Stormlight ebook size

Stefano

I just downloaded stormlight trilogy from kobo books, and I noticed that it took very long to donwload.

I checked and... over 200MB?!?

How is it possible? Is there a bug, or are those 3 books that huge? We are speaking about the size of 100 average ebooks!

Is kindle or any other digital version this big?

I analysed it:

epub filesize is 254,3mb

unpacked size is 288,6mb

there are 262,7mb of image files :huh:

repacked book without images is 5,4mb

There is a set of >1mb high res color images, that's insane! I can't understand the meaning of putting 250 mb of images in an ebook intended for being read on a 6" b/w kobo -.-' 

16 hours ago, Stefano said:

There is a set of >1mb high res color images, that's insane! I can't understand the meaning of putting 250 mb of images in an ebook intended for being read on a 6" b/w kobo -.-' 

Most of the images in the books are monochrome, so I don't see any trouble.

1 hour ago, mathwin said:

Most of the images in the books are monochrome, so I don't see any trouble.

That's exactly the problem: almost all images are 24bit (16million colors), even if they are displayed in monochrome!

This is an example of 1an image uselessly 1,5MB big:

https://ibb.co/cNt79F2

I have around 200 ebooks, and none of them is bigger than 10mb for monochrome ones, 30mb for color ones with lots of images

Just look at my library:

https://ibb.co/q5t2KMZ

Something is definitely wrong with kobo version of this book...

4 hours ago, mathwin said:

If you're worried about size considerations and you're able to unpack the archive, why not convert all of the images to grayscale in photoshop and scale them down to your reader's screen size, then repack the archive?

I'm not worried, I'm perplexed

I already have the books in 6mb file format each, I just cannot understand kobo book being that huge, I've never seen a work done so bad

• Chaos locked this topic