Physical requirements of the Fused

Oltux72

Question

3 answers to this question

We dont actually know, mostly because we havent yet seen details of how they fuel any of their ability, so tehy could be directly sustained by Odium at this point.  On the other hand, it's been described as a severe form of the Spren Forms of a Singer, and in those cases they always still need to support the physical needs of the Singer body.  On the other other hand, it actually evicts the Soul of the original, so maybe they are sustained more like a Lifeless?  Even those degrade/rot over time, though Odium doesnt seem much interested in their longevity so they may have always been designed for the short term use of host bodies.   

Separately, Im not actually clear on whether normal, non-Returned people of the Fifth Heightening still need to eat since they are said to be functionally immortal too.  The Returned not needing food could be an extension of the 5th Heightening immortality rather than their Cog Shadow nature. 

14 minutes ago, Quantus said:

We dont actually know, mostly because we havent yet seen details of how they fuel any of their ability, so tehy could be directly sustained by Odium at this point.  On the other hand, it's been described as a severe form of the Spren Forms of a Singer, and in those cases they always still need to support the physical needs of the Singer body.  On the other other hand, it actually evicts the Soul of the original, so maybe they are sustained more like a Lifeless?  Even those degrade/rot over time, though Odium doesnt seem much interested in their longevity so they may have always been designed for the short term use of host bodies.   

Separately, Im not actually clear on whether normal, non-Returned people of the Fifth Heightening still need to eat since they are said to be functionally immortal too.  The Returned not needing food could be an extension of the 5th Heightening immortality rather than their Cog Shadow nature. 

There are passagaes from Kaladin and/or Szeth where they mention not needing to breath while holding stormlight.  and we know from ferruchemy that investiture can substitute for at least some nutritional needs.  its entirely possible that if the fused have a driect line ot Odium's investiture that that alone is sufficient to sustain their bodies.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:58 AM, Dunkum said:

There are passagaes from Kaladin and/or Szeth where they mention not needing to breath while holding stormlight.  and we know from ferruchemy that investiture can substitute for at least some nutritional needs.  its entirely possible that if the fused have a driect line ot Odium's investiture that that alone is sufficient to sustain their bodies.

Precisely.  It is entirely possible for a person's physical needs to be supported by Investiture, and to me it feels more likely when you are talking about a Cognitive Shadow that is possessing a physical host-form.  That being said it would be kind of a perk (rather than a core function) and not guaranteed by any means, so for now I think it could go either way with the Fused.  I could see them needing to support their hosts normal needs for air and heat and food/water, but I could also see their possession bypassing those needs and fueling them with Investiture that is sourced in Odium.  I could also see it being both and neither, with the fused seeing the Singer body as an entirely disposable Sleeve that they should be maintaining but may not always bother with (particularly the extra-crazy ones).

Edited by Quantus
grammar...