Solid Investitures

Channelknight Fadran

Question

10 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, Channelknight said:

t's my understanding that all solid Investitures turn out to be metals. However, does that mean all soulstamps have to be made of metal? What about the sands from Taldain? I'd like some opinions, because this is a matter I'm unsure about.

Soul Stamps aren't made out of solid Investiture, they stamp design is a conduit for the Investiture. As for Taldain, the sand is actually a covered with a microscopic organism that metabolizes Investiture and when full of Investiture they turn white. 

2 minutes ago, StanLemon said:

Soul Stamps aren't made out of solid Investiture, they stamp design is a conduit for the Investiture. As for Taldain, the sand is actually a covered with a microscopic organism that metabolizes Investiture and when full of Investiture they turn white. 

Well...

That was fast.

Thanks! :D

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

right, in the currently published books, I think the only definitive examples we have of solid investiture are atium, lerasium, shardblades, honorblades, and maybe shardplate

Also shardpool liquids and sort of Nightblood.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Also shardpool liquids and sort of Nightblood.

shardpool liquids are liquid, and hence not solid :P.  but i did consider mentioning nightblood.  I'm not certain if he counts or not, because presumably he was made of ordinary metal, then infused with a ton of investiture, but whether he would qualify afterwards I don't know.  there is probably a WoB on it somewhere, but if so I don't remember the answer.

16 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

shardpool liquids are liquid, and hence not solid :P.  but i did consider mentioning nightblood.  I'm not certain if he counts or not, because presumably he was made of ordinary metal, then infused with a ton of investiture, but whether he would qualify afterwards I don't know.  there is probably a WoB on it somewhere, but if so I don't remember the answer.

I had to rethink this, but I don't think that NB is solid Investiture other than the fact that he is Awakened. He eats up the Investiture and starts the process of making a weird cycle of it back into Investiture. That being said, there had to be metal before he could be Awakened, so he is not fully Investiture. 

24 minutes ago, GoWibble said:

I had to rethink this, but I don't think that NB is solid Investiture other than the fact that he is Awakened. He eats up the Investiture and starts the process of making a weird cycle of it back into Investiture. That being said, there had to be metal before he could be Awakened, so he is not fully Investiture. 

yea, that was sort of my thought process.  unless the vast concentration of investiture changed his physical properties enough that he'd count which...i mean he can block a shardblade so maybe.

Questioner

This actually came out of a panel today. You'd originally said that Nightblood is way more powerful than a regular Shardblade, but at the time that question was asked of you we didn' know about live Shardblades, we only knew about dead Shardblades. So is that still true, now that we know we have at least two--

Brandon Sanderson

Oh he is more powerful than a regular Shardblade. *groaning and laughter* that is 100% still true.

How does Nightblood compare to a more living Blade?

Brandon Sanderson

More living Blade? Hehe, you’re asking the same--

No I'm asking a different question. *laughter*

Brandon Sanderson

Well, let's just RAFO that one.

JordanCon 2016 (April 23, 2016)