Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wintersu

Stormlight Book 4 update 7

22 posts in this topic

He made a comment in the replies about Rock’s story:

It would still need to be written. There wasn't room for it in book four, and it wouldn't really fit thematically anyway. If I don't manage to do it as a novella between four and five, I think I can make it fit in five thematically, so we'll put it there”

Edit: I really wanted Rock’s story in the Horneater peaks. I respect his decision, but I’ll miss it

Edited by Wintersu

It's interesting to me that the Rysn Novella is apparently a higher priority to him than the Rock one. Like Aimia is real interesting and I'd love to learn more about, but I don't see it being as directly relevant to current storyline as Rock and the Horneater Peaks, and thus I would think that one would be the priority. 

Which suggests that maybe I'm wrong about Aimia not being directly relevant to RoW's storyline, which is exciting in it's own way.

10 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

It's interesting to me that the Rysn Novella is apparently a higher priority to him than the Rock one. Like Aimia is real interesting and I'd love to learn more about, but I don't see it being as directly relevant to current storyline as Rock and the Horneater Peaks, and thus I would think that one would be the priority. 

Which suggests that maybe I'm wrong about Aimia not being directly relevant to RoW's storyline, which is exciting in it's own way.

I agree. When we very first heard about the three storylines, Aimia was briefly thrown around as an idea (including by myself) but also quickly discarded. Not that this proves that Aimia will be a focus of Rhythm, but shows that it’s more important than we realized

Another potential implication of this decision, I think, is that Rock could very well be a Bondsmith. I had him pegged more on the Stoneward side, but his story being saved for the spot that was a Bondsmith book makes me think that’s likely

For what it’s worth, I think that there will be some serious Bondsmithing in Book 5, just like we got a major look under the hood of the Skybreakers in Oathbringer 

So OB had a "focus" on Urithiru, Thaylenah, and Kholinar (past and present); RoW might have a focus on the Singer homeland if you will, Alethkhar, Aimia, Iri, and the Reshi isles? Then Book 5 would "focus" on Shinovar and the Horneater Peaks? Meh, just spit-balling. 

Perhaps we get another oathgate opened and a valuable resource on Aimia?

Just now, Ookla the Prolific said:

Perhaps we get another oathgate opened and a valuable resource on Aimia?

Oh that's a good idea!

Maybe humans figure out Half-shards completely, leading to a breakthrough that could wake up the sibling? In return, the Voidbringers launch a dangerous mission to Aimia, in order to find and/or use whatever resource is there?

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

Oh that's a good idea!

Maybe humans figure out Half-shards completely, leading to a breakthrough that could wake up the sibling? In return, the Voidbringers launch a dangerous mission to Aimia, in order to find and/or use whatever resource is there?

I would figure the opposite. Odium's side has innovated in form of the Everstorm. The Radiants need R & D, specifically weapons research. Parts of their operations are forced upon them, such as a delaying fight in Herdaz and Navani doing research on fabrials. But that is not all they will do. They can physically search for new opportunity. One of the options is Aimia.

I am also pretty sure that Jasnah knows something.  She claimed to be certain that the oathgate was destroyed.  Perhaps she orders the mission to help her mother with historical research into fabrial science?

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

I would figure the opposite. Odium's side has innovated in form of the Everstorm. The Radiants need R & D, specifically weapons research. Parts of their operations are forced upon them, such as a delaying fight in Herdaz and Navani doing research on fabrials. But that is not all they will do. They can physically search for new opportunity. One of the options is Aimia.

I'd usually agree, but since the synopsis states that "the enemy prepares a bold and dangerous operation," in this case I'm inclined to think it's the Voidbringers going to Aimia, Venli is able to warn the Radiants, and the Radiants follow in order to stop them. 

I'm a little disappointed that we won't be getting the Rock novella yet, but not too disappointed since I find Rysn intriguing as well. Since she has a ship now, I wonder if she'll be leading some sort of expedition to Aimia?

Probably. Hopefully she learns from Kaza's mistake and makes sure her cook isn't secretly a thousand cremlings in a trenchcoat. And then makes sure that the cook isn't planning on murderating her for any other reason. 

Yay!!! Finally!!! And I can't wait for the novella about Amia! I've heard somewhere (it was a while ago) that it'd potentially be called Wandersail. Rysn isn't my favorite character, but I don't mind her. And from what we already know, Amia is really interesting and I'm very excited to learn more. So yay!

If they do get to Aimia they should bring a Radiant with them even if for only the possibility of an oathgate.  Which Radiant is the most likely do you think?  I think we can safely rule out Jasnah, Dalinar(political responsibilities) Teft, Kaladin(Training responsibilities), Shallan(she just got married), and Venli(she is still evil as far as team Radiant knows) but that still leaves plenty of candidates to choose from.

24 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

If they do get to Aimia they should bring a Radiant with them even if for only the possibility of an oathgate.  Which Radiant is the most likely do you think?  I think we can safely rule out Jasnah, Dalinar(political responsibilities) Teft, Kaladin(Training responsibilities), Shallan(she just got married), and Venli(she is still evil as far as team Radiant knows) but that still leaves plenty of candidates to choose from.

The Lopen anyone?

1 minute ago, Nathrangking said:

The Lopen anyone?

I love Lopen but I don't want to overdose. 

41 minutes ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

I love Lopen but I don't want to overdose. 

I dunno. I would be really intrigued if a Lopen POV revealed that the way he thinks/talks to himself in internal dialogue is nothing at all like how he talks to everybody else.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 6:42 PM, Wintersu said:

Another potential implication of this decision, I think, is that Rock could very well be a Bondsmith. I had him pegged more on the Stoneward side, but his story being saved for the spot that was a Bondsmith book makes me think that’s likely

You know, I never made the connection before reading your comment, but 'I will unite instead of divide Stormfather, I will bring men together," sounds EXACTLY like what Rock does with Bridge 4.  (Especially with the stew.)

Throw in him being the (probable) de facto ruler of the Peaks, and you have serious Bondsmith potential.

13 hours ago, robardin said:

I dunno. I would be really intrigued if a Lopen POV revealed that the way he thinks/talks to himself in internal dialogue is nothing at all like how he talks to everybody else.

We had those in Oathbringer.  He is actually quite self aware and very well actualized.

I would think the bold and dangerous operation is seizing Urithiru. Odium asked Taravangian what the Alethi know "about this tower" at the end of OB. 

If they take the Oathgates' central hub they cut the coalition forces off from each other. (Until our heroes discover something new about Urithiru or the Oathgates that lets them get around that in Part 5 :) ).  

Of course, they could attack Urithiru by opening an abandoned Oathgate, like the one in Aimia. In OB, Odium orders a Thunderclast to break the Oathgate in Thaylen City. He says they can repair it later if they need to. Even if Aimia's Oathgate it may be repairable. 

On 1/14/2020 at 0:40 PM, Child of Hodor said:

I would think the bold and dangerous operation is seizing Urithiru. Odium asked Taravangian what the Alethi know "about this tower" at the end of OB. 

The only worthwhile targets that we know of that Odium's forces have to go after are Urithiru and the 10 oathgate cities.  Of those cities he already has 4 Alethkar, Riri, Iri and Babatharnam so they can obviously be ruled out.  I am also going to rule out the Shin gate because it seems that the Shin book is book five and because it is in an extraordinarily hard to reach area.  This leaves the shattered plain, Azir, Aimia, Thaylenah, and Vadenar.  This gives us 6 possibilities unless I missed something(which is obviously possible).  Nutr

• Neutralizing Urithiru is of course a top priority for the void forces but even with just a skeleton force there it is difficult terrain.
  • If the Vaden gate was taken that would be a major blow to Dalinar's alliance as it would cut off the allied forces breaking their territory in a half.  Additionally Odium has a large reliable competent force of humans in that nation thanks to Mr. T and the nation's manpower would be dangerous if mobilized by an enemy.
  • We have no real understanding of what is going on in Aimia but people don't go to such lengths to protect nothing.  Also Odium's forces don't know either assuming that the sleepless have done their job correctly.  This might make them suspicious.  We have no idea what kind of defenses of people are on that island or if it could stand up against a determined enemy.
  • It would be really bad if we lost the Azir oathgate.  Azir is the least damaged of all of the radiant allies.  However for that very reason it is likely the toughest target.
  • The assault on Thaylen city failed during Oathbringer.  I personally don't see it succeeding afterward especially if Thaylenah starts a ship building phase.  That being said the Marat army could do a bunch of damage to the less protected cities along Theylenah's coastline.
  • An assault on The shattered plains could be devastating to Alethi moral.  This could be dangerous in the extreme.  On the up side plenty of Alethi soldiers are there and the terrain is defensible. 
Edited by Ookla the Prolific

On 1/10/2020 at 4:27 PM, Gilphon said:

I love Rock as much as the next guy but I'm super pumped for Rysn. We don't know half as much about her and getting lore on Aimia would be awesome.

I could see it being a lot like Edgedancer. Only a novella by the broadest of terms, not neccesarily essential for the story, but still adds some depth and background lore.