Channelknight Fadran

Question

The first Sanderson book I read was Skyward, and I came to find a natural liking for his protagonists as well as the mysterious race known as the Krell.

In Starsight, we learn that the KRELL are actually another race, but that's a different matter.

What bothers me is when I recently started reading Arcanum Unbounded and Sixth of the Dusk. According to The Coppermind, the krell in that story are different than those in Skyward and Starsight. However, knowing Sanderson's writing, he rarely does things just for fun. Do you think this could mean that he's trying to introduce Skyward and Starsight into the Cosmere?

Just a little further piece of evidence: The Krell in Sixth of Dusk are beach creatures, and the KRELL in Starsight turn out to be crablike things in suits of armor.

7 answers to this question

As a general point for you to bear in mind in the future, if Earth appears in one of Brandon's books, it is not set in the Cosmere. Brandon has said that it causes too many problems for any version of Earth to be included, even a really funky alternate Earth.

And welcome to the Shard!

Skyward isn't in the Cosmere, and will not be in the Cosmere:

Oversleep

At first [Skyward] was supposed to be in the cosmere. Were there any reasons you pulled it out of it besides not wanting to deal with spacefaring era of Cosmere yet?

Where was the planet supposed to be in the cosmere? Would it have had a Shard or would it have been a minor Shardworld?

Brandon Sanderson

When Spensa started life in my brain, she was late cosmere pilot character, from around Era Four. When I started to work on this as my next YA project, I decided I wanted to use a certain technological aspect from a story I'd previously worked on--something I touched on in a novella, but which was still very interesting to me all these years later. But it was something that did not work with cosmere technology, so it was a natural fit to port Spensa over to this new story.

It wouldn't have been planetary-based if it had been in the cosmere. Mostly, it was Spensa as a character. Once the story started transforming into a girl and her spaceship, the cosmere ties got severed quickly.

the aliens in sixth of the dusk are not krell. it is assumed that they are future inhabitants from scadrial (the setting of the mistborn books), though that's not confirmed. anyway, they are humans, and skyward universe is not the cosmere.

the word "krell" also appear in sixth of the dusk, referring to some undescript animals that apparently form the base of the food chain around the pantheon islands. that's clearly a coincidence, as not only they are in a different universe, they are not even sapient.

18 minutes ago, Channelknight said:

Thanks all! I'm a little new to this stuff, so... yeah.

No problem.  I personally would not have started on Arcanum Unbound.  It kind of ties everything else together.  I would recommend staring with Mistborn The Final Empire.

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

Here:

OrangeJedi

She noticed that the race in Skyward that the people are fighting are Krell, and that there are krell in Sixth of the Dusk.

Brandon Sanderson

That is not a direct connection. It's just, the Krell are a race of aliens from Forbidden Planet, one of my favorite classic science fiction movies, and I'm just doing it in Skyward as an homage to that. Krell in Sixth of the Dusk is just me looking for a thing that sounds like the right name for the thing.

OrangeJedi

So they're completely unrelated?

Brandon Sanderson

Completely unrelated. Other than the fact that I've watched Forbidden Planet, like, six times.

The Great American Read: Other Worlds with Brandon Sanderson (Oct. 25, 2018)