Shardplated Edgedancers

So, I have a thought based on this wob:

DaddyMcLongLegs

Is the footwear for Plate a version of sabatons? Meaning, is it a form fitting armor over a boot? I ask because I was wondering how an Edgedancer would use Abrasion on the Shardplate they were wearing?

Brandon Sanderson

Shardplate as it is used by Shardbearers in the modern era of Roshar would interfere with Edgedancers moving like they do. (Yes, it does fit around the boot entirely.)

General Reddit 2019 (Dec. 20, 2019)

Could he be implying that the old Edgedancers could do it? Considering how a radiant's shardblade can take different forms, could the same be true of their armor? If so, Edgedancers could theoretically just remove the soles of their boots, allowing them to slide in armor?

7 hours ago, Brightlord M. Aelstrom said:

Considering how a radiant's shardblade can take different forms, could the same be true of their armor?

I agree. I think that shardplate is indeed flexible but to a smaller extent. We have already seen in Dalinar’s visions that the helmet got put on automatically and vanished automatically. 
We also see during the duel scene, how a helmet changed shaped to take cover the hand properly. 

2 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Didn't wearing Shardplate interfere with Lashing?

They couldn't lash *other* people's shardplates.  In the Starfall vision where Dalinar takes the place of the (Stoneward?) Radiant, the Windrunner who is powering the flight is wearing Shardplate, I believe.  

1 minute ago, Impact said:

They couldn't lash *other* people's shardplates.  In the Starfall vision where Dalinar takes the place of the (Stoneward?) Radiant, the Windrunner who is powering the flight is wearing Shardplate, I believe.  

the Radiant Plate is Identity-keyed somehow, so it can really only be Invested by its owner, as far as we are currently aware. Presumably this extends to not just Lashings, but other Surges Radiants used on themselves, such as Abrasion, Illumination, and maybe Transportation. We don't currently know if Plate can exist in the CR because we don't know if it's solid Stormlight, lesser Spren, or something else entirely. We also don't know if PR Transportation is something an individual Radiant could do, or if that was limited to Oathgates.

7 minutes ago, Bearer of Agonies said:

the Radiant Plate is Identity-keyed somehow, so it can really only be Invested by its owner, as far as we are currently aware.

It's the same reason why Renarin had to remove his gauntlet to use the Surge of Progression, the armor was not his originally therefore he couldn't transfer the power through it. In Dalinar's visions too, where he is facing the night creatures, the female Radiant was able to heal him with her Shardplate on. 

In one of Dalinar's flashbacks we actually see a plated Edgedancer using abrasion to move through the purelake without slowing down.  Dead plate interferes with Radaint abilities because it is not keyed to their identity.  However your own plate is keyed to your own identity and so does not interfere.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

Radiant's can use their own surges through their own Plate, so they could still use the Surge over it the same way they do with normal clothing.  And separately, plate does adjust to the wielder (it rehapses to fit and flexes some amount for movement) but just like blades I think it's safe to assume that "living" plate would do so faster and with more extreme changes to keep the armor from inhibiting their movement, the same way the lving shardbaldes can reshape a whole lot more than dead ones, though both do some adjusting.  

I think that was a Dustbringer, Karg. I read that as benefits of having a Shardplate or a living Shardplate 

Hmm, okay that sounds reasonable. But the resistance can't be too much since the Windrunner was able to lash the other Radiant or there is a way to overcome it, possibly simply more Investiture expensive (whose plate colour I've forgotten, except remembering that it wasn't one of the Orders with the Surge of Progression, so she probably had a fabrial)

Hope we get to see Shardplate manifestation soon

4 minutes ago, Honorless said:

I think that was a Dustbringer, Karg. I read that as benefits of having a Shardplate or a living Shardplate 

Hmm, okay that sounds reasonable. But the resistance can't be too much since the Windrunner was able to lash the other Radiant or there is a way to overcome it, possibly simply more Investiture expensive (whose plate colour I've forgotten, except remembering that it wasn't one of the Orders with the Surge of Progression, so she probably had a fabrial)

Hope we get to see Shardplate manifestation soon

During the flight part of the vision, the Windrunner tells Dalinar that he (the other radiant) had to remove his (her) armor to be lashed

20 minutes ago, Honorless said:

A single point of contact?

Oathbringer page 352

He shouted "You haven't summoned your armor yet; you had to dismiss it so I could Lash you"

There is a WoB that explains it, but I am having trouble recalling the wording to locate it on the Arcanum

Edited by Pathfinder

On 1/16/2020 at 10:37 PM, Pathfinder said:

Oathbringer page 352

He shouted "You haven't summoned your armor yet; you had to dismiss it so I could Lash you"

There is a WoB that explains it, but I am having trouble recalling the wording to locate it on the Arcanum

On 1/16/2020 at 10:38 PM, Impact said:

Not sure what you mean.  The whole set was off

Thanks! I only recalled the Radiants' appearance from the Vision from the peasant's perspective  

Edited by Honorless
edited for clarity

Still trying to find the wording for the WoB that just explains the whole thing but it works like this.

Normal person with dead shardplate. surges of anyone will be difficult to use on it

knight radiant wearing dead shardplate. surges of anyone, radiant wearing it and all, will be difficult to use on

knight radiant wearing living own radiant's armor. the surges of that specific knight radiant works within, on and outside the armor no problem. Anyone else's surges would be difficult to use on it

The reason is that in dead shardplate, the identity of the armor is not tied to the wearer, regardless whether the person wearing it is a normal human, or a radiant, because the original knight radiant who own the armor is dead and gone. If a radiant has its own living radiant shardplate, its identity is connected to that radiant, so it does not interfere with that specific radiant's surges. If another radiant attempts to use surges on that radiant's living armor, there will be interference, because that armor is not identity connected to that other radiant. So the armor will need to be dismissed for surges of another radiant, to be used on the individual. 

An example of this is regarding mistborn spoilers below:

Spoiler

how metal minds are keyed to specific feruchemists. Another feruchemist cannot access that feruchemist's storage because it is not identity keyed to him or her. 

Edited by Pathfinder

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

The other Radiant had not summoned their armor yet but kept it dismissed so that it would not interfere.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

4 hours ago, GoWibble said:

Well, Living Shardplate is much different than dead. Some orders could work through their shardplate (i think something like Lightweavers)

All orders should be able to work through their own at least.

• Chaos locked this topic