mean that he has a higher concentration of singer blood then most of his people.

15 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Unless a spren was nearby and you were a parshendi...

In his chapter in oathbringer he says he has "special gifts and blessings"

Makes me think of the thread about Horneater forms. Could they really have a gemstone and get different forms, be of them allowing you to see spren ? But may be their forms, unlike singer forms, are less potent and causes less outwardly changes to be very noticeable!?

Edited by The traveller

Just now, The traveller said:

Makes me think of the thread about Horneater forms. Could they really have a gemstone and get different forms, be of them allowing you to see spren ? But may be their forms, unlike singer forms, are less potent and causes less outwardly changes to be very noticeable!?

I personally think that Horneaters are like Ryshadium and instead of having forms just have some kind of rosharan adaptation.  Rock is for example stronger then any human should be and his brother did try and fight a man in shardplate...

19 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Rock is for example stronger then any human should be and his brother did try and fight a man in shardplate...

Which is an argument in favour of horneater forms as well. May be instead of going out in the highstorm, horneaters are selected to go swimming into the shardpool wherein they, then, bond with some spren granting them special abilities!

Just now, The traveller said:

Which is an argument in favour of horneater forms as well. May be instead of going out in the highstorm, horneaters are selected to go swimming into the shardpool wherein they, then, bond with some spren granting them special abilities!

I don't think they have forms. There's just not enough singer blood there. Rock can just barely barely hear the Rhythms, which the singers can even in dullform. He might have like, a splinter of a gemheart, but his spiritweb just isn't close enough to singer to form that sort of bond with a spren.

2 minutes ago, RShara said:

I don't think they have forms. There's just not enough singer blood there. Rock can just barely barely hear the Rhythms, which the singers can even in dullform. He might have like, a splinter of a gemheart, but his spiritweb just isn't close enough to singer to form that sort of bond with a spren.

It does not have to be a similar bond! It could be something different yet similar-ish. 
I also don’t think that horneaters would trap a spren in their gemheart or gemspilnter, seeing as how they worship them but their still could be some bond. 

12 hours ago, The traveller said:

Yes he mentioned something like the hot water lakes are normal water on the surface but after certain depth they are water of life. Gods live there and come to our world from there. 
So I think swimming at that depth in the shardpool somehow grants them the ability to see spren. 

So the gods Rock saw when in the pool is supposed to be Hoid. I remember seeing a WoB about it not too long ago. 

9 hours ago, RShara said:

Maybe some kind of lessor bond?

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

11 hours ago, The traveller said:

It does not have to be a similar bond! It could be something different yet similar-ish. 
I also don’t think that horneaters would trap a spren in their gemheart or gemspilnter, seeing as how they worship them but their still could be some bond. 

I really dont think they will be able to get actual physical Forms unless we get conformation that they have a nascent Gemheart.  And if that is the case, there would be every reason to expect it from the Herdazian's as well.  Arguably more so since their Singer blood is already manifesting as Gem/mineral body parts