Lightsabers and Shardblades/plate

Sheev Palpatine

Question

4 answers to this question

Questioner

IF they were to fight with a lightsaber and a Shardblade, which would be able to cut through the other?

Brandon Sanderson

Depends on who’s world you're in, that's what I would say. Is Lucas writing it or am I?

Questioner

Well say you are writing it, since we're--

Brandon Sanderson

If I'm writing it I say they bounce off of each other.

I don't know about plate though:-)

I imagine that if in Brandon's head a Shardblade and a lightsaber block each other without the one damaging the other, that a lightsaber would have the same effect on Plate as a Shardblade does: It'll damage and eventually destroy sections of the Plate with repeated hits but it won't cut through it.

2 hours ago, Sheev Palpatine said:

Could a Shardblade/Shardplate block a Lightsaber? I know that certain metals can block lightsabers but i was wondering if a shardblade/plate could as well.

Aha a question for which my expertise is called!  A lightsaber is a beam of ionized plasma contained in a force field.  We have seen shardplate block energy attacks(Adolin on the shattered plains).  This indicates that plate can resist the kind of damage that a saber can do and so most likely would be able to survive a number of hits before cracking.  Against a shardblade would actually be much more dangerous as neither party could parry the other.  Shardblades can go directly through what is in state of matter closer to a liquid but the saber would not be damaged by the event.