Interesting Trend I Recently Noticed

Harrycrapper

Pretty much all of the main character Radiants have one similarity; they had siblings that were proto Radiants. For most of them, that sibling was a big part of their motivation/mindset that leads them to become Radiants.

Kaladin: Tien was confirmed to be a proto Lightweaver and Kaladins inability to save him was quite obviously a huge part of his fight to save Bridge 4.

Dalinar: Gavilar was a potential Bondsmith candidate and was receiving the same visions the Stormfather later sent to Dalinar. Dalinar's inability to save him led him on his path to unify Alethkar.

Shallan: Helaran was attempting to join the Skybreakers, his abandonment and eventual death to Kaladin is what sent Shallan on her quest for truth.

Venli: Eshonai was definitely on her way to bonding Timbre and the callous way Odium & Co treated her death and her people was a big part of what set her on whatever path she is on now(we'll obviously know more about that come next November).

Jasnah: Elhokar was just so close to becoming a Lightweaver(and earning our respect as readers) when his untimely death occurred. This one is the stretch in my examples here, but I have a feeling his death leading to Jasnah's ascension to the throne will be a big part of her future POV chapters.

Now I'm not sure if Brandon is trying to do something with this, but 5/10 of our main protagonists having such similar situations cannot be a coincidence. I wouldn't be surprised if when we get Lyft and Szeths POVs, they have a proto-Radiant relative in their life that has a massive impact on their motivations as characters. Renarin and the two Heralds are the odd ones out, but who knows what their POVs will contain? Maybe Adolin will die on the verge of becoming a Radiant. 

This isn't the WoB I was looking for but its ok.

JoyBlu

Both Tien and Kaladin are Radiant, you talked about how that wasn't hereditary, and how that was more because of where they were with association. Was it because they were associated with the same person, or the same place?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Connection influences spren.

JoyBlu

Right, but was the Connection to a person that they were around?

Brandon Sanderson

Connection to people.

JoyBlue

So not necessarily the place where they were?

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Joyblu

Because my way of thinking it might be with the people is because, like with the Purelake on the Cognitive Realm there would be more spren hanging out there because that was more land, right; so if you spent more time on that you would have more spren around you. So if you're closer to more water, you're closer to more spren.

Brandon Sanderson

That is not an irrelevant observation.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

Basically if a spren checks someone out other spren want to come see what's going on and end up bounding to someone close to the original radient.

On 1/10/2020 at 6:56 PM, Truthwatcher_17.5 said:

This isn't the WoB I was looking for but its ok.

JoyBlu

Both Tien and Kaladin are Radiant, you talked about how that wasn't hereditary, and how that was more because of where they were with association. Was it because they were associated with the same person, or the same place?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, Connection influences spren.

JoyBlu

Right, but was the Connection to a person that they were around?

Brandon Sanderson

Connection to people.

JoyBlue

So not necessarily the place where they were?

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

Joyblu

Because my way of thinking it might be with the people is because, like with the Purelake on the Cognitive Realm there would be more spren hanging out there because that was more land, right; so if you spent more time on that you would have more spren around you. So if you're closer to more water, you're closer to more spren.

Brandon Sanderson

That is not an irrelevant observation.

Skyward release party (Nov. 6, 2018)

Basically if a spren checks someone out other spren want to come see what's going on and end up bounding to someone close to the original radient.

Ah I get it, it's kinda like on Amazon where they suggest they buy things similar to the thing you're looking at. "Spren have also considered bonding this human, would you like to add it to your cart?"

50 minutes ago, Harrycrapper said:

Ah I get it, it's kinda like on Amazon where they suggest they buy things similar to the thing you're looking at. "Spren have also considered bonding this human, would you like to add it to your cart?"

It is more of a this Spren liked humans from this family.  Would you also like to review this one?

• Chaos locked this topic